Do all PPL instructors hold instrument ratings?

Actually, it is exactly what you said. I guess you just forgot a word. I suspected that's what you meant, which is why I asked.
Ahh yes. **instrument instruction received*

Post corrected.

You know, back in the day when I was getting my certs, I'm glad there was no POA. We never worried about this small stuff. Probably mostly because nobody ever did anything in minimum time, but also because nobody knew any better.

You know, back in the day when I was getting my certs, I'm glad there was no POA. We never worried about this small stuff. Probably mostly because nobody ever did anything in minimum time, but also because nobody knew any better.

LOL. I've thought the same thing many times. I've also thought, "Man, those PoA threads really helped study for the CFI Oral!" haha.

I didn't know what a Chief Counsel letter was for twenty years. Not kidding. And honestly I think it's a TERRIBLE system. If you're going to "clarify" the FAR, just re-write the damned thing so it makes sense.

The professional tech writers we used to have in tech companies would have a field day ripping up most of the FARs and re-writing them to match their meaning. I say used to have, because most companies don't hire them anymore, and don't write user manuals for systems and software.

I spent many a day hammering out the proper wording of a user manual with a pro tech writer or three when I was a Product Support engineer. "No, if you word it that way, they're going to do X which will destroy their system..."

And of course if the writing was clear, there wouldn't be endless "logging" debates online, either.

But like I said, all the debates are great study fodder for a budding CFI! Haha. Your students these days are bound to show up eventually saying, "So I read this thing online..."

That's not what I said, don't take it out of context. We've had this conversation last night.

Fly with a CFII and that 3 hours can be counted toward the 15 hrs of dual for the IR. Fly without a -II and it cannot. If you're planning to go IR post private checkride, then you might as well fly with a CFII so those 3 hours can count towards the requirement.
I did almost all my PPL training with the same CFII. He got sick for a week and had me fly with another CFI who didn't have the extra "I". Of course that was the week I did most of the hood work. Oh well.

CFI certificates are specific. They come in three basic flavors, airplane single-engine (ASE), multi-engine (AME), and instrument (Airplane). Your privileges are limited accordingly. I know CFIs with only ASE, some with ASE and instrument, and some with all three. Mix and match. The only issue is with the CFI-Instrument (only). The FAA guidance in 8900.1 states CFI-Is can instruct as long as they hold the appropriate category and class rating for the airplane being used on their commercial pilot certificate. This makes sense, since the pilot being training also would hold the same category and class rating on his/her pilot certificate. You are only teaching instrument flying in an airplane for while they are both already rated. However the Regs say that the ratings must be on BOTH the instructor's CFI and Pilot certificate. This is being clarified in the Regs revision to reflect the FAAs guidance, but that could take awhile given the current state of the government.

CFI certificates are specific. They come in three basic flavors, airplane single-engine (ASE), multi-engine (AME), and instrument (Airplane). Your privileges are limited accordingly. I know CFIs with only ASE, some with ASE and instrument, and some with all three.
So if those are the basic flavors, then Glider, Rotorcraft, Sport Pilot, etc., are the advanced flavors? ;)

So if those are the basic flavors, then Glider, Rotorcraft, Sport Pilot, etc., are the advanced flavors? ;)
I was just being specific to Airplanes...just didn't clarify. Trying to get my wife into gliders.

Back