Do I need AFSP clearence?

dennisc172

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dennis
Hi Guys,

I am struggeling to get to know if I need to a AFSP (Alien Flight Student Program) clearance or not. I contacted their office a few times but nobody wants to give my a clear answer. "Look at our site"...

I have a foreign based PPL license with ASEL rating and based in the Netherlands. When I go to the states I will do a BFR, a few lessons in density operations and after that I will do solo flights for pleasure. I don't want to upgrade my ratings.

In my opinion this does not fall under their program as I am not a student. I assume that when I got approved for my FAA license they already did these security checks?

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

Regards,
Dennis

Last edited:
Some people do require AFSP - see https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/afsp2/?acct_type=c&section=WN, under the regulatory tab.

For someone who has their certificate already and is not seeking a new certificate, there is no action, even for a Flight Review, because there is no category under which you can even apply to AFSP. Expect that some flight instructors will not know that.

If you want an upgrade, such as a new IFR certificate, then ASFP will apply.

I had a client with a FAA certificate based on a European certificate. What I learned after spending most of a day calling everyone I could think of was that if Orville and Wilber are on your FAA certificate you have been “vetted” and are good to go.

I have not had good luck communicating with the Alien Flight Student Program despite being registered as a flight school and to date I have not had a single successful experience with two currently in the works.

if Orville and Wilber are on your FAA certificate you have been “vetted” and are good to go.
...unless you're looking to add "instrument" or "multiengine" to it for the first time. Then the TSA wants to vet you again. Right?

...unless you're looking to add "instrument" or "multiengine" to it for the first time. Then the TSA wants to vet you again. Right?
I don't know, I did not ask that. He wanted to add a Commercial Pilot, Rotorcraft-Gyroplane rating to Private Pilot.
I was left with the feeling that once you were "vetted" you were done.
I could not find anyone who would take responsibility for their answers.

I think so yes...., as you will be a 'student' in that case and will follow flight training.

What does their site say?

"The mission of the Alien Flight Student Program (AFSP) is to ensure that foreign students seeking training at flight schools regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) do not pose a threat to aviation or national security."

"Persons seeking flight training must submit a request if they are not citizens or nationals of the U.S. and:
  • They wish to receive flight training in the U.S. or its territories, regardless of whether training will lead to an FAA certificate or type rating; and/or
  • They wish to receive flight training from an FAA-certificated facility, provider, or instructor that could lead to an FAA rating whether in the U.S. or abroad."
Especially the first point where they say IF you do training regardless ....that made me think I need one.

The attachment is what I got from the "AFSP HELPDESK".

Attachments

• note.png
    note.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I don't believe you need afsp. The training you need is not listed as one of the events that requires it.

This.

I just did the Foreign PPL verification from my Mexican license.

Easy process. Letter received 2 weeks after I submitted the documents, visit to FSDO took 20 min.
The Flight Review is easy just read all the regs. I bought the FAR and read all the FAA material I could find

Now, just waiting for my plastic certificate

n to get his plastic student cert.

Back