Do I need a commercial cert?

in the most simple terms, if the flight is incidental to your business, or in case of giving someone a ride, you were going anyway, then you have nothing to worry about.
How about the part of the incidental exception that says, "The aircraft does not carry passengers or property for compensation or hire"? in simple terms, the Mangiamele Chief Counsel interpretation says that means no passengers on a compensated incidental business flight.

I think you’re fine. Remember that the FAA does not require that a private pilot keep any record of passengers or items carried, nor any financial records for flights. So...

1) Don’t keep any.
2) Don’t discuss it publicly (like on an Internet forum).
3) Don’t mention it to a CFI.
4) Don’t worry about it.

Many regulatory drownings could be avoided by not making waves in the first place.
He seems to be asking about regulatory compliance rather than getting away with something.

He seems to be asking about regulatory compliance rather than getting away with something.

He’s not doing anything to get away with (with which to get away?) in the first place, but it’s never advisable to attract unnecessary federal attention.

My only dealings with the feds (as a pilot) were entirely pleasant and cooperative. And to be clear-I had screwed up! You can read details here: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...there-of-and-airspace-long.39513/#post-658867

That said, I do know that a retired tanker I used to work with said "It's never good to be to close to the flagpole." Meaning close to headquarters, or in this case the FAA.

The reality is there are some FAA employees who are nice, cooperative and helpful. There are some who are vindictive, authoritarian and looking for trouble. (Sometimes it probably depends on the day.) What those percentages are I have no idea. But a bad one can really screw up your ability to fly -as happened to Bob Hoover.

My own experience in dealing with government functionaries is that if you are trying to do the right thing they will help. If they ever get the idea that you are trying to put one over on them, look out!

How would common purpose apply if I was doing EAA eagle flights, angel flights, pilots n paws or the other types of volunteer flights where I use my own plane while providing a "service." I do not believe you need anything more than a PPL and IFR.
First, no compensation changes hands, so the FAA gives you slack in the interpretation. Second, common sense says you're doing a good deed supported by a non-profit organization well known to the FAA and like it or not, there is ambiguity in the regulations. From the FAA's perspective, that ambiguity is a feature not a bug because like Justice Potter Stewart, they can't define it clearly but they know it when they see it (just ask them).

BTW I fly EAA eagles and young eagles too, also family & friends. I don't agree with the opinion of OP's CFI, I'm just pointing out that the rules that the FAA uses in these situations are a mix of statutory regulations (such as 61.113) and also case interpretations that don't appear in the regulations (such "common purpose").

If you want that guidance straight from horse's mouth: https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_61-142.pdf

First, no compensation changes hands, so the FAA gives you slack in the interpretation. Second, common sense says you're doing a good deed supported by a non-profit organization well known to the FAA and like it or not, there is ambiguity in the regulations.
And more importantly, two of them have specific documentation from the FAA saying they’re acceptable operations WRT 61.113, and the third only gives local rides, so the reg doesn’t apply.

Last edited:
its his business, he is not being compensated.
Oh, I thought when you said it was incidental to his business, you were referring to 61.113(b) which allows being compensated (with exceptions) for flights incidental to business. My mistake. Sorry.

BTW, I don't have an answer to the question. I know just enough to know I don't know enough. Except - I agree the CFI is a dick who probably knows less than he thinks he does.

I’ve flown people between airports for free when I had no purpose other than helping out. Spent two days doing it, as did numerous others, when we had some severe flooding a few years back.

Have to be careful with this one. And it is the one the CFI was referencing. The FAA's concern is that the passengers may not know the difference between someone just being a nice guy and a 135 operation.

A number of years ago we had two bridges wash out on a holiday weekend trapping hundreds of people at a mountain resort town. There was no ground transportation for about 2 weeks.
in a true emergency evacuation I am sure the FAA would sort of look the other way. But in this case I am sure in part due to the 135 operators complaints, The FAA started meeting aircraft at the airports and interviewing passengers to see if they viewed the operation as a service or just a friend helping out. i.e. How do you know the pilot? How much did you pay for the flight?

