Do you dream about aviation?

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
I am sure I am not the first one to ask about this here. But why not discuss aviation in our night-time dreams? (no, daydreaming does NOT count ;) )

This is prompted by my nice dream from last night (early morning, I'd say) where I decided to join an airline and underwent their training which was fun. (I was the oldest in the class filled with "kids")
The next thing I know, I am wearing 4 stripes on my shoulders and #3 and #4 flame out (shoddy maintenance caused fuel leak from the right wing and the FO did not monitor our fuel status sufficiently). I declare and make an uneventful diversion to SLC.

Share your strange flying dreams.

Funny that you mentioned. I actually just had a dream I had a left engine failure departing some airport.

Last night dreamt about a jet crashing at Telluride. Weird dream because the plane flipped upside down, came to a rest and they ordered everyone to stay in the plane due to some regulation. They couldn't get out until the paperwork was right. Weird.

Most of my aviation dreams involve crashing.

I also dream about plane crashes frequently

I used to have a recurring dream about a young girl running across the ramp toward my spinning prop, and I'd struggle to get the engine shut down in time.

Fortunately I haven't had that dream in years. Ugh.

One dream, I was flying checks at night in an old barely equipped for IFR C-210. Then I woke up to find I was flying checks in an old barely equipped for IFR C-210....

Shet I did it in crappy basic instruments C172. When bossman flew one he took the C310R w/ radar. Bastard. :D

Recurring dream - Taking off from a highway (for reasons unknown). Break ground, but every time I try to climb there are overhead wires. I continue flying 10' AGL, no break in the wires and too much traffic to set back down. This goes on until I wake up in a cold sweat.

Last edited:
I have a recurring dream where I finish my plane and during the first few hours of flight testing there is a drastic control loss and I have to bail out. I am then watching my plane that I spent 2000 hours building in a death spiral while I am under the canopy of my parachute. Right before I get to the wreckage I wake up every time.

Usually its career related, ie I never make 1500 hours or lose my medical right before I get hired and get loss of medical insurance, or i'm 50 years old and just an FO at regional. All negative stuff lol.

I dream about flying frequently. Probably more than half of my remembered dreams are happy dreams about flying.

Often I can fly without planes. Lots of those kinds of dreams. Mostly flying from tree to tree to building like a small bird than like superman (at airplane altitudes with no effort).

I often dream about skydiving.

I occasionally dream about flying skydivers.

I've had a dream where I was flying my RV, had an engine out, and pulled the red handle. (it was on the panel where many have the canopy release)

Oddly enough, I've had more flying dreams while riding commercial flights than I have had at home or hotel in bed.

Also odd, in my dreams I've never over shot the turn to final. :)

Very odd, but every so often I have dreams of witnessing an airplane crash. No clue why.
Although my job is a pilot, I don't ever recall dreaming about the day to day stuff at work.
I'm always a Mike or so away watching a plane go down.
Quite odd actually.

Occasionally, 2 or 3 times a year, I'll have a dream where I am flying and suddenly the floor of the plane falls away. I mean the entire floor is gone. Nothing falls out. I look down and think to myself, well now its going to get windy, and that is all I remember.

I am sure I am not the first one to ask about this here. But why not discuss aviation in our night-time dreams? (no, daydreaming does NOT count ;) )

This is prompted by my nice dream from last night (early morning, I'd say) where I decided to join an airline and underwent their training which was fun. (I was the oldest in the class filled with "kids")
The next thing I know, I am wearing 4 stripes on my shoulders and #3 and #4 flame out (shoddy maintenance caused fuel leak from the right wing and the FO did not monitor our fuel status sufficiently). I declare and make an uneventful diversion to SLC.

Share your strange flying dreams.

Landed in SLC and didn't even call me. Some friend you are.:rolleyes:

I have a recurring dream where I finish my plane and during the first few hours of flight testing there is a drastic control loss and I have to bail out. I am then watching my plane that I spent 2000 hours building in a death spiral while I am under the canopy of my parachute. Right before I get to the wreckage I wake up every time.

I'd take that any day over going down with the wreckage.

Do y'all really dream like this? Really really really? :eek: :(

I dream about the first flight of my new Cub build just about every night.

But there are so many other things to dream about, you know, women, classic cars, beer, boobs etc. :)
Come to think of it, I had another dream last night and this time I was flying a helicopter (the finicky R22). The dream ended nicely with a gorgeous girl. ;) It was a nice ending ... but not a happy ending. :D

I had a dream last night that my buddy needed me to fly a P-51 in a four ship formation. Since I don't have any Mustang or even tail dragger time I was quite worried about the takeoff. I was so excited about flying the Mustang that there was no way I was going to admit that I may not be able to do it. Unfortunately I woke up when I cracked the canopy open so I never got to see how the story ended. I'm sure I aced the entire flight though......

