Do you get off as soon as you can...

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
...or are you willing to let it linger? On the runway that is.

Situation: sleepy (for the most part) class D, perpendicular runways each with a parallel taxiway. Aircraft in runup area for runway I will land on. Runup aircraft hasn’t called ready. No aircraft moving in ramp area.

Land. While rolling out tower calls right when able. Next right doable if brakes used. Next right will put me on taxiway blocking its use for any aircraft taxing out. The right after that will let me go directly to the ramp.

Question: let it roll or use the brakes?

Obviously no wrong answer, just a philosophical question about clearing a runway as soon as possible. I nearly always chose to clear the runway as soon as practicable.

Using brakes causes wear to the brakes. Stay off of them and let it roll.

I will clear as soon as able with traffic following.

Depends. Will the next turn require hard braking or minimal braking? If minimal, I'd exit. Otherwise, roll on to the next. But adding in what you wrote about blocking a taxiway or having a direct route to the ramp, I'd roll on to the second exit regardless.

Using brakes causes wear to the brakes. Stay off of them and let it roll.

I will clear as soon as able with traffic following.
Couldn't agree more. I use brakes for run-ups and little else. My plane lands so short, I almost always make the first turnoff though.

I'm with @Zeldman and the others. If clearing for an arrival behind me I'll expedite, but for guys waiting to go I'll go easy on my brakes. Now, that doesn't mean "taxi to the end" it just means the second (or third) exit is fine and they can hold short for an extra minute. Screwing around and sending someone into another lap through the circuit would be rude.

If its just a when able, Ill use a little braking, Im not going to lay into those rotors though

That said most GA planes should be able to make most early taxiways at towered airports without brakes anyways.

It depends if I'm in a hurry or doing it for pleasure . . .

"Right turn when able" to me does not mean stomp on the brakes and turn--that would be "immediate" or "expedite."

With Cleveland breaks: use them
With early Goodyear breaks: assume you don't have any - because those "pucks" most likely have already left the formation....

I let it roll and get off at an easy exit. If ATC tells me to exit at the first available traffic short final (or traffic in position with another aircraft on final) I'll get on the brakes to help the system.

At $31.85 for a full set of brake linings - mash on them pedals.

Not in a classic Luscombe! :eek:

Not only are the pads expensive, they must be riveted on! I was soooo happy at annual to see my pads were still thick.

On landing, I let her roll and avoid the brakes as much as possible. Rarely have to comply with a controller's instructions.

Depends. Will the next turn require hard braking or minimal braking? If minimal, I'd exit. Otherwise, roll on to the next. But adding in what you wrote about blocking a taxiway or having a direct route to the ramp, I'd roll on to the second exit regardless.
yup. what he said.

As a point of contrast earlier in the day I got cleared to land on my 10 mile call to one of the busiest Deltas in the country. After landing the instruction was “take any right” so I did. They didn’t ask for me to give it back either although I was told that airport ops was watching me...

Not only are the pads expensive, they must be riveted on! I was soooo happy at annual to see my pads were still thick.

Ah man you need to learn how easy it is to replace those riveted brake linings. Riveted brake linings is standard stuff anyway.

not really... wait you are talking about getting off the runway.... ughhh

Ah man you need to learn how easy it is to replace those riveted brake linings. Riveted brake linings is standard stuff anyway.
As long as ya don’t get into the rotor all is well. One aborted take-off can set you back $100 really quick.

Even if the tower says exit next taxiway, if I have to get on the brakes a bit too much. I’m rolling.

Usually towers says exit next taxiway,if able. You are in command of your aircraft,might upset them a little,but it’s really no big deal.

Next right doable if brakes used. Next right will put me on taxiway blocking its use for any aircraft taxing out. The right after that will let me go directly to the ramp.
Just as an aside, runway connections direct to ramps are now no-nos in FAA's eyes, so that option will go away with the next taxiway rehab.

Simple Answer: What am I missing here? "Exit the Runway as Soon as Practical" without delays! Humbly, this means to Me...Land Safetly, EXIT the Runway in an expedient Manner unless there are extenuating circumstances...PERIOD. At ALL Times....unless there is an emergency aircraft instantly behind you that is on fire and in grave need....Common Sense also applies here.

Take off as soon as it’ll fly. Every time. Wind and weight determine the distance.

Landing? Tie down at the cabin is mid field on a 1000’ strip. I’d rather use brakes and pull in than pass by and taxi back. At the 2100’ city strip the first exit is 1000’ down field when the winds are normal. I touch comfortably near the threshold and need power to taxi to the exit. If the airspace is busy I’ll touch down closer to the exit to minimize my runway presence.

Which will possibly have the effect of keeping landing aircraft on the runway longer.
Maybe, maybe not. We have to design jogs in the connector intersections now so that you need to make a conscious turn when exiting the ramp before you get to a runway. Offset for the two segments is determined by the critical aircraft for that part of the airport. We do simulations to optimize the exit location to minimize runway occupancy time. The original design may not have involved that level of analysis, depending on the airport.

I'm learning in a Cirrus, where you know the brakes are a concern since part of the preflight is to check the brake temperature stickers to make sure they've never overheated. The tower at my airport is used to them rolling all the way to the end of the 2400' runway before exiting. Sometimes it's a little depressing when you have to stop on the taxiway and wait for a plane that landed after you to turn off in front of you :)

Back