Brian

It was mentioned somewhere that the FAA could consider flight hours as “compensation” even if the pilot pays 100% of the cost while shuttling a buddy. Is that really so? I may see a point here for someone who’s building hours towards the airlines but in my example, I have no intentions to become an airline or any other sort of pilot for hire that requires me to build hours. If anyone told me “hours” is compensation for me, I’d laugh. It cost me money to fly and I will never see a return on that money spent and the hours I accumulated regardless of whether I fly by myself or with someone. Would a court really consider hours as a form of compensation if I can show that I have a stable career that pays more than what most airline pilots earn, already have enough hours for a commercial cert but don’t get my commercial cert nor upgrade my medical. I think the FAA would have a hard time convincing a court that hours are a form of compensation for someone like me.

It was mentioned somewhere that the FAA could consider flight hours as “compensation” even if the pilot pays 100% of the cost while shuttling a buddy. Is that really so? I may see a point here for someone who’s building hours towards the airlines but in my example, I have no intentions to become an airline or any other sort of pilot for hire that requires me to build hours. If anyone told me “hours” is compensation for me, I’d laugh. It cost me money to fly and I will never see a return on that money spent and the hours I accumulated regardless of whether I fly by myself or with someone. Would a court really consider hours as a form of compensation if I can show that I have a stable career that pays more than what most airline pilots earn, already have enough hours for a commercial cert but don’t get my commercial cert nor upgrade my medical. I think the FAA would have a hard time convincing a court that hours are a form of compensation for someone like me.
You’d probably have to go to court to find out for sure, but contrary to popular opinion, the FAA treats everyone pretty much the same.

It was mentioned somewhere that the FAA could consider flight hours as “compensation” even if the pilot pays 100% of the cost while shuttling a buddy. Is that really so? I may see a point here for someone who’s building hours towards the airlines but in my example, I have no intentions to become an airline or any other sort of pilot for hire that requires me to build hours. If anyone told me “hours” is compensation for me, I’d laugh.

FAA Memorandum to Don Bobertz, May 18, 2009: "With respect to conducting the flights for compensation, your request notes that the pilot, who holds an ATP certificate, argues that any time logged on these flights should not count as compensation because building general aviation flying time in a Cessna 172 does not advance his career. Generally, accrual of flight time is compensation and the FAA does not enter into a case-by-base analysis to determine whether the logging of flight time is of value to a particular pilot. Legal Interpretation to John W. Harrington, from Donald Byrne, Assistant Chief Counsel (Oct. 23, 1997) [1997-23]."

I still think in many (most) cases, the best approach is to share minimal information with people who do not have the need to know. I see nothing wrong with outright lying to nosy busybodies with the significant caveat being provided they are not a Federal Official/Agent.

That being said, I have had three very successful interactions with three different FSDOs. All three times they appeared to be honestly interested in safety and preventing future occurrences/deviations/incidents. Still, I would not go poking at the beehive with a stick for no good reason or just to try and make a point.

It was mentioned somewhere that the FAA could consider flight hours as “compensation” even if the pilot pays 100% of the cost while shuttling a buddy. Is that really so?
Yes they could (not necessarily that they will), and the FAA doc I linked above says this.
If anyone told me “hours” is compensation for me, I’d laugh. It cost me money to fly and I will never see a return on that money spent and the hours I accumulated regardless of whether I fly by myself or with someone. ... I think the FAA would have a hard time convincing a court that hours are a form of compensation for someone like me.
Whether the FAA would do this depends on the "totality of the situation" as perceived by the FAA on a case by case basis - which BTW they also state in the doc linked above.

Have to be careful with this one. And it is the one the CFI was referencing. The FAA's concern is that the passengers may not know the difference between someone just being a nice guy and a 135 operation.

