Do Insurance Companies Use Failures?

Garavar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Garavar
Doing IFR training and concerned about not passing Checkride. Was curious if insurance companies look at failed Checkride to determine insurance rates? Not even sure if they have the ability to check that or not.

I have never had an insurance company ask and that's the only way they would know.

Neither of the two insurance companies I received quotes from asked.

Never heard of it, but now that you let the cat out of the bag they might!

I’ve never seen this in my experience.

Now concentrate on WHY you feel this way and work on your perceived weak areas.

Test jitters are normal. But do you truly have some deficiencies? Study and flying is the key to success.

Building the check ride into a "if I don't pass all these horrible things will happen" is a bad idea. You're just demonstrating you have the required knowledge and skills. On any given day, any given applicant can fail to demonstrate they can do it, for any number of reasons. Doesn't mean anything other than you have to try again to demonstrate it.

Obviously, you should do your best to prepare, but stressing about it is counter productive.

No, they don't care. I busted a step-down altitude on my first IR checkride due to letting myself get rushed. Never a question about it in 19 years since, but I'm reminded about it in my head every time a start an approach!

My insurance is through our club, so that will bias my answer, however...

I failed my first instrument ride. The examiner did it fair and square. I got too low on a non-precision approach. Did not have that problem on the re-ride. Have I ever had a question about it from an insurance company? No, I have not. Don't worry about it, you have bigger things to worry about.

Never heard of the insurance company’s checking on check rides . They might be interested if you damaged an airplane when failing the ride.

In the same boat as everyone else I’ve never heard any agent asking about checkride failures

I would guess that if the insurance companies actually compared checkride busts with insurance payouts, they’d find it statistically insignificant.

More important - relax, and good luck on the ride!

I agree with the ones above. I've tanked check rides of various kinds.

Relax, and do what you know how to do. If you don't know, look it up or ask. It's a check ride not an inquisition.

--Matt

I agree with the ones above. I've tanked check rides of various kinds.

Relax, and do what you know how to do. If you don't know, look it up or ask. It's a check ride not an inquisition.

--Matt

No one expects...... THE SPAINISH INQUISITION CHECK RIDE

Was curious if insurance companies look at failed Checkride to determine insurance rates?

No, but they will go back and check your permanent record. YOUR PERMANENT RECORD.!! A friend of a friend was not able to get a pilot license because they found out how badly he teased his little sister when he was younger....

Teasing? Don't forget Filthy Mouths and Bad Attitude

Back