Do I Have a 430W

JoseCuervo

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JoseCuervo
When I bought my plane, I wrote the contract, including the avionics that were installed prior to the annual and possession.

I listed the radio as a 430W.

I was corrected by the seller that it was only a regular Garmin 430, so I made necessary changes to the contract.

Do I actually have a 430w, WAAS capable?

e47da52937bde354b7e37079a3b904a5.jpg

70fb703d1bfcd511804f601c2149b515.jpg

40fb96128a3f7f23020adb107f223fd8.jpg

And does this add any value to me?

78e93825472ad8cd9790bd2005961727.jpg

dc6de43895e6ae1e927222592ebdf00d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a 430W worth about $3000 over a straight 430.

When a 430 gets upgraded by Garmin, they do not change the case, so it still reads the old 430.

But the inside is all changed, as verified by the initialization screen saying 430W.

It also has terrain, which ALL 430Ws have, but very few straight 430s.

It looks like it but pull the data card and look what it says and look at the paperwork that you need to keep in the plane. What does that say?

It looks like it but pull the data card and look what it says and look at the paperwork that you need to keep in the plane. What does that say?

What paperwork do I need to keep in the plane?

Where is the card located?

When I bought my plane, I wrote the contract, including the avionics that were installed prior to the annual and possession.

I listed the radio as a 430W.

I was corrected by the seller that it was only a regular Garmin 430, so I made necessary changes to the contract.

Do I actually have a 430w, WAAS capable?

e47da52937bde354b7e37079a3b904a5.jpg

And does this add any value to me?

I'm fairly certain the 'w' after 430 in the picture means it is waas capable. I'm sure it is worth slightly more than a standard 430 since it let's you shoot lpv approaches to lower minimums compared to just lnav approaches with the standard 430. Plus it will make it easier for you to get ADS-B conplient when the time comes since you already have a waas gps source

Our plane had the standard/non-waas 430 and I don't think it has that 'w'. So I'd could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain I'm right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

What paperwork do I need to keep in the plane?

The upgraded W by Garmin requires the Manual or whatever Garmin supplies to be in the airplane, along with the AROW docs.

THAT IS A 430 WAAS.

What type of rich fool doesn't even know if his expensive GPS is a WAAS or not...

card is on the left side of the unit. Should be 2 slots stacked beside each other.
1 is for airport database, approach charts, freq., etc.
Second is for terrain.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter what cards are in there, it's still a WAAS unit, even if the last normal bright owner out the lower capacity non WAAS cards in there.

I'm fairly certain the 'w' after 430 in the picture means it is waas capable. I'm sure it is worth slightly more than a standard 430 since it let's you shoot lpv approaches to lower minimums compared to just lnav approaches with the standard 430. Plus it will make it easier for you to get ADS-B conplient when the time comes since you already have a waas gps source

Our plane had the standard/non-waas 430 and I don't think it has that 'w'. So I'd could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain I'm right.

That's where I was kinda heading, mapping out the upgrade so ADS-B. And wondered if I was 1/3 the way there.

I am kinda toying with the idea of working on an instrument rating, so wanted to know what I had.

The upgraded W by Garmin requires the Manual or whatever Garmin supplies to be in the airplane, along with the AROW docs.

The FAA requires an owners manual?

THAT IS A 430 WAAS.

What type of rich fool doesn't even know if his expensive GPS is a WAAS or not...

I would be the rich fool. I will assume I am just a slightly above average kind of rich fool. Hate to think of myself as just an average rich fool.

Why would I care, as a VFR pilot, if it was WAAS?

I push the "Direct To" button and it gives me a magenta line to wher I want to go. Should it do more for me?

card is on the left side of the unit. Should be 2 slots stacked beside each other.
1 is for airport database, approach charts, freq., etc.
Second is for terrain.

Thanks. I will pull the cards and look. I assume they are labeled and safe to remove when powered off?

I know it is always setting off terrain warnings when I fly in the canyons and on the sage brush.

That's where I was kinda heading, mapping out the upgrade so ADS-B. And wondered if I was 1/3 the way there.

I am kinda toying with the idea of working on an instrument rating, so wanted to know what I had.

Yep, part of the way there I think.
As for the instrument rating go for it! I'm almost done with my training, checkride is scheduled in just over a week. A waas gps allows you to shoot some lower approaches like I said earlier. If an airport doesn't have an ils this can be the difference between going missed and to an alternate and getting to your destination (*insert typical 'plan ahead, don't try to bank on getting in if it's forecast to be @ minimums, etc')

Doesn't matter what cards are in there, it's still a WAAS unit, even if the last normal bright owner out the lower capacity non WAAS cards in there.

???

"even if the last normal bright owner out the lower capacity non WAAS cards in there."

Is it possible somebody downgraded it after it was upgraded?

Not sure what you wrote there.

Thanks. I will pull the cards and look. I assume they are labeled and safe to remove when powered off?

I know it is always setting off terrain warnings when I fly in the canyons and on the sage brush.

Didn't see this before I replied.
Yeah, pull them out with the power off. They are labeled, but I'm not sure the slots are. We don't have the terrain so I don't have to worry about putting them in the wrong slot if that/if it can happens.