A number of years ago we had two bridges wash out on a holiday weekend trapping hundreds of people at a mountain resort town. There was no ground transportation for about 2 weeks.
in a true emergency evacuation I am sure the FAA would sort of look the other way. But in this case I am sure in part due to the 135 operators complaints, The FAA started meeting aircraft at the airports and interviewing passengers to see if they viewed the operation as a service or just a friend helping out. i.e. How do you know the pilot? How much did you pay for the flight?

Brian
Might not know the difference? The fact that nobody asked for nor paid anyone a penny might have been a clue that they weren't hiring a commercial operator. A sizeable number of local pilots were airlifting people and supplies for a few days when a town got essentially cut off from the outside world. Everyone was perfectly well aware (I know, because I was there when they were all told) that these were private pilots doing this at their own expense in their own planes. There weren't any 135 operators in evidence, and the FAA was well aware of everything going on -- the newspapers and TV stations covered it both days. I'm sure if they heard or saw something they objected to, they'd have showed up or picked up the phone and called one of the FBOs people were using and let them know. None of that happened.

I suppose it's theoretically possible that someone might have been able to take offense if they really wanted to. I'm not inclined to play FAR lawyer long enough to prove one way or the other. Quite honestly, though, if the situation happened again I'd do exactly the same thing. Someone from the FAA wants it to stop? All they need do is ask (and maybe point to the specific regulation that prohibits it). Someone finds out after the fact and wants to raise a stink? Fine, suspend me. I don't do this for a living, never will. And no, that's not an "anti-authority" attitude, it's an "I'll help people out when I can unless and until forced to stop" attitude.

I have been reading these posts with interest but couldn't help thinking that there are a lot of misconceptions that leads to a lot of misunderstanding about this topic. I am not a lawyer but I want to post my thinking and get a check on my logic. So here goes.

1) From what I've read in the regs, there is a lot of things a pilot can do as long as there is no "compensation or hire". This phrase has been brought up here but let's realize it means charging for flight services. e.g. charging money to give people rides or transporting property (cargo). The OP is not charging anyone, so there is no compensation or hire.

2) "Common Purpose" has been brought up. I agree with @DaleB that this only comes into play if the pilot wants to share expenses. The OP is not even doing that, so that is not applicable. That's why eagle flights are totally OK...the pilot is paying all the expenses.

3) What about "holding out"? This has to do with determining whether REVENUE flights fall into the categories of Private Carriage or Common Carriage, if I am not mistaken. Again, the OP is NOT talking about revenue flights here.

4) This concept that flight time is compensation. If I remember correctly, this may have to do with someone offering a pilot an opportunity to get free or highly discounted flight time. Something like, giving a pilot unlimited free use of an airplane. And, this situation may be argued that the time is compensation. But here, it is the OP's own plane and there are expenses which he has paid.

5) And "Goodwill"? I just can't believe this is really a thing that equates to compensation.

So what do you think? Thanks.

I have been reading these posts with interest but couldn't help thinking that there are a lot of misconceptions that leads to a lot of misunderstanding about this topic. I am not a lawyer but I want to post my thinking and get a check on my logic. So here goes.
2) "Common Purpose" has been brought up. I agree with @DaleB that this only comes into play if the pilot wants to share expenses. The OP is not even doing that, so that is not applicable. That's why eagle flights are totally OK...the pilot is paying all the expenses.
4) This concept that flight time is compensation. If I remember correctly, this may have to do with someone offering a pilot an opportunity to get free or highly discounted flight time. Something like, giving a pilot unlimited free use of an airplane. And, this situation may be argued that the time is compensation. But here, it is the OP's own plane and there are expenses which he has paid.

Your point (2) is correct. The FAA says the common purpose rule only applies when sharing expenses. But the FAA can get creative about what constitutes compensation, and tie that to sharing expenses. So if the FAA doesn't like something you did, they could apply a creative definition of compensation to say you shared expenses, then get you for not having a common purpose for the flight.

Check out paragraph 7.1.3 of the FAA guidance doc I linked above.

