Do I need an IFR check?

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
I had a GNC355 and G5 installed in my plane and I had a Garmin GTX330 transponder at that time. I am not taking out the GTX330 and having a different avionics shop install the GTX330ES with ADS-B and they said they can either do a VFR verification for $250 or an IFR verification for $450.

I plan on getting my IFR ticket this year but it seems to me that this would have been done when they installed the GNC355 and G5. If so, does it need to be done again with a new transponder swap?

Big question is what does your logbook Say, Have the "IFR" and "VFR" checks been done and documented. I am not an expert but I would expect the "IFR" pitot Static Check would still be valid. But my understanding is since you changed Transponder Boxes the "VFR" Transponder check will need to be done again.

Brian

If you didn’t pay for the $450 check..... you’d need too.

Perhaps the first thing to do is determine what a “VFR check” and an “IFR check” is, then see if and when the last time they were done is. Once that is done it might help determine which, if any check would need to be completed when the new transponder is installed.

My suggestion is to assume nothing was done unless you verify it in the logs. I’ve had major avionics work performed and assumed they’d check things afterward but they didn’t because I never requested it. Lesson learned...

I just looked in my logs and I don't see an IFR check completed so I should probably get it done.

If so, does it need to be done again with a new transponder swap?
It's difficult/impossible to piecemeal 91.411 for IFR especially from two separate shops. Best to get fresh 24 month 411/413 checks.

I just looked in my logs and I don't see an IFR check completed so I should probably get it done.

Are you looking for the term "IFR check" or a reference to a regulation commonly referred to as the "IFR check?" I have never seen a logbook with either the specific term "VFR check" or "IFR check" in them but many that cite the regulations.

OP, you probably mean the 91.411 checks (altimeter, encoder and pitot/static) which is required for legal IFR flight. The transponder check (91.413), which also happens to fall on a 24 month recurrency, is required for the transponder regardless of the intended flight rules of operation.

So if I were a betting man, I'd guess when the shop quoted you a "VFR check" and an "IFR check", they probably meant $250 for the transponder check only, and $450 for the transponder check plus the 91.411 checks (altimeter/enconder/pitot-static).

It's difficult/impossible to piecemeal 91.411 for IFR especially from two separate shops. Best to get fresh 24 month 411/413 checks.

Why is it impossible/difficult? I did this the last go around. It was as difficult as having someone install the transponder and doing the cert on it after the install. Then the impossible task of flying 6 minutes away to have the static check done.

Why is it impossible/difficult?
OP didn't think he needed to or wanted to repeat the 43 App E checks from his GNC355/G5 91.411 sign-off when he had the GTX330ES installed. So it's difficult or impossible to split the single sign off for 91.411 which requires both 43 App E & F checks for IFR ops. You had both the E & F checks done by separate shops.

Back