You will appreciate the fact it's a 430wass,if you go for your IFR ticket,also if you upgrade your transponder to ADSB.

I would be the rich fool. I will assume I am just a slightly above average kind of rich fool. Hate to think of myself as just an average rich fool.

I push the "Direct To" button and it gives me a magenta line to wher I want to go. Should it do more for me?

Because you got a lot of money in that box, silly to not know what it's worth.

???

"even if the last normal bright owner out the lower capacity non WAAS cards in there."

Is it possible somebody downgraded it after it was upgraded?

Not sure what you wrote there.

Autocorrect....

Even if someone accidentally put the non WAAS cards in it, because of what that boot up screen says ("430W") it IS a WAAS unit.

Because you got a lot of money in that box, silly to not know what it's worth.

Autocorrect....

Even if someone accidentally put the non WAAS cards in it, because of what that boot up screen says ("430W") it IS a WAAS unit.

But to this point, is there any "value" to the. WAAS box for a VFR pilot?

Kinda like finding an extra 150 $20 bills in the wash =)

The 430W is an extremely capable unit. I fly both WAAS and non-WAAS capable aircraft, and I think that the capability of an LPV approach is a Good Thing.

You will appreciate the fact it's a 430wass,if you go for your IFR ticket,also if you upgrade your transponder to ADSB.

But no value at this point for following magenta lines to direct airports?

Man I hope it is! That 3grand would go a long ways towards your instrument rating!

Man I hope it is! That 3grand would go a long ways towards your instrument rating!

Could I have just used a 430 with the NAV portion for the IFR ticket??

Yes, but the 430W lets you fly precision GPS approaches. It will be more capable actually FLYING IFR.

Yes, but as others said you will need to get it at some point for compliance. The waas is going to give you more options in Instrument conditions.

For what it's worth the DA40 I currently train in does not have waas I really wish it did.

You mean other than the $3400 you just found Out you don't have to dish out for an adsb upgrade?

The 430w is a powerful flight tool. And like most, very few understand its capability. Kind of a, you don't know what yo don't know situation. Get the Garmin gdl88 and you will have traffic, nexrad radar, metars all on the moving map. An off brand box will not talk to the Garmin system.

Today I had two hostile targets where I could see them on the 430W and Mem Ctr was calling them out. Target trend predicted trading paint and I dropped 500 ft and he climbed 500. about 1 min later, he passed righ over me. The other one alerted me and I was able to make visual about 2 miles out and avoid.

I also watched a guy pass me 2 miles left and lower.:sad::sad::sad:

Priceless!

The FAA requires an owners manual?

The FAA requires a POHS.

Pilots operating handbook supplement.

Is that for every radio, or just a Garmin thing?

Any modification to the airplane, which an IFR GPS is, whether you use it or not, requires a supplement in the AFM/POH/whatever your airplane has.

In the case of the G430 series, the supplement usually states that whatever Garmin's operating handbook (don't know the title offhand) is required to be in the airplane as well.

Last I checked, the operating handbook could be downloaded from the Garmin website if you don't have it.

If you don't have an AFM Supplement, you need to go back to the seller and/or find out who did the install to get a replacement copy.

I recall the cards are not interchangeable.....

They use the same card reader, one is just a larger capacity.

But to this point, is there any "value" to the. WAAS box for a VFR pilot?

Of course it does, no one cares about your capabilities when they buy your plane.,they pay for the plane not the old pilot.

Don't feel bad. I was using a buddy's cherokee for a year and didn't know if it was WAAS or not. Until I became instrument rated, I don't know that it really mattered.

Jose. When i was vfr i used the waas all the ti e to shoot LPV. Of course i always did it in VMC but its a great feature - way more capable.

Absolutely get the IFR.

I'm rather surprised the owner told you it was a non-WAAS unit when it clearly is. He must not have known what he had.

For VFR-only use, the WAAS isn't of much benefit right now, other than maybe pinpointing your position a little more precisely. When you get the ADSB mandate installed, you'll be glad you have WAAS position source already equipped. And of course, for IFR it's nice to be able to shoot GPS approaches with vertical guidance.

It's a great box when you dive into using all the features. I'm not a master of it yet, but I'm getting better. Add GPSS and it's virtually heaven:)

Last edited:
Note either way (430 or 430W), you need to have the appropriate flight manual supplement (which in turn I am almost sure) requires the pilot's guide (i.e., manual) to be in the plane as well. Make sure you have the appropriate supplement/manual on board.

The IFR installation also requires an STC and flight test. The STC paperwork should be in your records somewhere as well.

Note either way (430 or 430W), you need to have the appropriate flight manual supplement (which in turn I am almost sure) requires the pilot's guide (i.e., manual) to be in the plane as well. Make sure you have the appropriate supplement/manual on board.

The IFR installation also requires an STC and flight test. The STC paperwork should be in your records somewhere as well.
This is only required to file IFR /G, right? The manual is not required if the box itself is not required for the flight.

This is only required to file IFR /G, right? The manual is not required if the box itself is not required for the flight.

I wouldn't count on that. I think if the box is in the plane, the required supplements have to be in the plane as well.

Back