Eagle flights are OK because it's a charitable cause that the FAA knows about and approves.

Your point (2) is correct. The FAA says the common purpose rule only applies when sharing expenses. But the FAA can get creative about what constitutes compensation, and tie that to sharing expenses. So if the FAA doesn't like something you did, they could apply a creative definition of compensation to say you shared expenses, then get you for not having a common purpose for the flight.

Check out paragraph 7.1.3 of the FAA guidance doc I linked above.

Eagle flights are OK because it's a charitable cause that the FAA knows about and approves.
Thanks. But I still read it as applying to shared expenses. Especially this phrase explaining it in what you cited:

"...and recognized the FAA’s “common purpose test” as a LIMITATION ON THE EXPENSE-SHARING provision of § 61.113(c).

Help me out a bit more here. Seems they can challenge your pro-rata share. But it you pay everything, then there's nothing to challenge.

From reading all of this, it seems to me that most of the time if you do a good deed for someone that requires the use of your plane and your abilities as a pilot, though it may not be completely allowed by the regs, the vast majority of the time it will not result in any untoward issues or attention. However, there is always the chance someone from the FAA may decide it is your day to be tortured and then you could be in a heap of hurt. I guess I would file this under no good deed goes unpunished.

Thanks. But I still read it as applying to shared expenses. Especially this phrase explaining it in what you cited:

"...and recognized the FAA’s “common purpose test” as a LIMITATION ON THE EXPENSE-SHARING provision of § 61.113(c).

Help me out a bit more here. Seems they can challenge your pro-rata share. But it you pay everything, then there's nothing to challenge.

Just because it says one thing doesn't mean the FAA would follow it. They can always try to "get" you if there is something they don't like. Most will simply swallow the fine/punishment but I'm sure if someone who has the means to do so challenges the findings in a court of law, it will most likely go in the favor of the pilot. Maybe not initially but as it climbs up the court ladder after appeals, eventually it will. I luckily have no experience with the FAA in that regard but I do have some experience in that regard with immigration courts (granted, in Canada, not the U.S.). Immigration officers occasionally reject files that shouldn't have been rejected. Most clients just say "oh well" and reapply. Some clients with $$$ go to the courts and very often succeed.

... Help me out a bit more here. Seems they can challenge your pro-rata share. But it you pay everything, then there's nothing to challenge.
Just because it says one thing doesn't mean the FAA would follow it. They can always try to "get" you if there is something they don't like. ...
Indeed, and the FAA says this in the document with phrases like, "There is no specific rule or criteria as to how holding out is achieved. Instead, holding out is determined by assessing the available facts of a specific situation." and "Compensation does not require a profit, profit motive, or the actual payment of funds. Reimbursement of expenses, accumulation of flight time, and good will in the form of expected future economic benefits can be considered compensation."

Hypothetical scenario: you fly some people from point A to point B. You don't have common purpose for the flight, and you think that is OK since you don't share expenses. You receive no compensation. Something bad happens, or someone complains to the FAA. The FAA doesn't like what you did, so they interpret accumulation of flight time as compensation, and the fact that you organized the time & date of the flight on social media, as holding out. Now the FAA claims the flight was common carriage and busts you.

Paragraph 7.1.3 says that if you all did have a common purpose for the flight, that would protect you against this FAA interpretation.

Indeed, and the FAA says this in the document with phrases like, "There is no specific rule or criteria as to how holding out is achieved. Instead, holding out is determined by assessing the available facts of a specific situation." and "Compensation does not require a profit, profit motive, or the actual payment of funds. Reimbursement of expenses, accumulation of flight time, and good will in the form of expected future economic benefits can be considered compensation."

Hypothetical scenario: you fly some people from point A to point B. You don't have common purpose for the flight, and you think that is OK since you don't share expenses. You receive no compensation. Something bad happens, or someone complains to the FAA. The FAA doesn't like what you did, so they interpret accumulation of flight time as compensation, and the fact that you organized the time & date of the flight on social media, as holding out. Now the FAA claims the flight was common carriage and busts you.