Come to think of it, I had another dream last night and this time I was flying a helicopter (the finicky R22). The dream ended nicely with a gorgeous girl. ;) It was a nice ending ... but not a happy ending. :D

Are you sure it wasn't? Have you checked your...never mind. :D

I have a recurring dream, since I was a teenager, where I'm trying to taxi a B-25J and I'm surrounded by trees.
I have no idea why it's a "J" model.
The trees are a little weird, also.

... but every time I try to climb there are overhead wires. ...

Overhead wires... My recurring dream had me flying, but without an airplane. It was like swimming underwater, but in the air. Gravity operated the same way that buoyancy does, but in the opposite direction - If you stopped "swimming", you would slowly float back to earth. A common factor in these dreams was the presence of overhead power lines.

I stopped having these dreams when I started PPL training. Since then, the only flying dream I've had was that I was doing preflight runup before taking the runway when a bear came up from behind, chewed up the empennage, and then walked into the spinning propeller.

Great, Just Great.!!!

This thread caused me to have an aviation nightmare early this morning.

I was woke up due to business around 4am, finally got back to bed around 6am. As I was falling asleep, I dreamed I was a passenger on a commercial flight. There was some not very pleasant sound going on, and I was asking myself what it could be when suddenly the plane went inverted and started a dive towards the ground. On the way down, I was saying to the person next to me that we will not pull out of this....

Not really wanting to go back to sleep now.

Great, Just Great.!!!

This thread caused me to have an aviation nightmare early this morning.

I was woke up due to business around 4am, finally got back to bed around 6am. As I was falling asleep, I dreamed I was a passenger on a commercial flight. There was some not very pleasant sound going on, and I was asking myself what it could be when suddenly the plane went inverted and started a dive towards the ground. On the way down, I was saying to the person next to me that we will not pull out of this....

Not really wanting to go back to sleep now.

You didn't recently watch that Denzel Washington stupid movie did you? :D

You didn't recently watch that Denzel Washington stupid movie did you? :D
I assume not since he said that they turned inverted and THEN they went down. In Denzel's fairy-tale, they went down first, then fixed it by inversion. LOL
I was hoping they had chosen a more plausible scenario. Afterall, the movie was not about the actual heroic flying but the surrounding consequences. *shrug*
Water under the bridge now ...

I used to have a recurring dream about a young girl running across the ramp toward my spinning prop, and I'd struggle to get the engine shut down in time.

I had a dream that I was at the airport with my toddler, and was walking across the ramp with him and he slipped his hand out of mine and ran right in front of a taxiing aircraft. My feet wouldn't move fast enough, and i watched him helplessly run into a spinning prop.

Wasn't a dream for me.

Years ago, I was doing a charter in a C-172 out of Bethel, Alaska to a small native village south on the Kuskokwim River. Only 2 people, no bags, they just wanted to get home.

As I landed on the dirt strip, my pencil fell to the floor. I pulled into the tiny ramp area which is not fenced, not paved and part of the walkway through the village. When I stopped, still sitting in the left front seat, I opened the door and let the folks out. After closing the door, I pushed in the mixture, turned on the mags and then decided to retrieve my pencil since I would need it. I bent down to grab the pencil and as I sat back up a 3-4 year old little girl walked from the front of the plane and into my view right under the prop.

I almost soiled my trousers. I turned off the mags, got out and took the little native girls hand and walked her back to the edge of the ramp. I tried to explain to her that airplanes are dangerous and she should not walk up to a plane unless she is with her parents or a pilot.

I got back into the plane, but I was shaking so bad I knew I could not fly. Instead I got out and sat on the ground until I could stand without feeling faint.

When I got back to Bethel, I told the station manager what had happened. He opened a drawer on his desk and pulled out a bottle. Then he poured four fingers into a glass and told me to go back to the pilot house and come back tomorrow.

My DPE when I got my PPC at McGuire AFB Aero Club, Dick Cherry I think, saw his Dad walking on a grass runway or parking area and right into a taxing tail dragger's propeller, killing him. I think the grass strip was in Pemberton NJ.

Last edited:
I've had flying dreams as long as I can remember. However, there was never a plane involved, just me, up in the air/clouds, looking down at the world below. They were always good dreams, and I would dream them at least once or twice a week, from the time I was a young kid well into adulthood. The day I flew my first flight lesson, the dreams left me, and 10 years later, I've still not had another one. I think my mind was just telling me where I needed to go to find my dreams in real life.

Recurring dream - Taking off from a highway (for reasons unknown). Break ground, but every time I try to climb there are overhead wires. I continue flying 10' AGL, no break in the wires and too much traffic to set back down. This goes on until I wake up in a cold sweat.
Yeah, this one, more or less; wires, and/or wires and buildings all around; it ended once with a forced landing in a creek bed, in a C141A, which I' never flew. . .

Back