Paragraph 7.1.3 says that if you all did have a common purpose for the flight, that would protect you against this FAA interpretation.
Ahhh...so you agree the OP is within the regs but just believe the FAA will manufacture some trumped up charge because they will have a beef with him? OK... I guess I'm just not that cynical.

There was a company (that shall not be named) that was attempting to match up people with "common purpose" along with pilots and airplanes, taking a fee. I thought this was shady and the FAA did make a strong statement saying this will not work.

The OP is not doing anything shady like that.

Now, in your example, you mentioned a few things:

1) Accumulation of flight time. I can't see how this is compensation if the OP is paying for his own flight time.
2) organized on social media/holding out. I didn't see the OP saying that.
3) common carriage. Not a revenue flight, so doesn't apply.

But I think I understand what you are saying and thank you for your insight. Maybe something to consider.

Just because it says one thing doesn't mean the FAA would follow it. They can always try to "get" you if there is something they don't like. Most will simply swallow the fine/punishment but I'm sure if someone who has the means to do so challenges the findings in a court of law, it will most likely go in the favor of the pilot. Maybe not initially but as it climbs up the court ladder after appeals, eventually it will. I luckily have no experience with the FAA in that regard but I do have some experience in that regard with immigration courts (granted, in Canada, not the U.S.). Immigration officers occasionally reject files that shouldn't have been rejected. Most clients just say "oh well" and reapply. Some clients with $$$ go to the courts and very often succeed.
OK...you also don't trust the Feds. I get it. And you have some experience with officials busting the rules in your area. I agree that some low-level lackey can flash a badge and make life miserable for someone totally innocent.

But appears you agree, objectively, the OP is within the regs?

Last edited:
From reading all of this, it seems to me that most of the time if you do a good deed for someone that requires the use of your plane and your abilities as a pilot, though it may not be completely allowed by the regs, the vast majority of the time it will not result in any untoward issues or attention. However, there is always the chance someone from the FAA may decide it is your day to be tortured and then you could be in a heap of hurt. I guess I would file this under no good deed goes unpunished.
Or, in the OP's case, it may INDEED be completely allowed by the regs.

Ahhh...so you agree the OP is within the regs but just believe the FAA will manufacture some trumped up charge because they will have a beef with him? OK... I guess I'm just not that cynical.
If you do something that comes to the FAA's attention and they don't like it, they will find a way to bust you, even if that involves creative interpretation of the regs. Plenty of examples of this. That's where concepts like "common purpose" and "logged hours as compensation" came from - they are not in the statutory regs, but came from cases where the FAA got creative in order to bust someone.

If you do something that comes to the FAA's attention and they don't like it, they will find a way to bust you, even if that involves creative interpretation of the regs. Plenty of examples of this. That's where concepts like "common purpose" and "logged hours as compensation" came from - they are not in the statutory regs, but came from cases where the FAA got creative in order to bust someone.
So The most important thing is to be known to and on good terms with the FAA.

... And you are known and have a good relationship, the capriciousness assumed by @MRC01 will more likely work in your favor.
I don't mean to imply that the FAA is capricious. Yes it's true that the regulations and case law interpretations have ambiguity that works in the FAA's favor when they pursue enforcement. But I believe most of the time the FAA uses this judiciously not capriciously. Reviewing the case history, one can always find a few examples of capricious enforcement, but I believe these are the exceptions not the norm.

I don't mean to imply that the FAA is capricious. Yes it's true that the regulations and case law interpretations have ambiguity that works in the FAA's favor when they pursue enforcement. But I believe most of the time the FAA uses this judiciously not capriciously. Reviewing the case history, one can always find a few examples of capricious enforcement, but I believe these are the exceptions not the norm.
That’s not the impression I (and apparently others) get from your posts. :dunno:

That’s not the impression I (and apparently others) get from your posts. :dunno:
Well then, I'm glad I clarified.
I describe what the FAA can do, and occasionally does do, because it's important for all pilots to know that enforcement is based not only on statutory regs but also case law which introduces new "defacto regulations" as precedents that can't be found in the regs. And case law shows the FAA using this creatively when it suits their enforcement goals. Yet this doesn't imply that I think the FAA does this capriciously.

And just for the record, I don’t think the FAA (or any other federal agency) north or south of the border is “out to get you” or anyone. They aren’t. Honestly, especially most of us here are private pilots flying around in bug smashers, holding down proper jobs or owning legit businesses and don’t really bother anyone. They have bigger fish to fry than us. BUT, every now and then, you do have someone who thinks is God because he/she wears a badge and that’s when things can get ugly. I personally had mostly positive experiences when dealing with federal agencies but occasionally, at no wrong doing on my part, I came across the “I play God because I have a badge” type but luckily I managed to sort them out before having to involve the courts, albeit in one case (in Canada) I did have to take it all the way to the elected minister who oversees that specific government agency.

Well then, I'm glad I clarified.
I describe what the FAA can do, and occasionally does do, because it's important for all pilots to know that enforcement is based not only on statutory regs but also case law which introduces new "defacto regulations" as precedents that can't be found in the regs. And case law shows the FAA using this creatively when it suits their enforcement goals. Yet this doesn't imply that I think the FAA does this capriciously.
I would love to see some of these cases. The only ones I've heard of are of pilots trying to get away with some of their own creativity. If you can point me to some, I'd appreciate it.

And just for the record, I don’t think the FAA (or any other federal agency) north or south of the border is “out to get you” or anyone. They aren’t. Honestly, especially most of us here are private pilots flying around in bug smashers, holding down proper jobs or owning legit businesses and don’t really bother anyone. They have bigger fish to fry than us. BUT, every now and then, you do have someone who thinks is God because he/she wears a badge and that’s when things can get ugly. I personally had mostly positive experiences when dealing with federal agencies but occasionally, at no wrong doing on my part, I came across the “I play God because I have a badge” type but luckily I managed to sort them out before having to involve the courts, albeit in one case (in Canada) I did have to take it all the way to the elected minister who oversees that specific government agency.
I'm glad to hear that. I feel the same way. I know a few people at the local fsdo and they are very nice. I don't see them doing anything untowardly. And they are very busy with other things.

I would love to see some of these cases. The only ones I've heard of are of pilots trying to get away with some of their own creativity. If you can point me to some, I'd appreciate it.
Research the Bob Hoover case from years ago.

Research the Bob Hoover case from years ago.
Didn't that one have to do with medical or something. Yeah...bad. but I was hoping for something closer to this particular topic.

I'm glad to hear that. I feel the same way. I know a few people at the local fsdo and they are very nice. I don't see them doing anything untowardly. And they are very busy with other things.

We don't have FSDOs up here but I know a few people at Transport Canada (TC) that I can turn to when I need something and they have always been good. Can't say the same about everyone at TC, but at least the few I know have been good. I do deal with one FSDO in the U.S. as I also hold an FAA cert and they have been nothing but accommodating and nice. The VAST majority of FAA, TC, IRS, CRA, CBP, CBSA and local law enforcement people are good people, looking out for us rather than trying to "get us". BUT, there are the occasional d***heads in every agency who spoil the reputation of the good ones and require us to be on guard all the time when dealing with these agencies.

I think there are two lessons here. One is that the original CFI is a jerk. But that's just a specific instance. The second lesson is - don't talk about business with strangers. Ever. Fine with family, probably most friends, peers, or often even competitors. But as someone that's owned a business, I can state absolutely that most people are completely clueless about a business, and some of those are just going to try to make things miserable for you because they think they can. The percentage of jealous and petty people in the world is probably less than 2%, but they are an annoying and destructive 2%.

So talk about the weather, your kids, whatever. But how your business runs is none of their d*mn business.

Back