Do airline crews tell you their names anymore?

I always did; when the pandemic was beginning and there were only five or so pax in the cabin, I took my iPad with me and gave them a personal briefing, route, weather rides, etc.

I can't actually remember the last time someone from the other side of the security door had something interesting to say on the PA.

My usual thought is "dude, I got a podcast/netflix/audiobook here that you're interrupting"

I don't even want the 10,000 feet cleared to play with laptops yadda yadda one anymore. The bing-bong is enough. Nobody cares about the METAR either, wtf is that even about? everyone has phones now and they've been on since the cabin crew strapped in for landing. if people cared about the weather, they already googled it.

I can't actually remember the last time someone from the other side of the security door had something interesting to say on the PA.

My usual thought is "dude, I got a podcast/netflix/audiobook here that you're interrupting"

I don't even want the 10,000 feet cleared to play with laptops yadda yadda one anymore. The bing-bong is enough. Nobody cares about the METAR either, wtf is that even about? everyone has phones now and they've been on since the cabin crew strapped in for landing. if people cared about the weather, they already googled it.

I mostly agree about useless announcements, but sometimes it saddens me, that we've lost something magical. Just this week I was on a flight that flew by the Grand Canyon. Beautiful clear day, and I specifically chose a seat that would let me get a good view. But no surprise, there was no announcement of any kind from the crew. It wasn't that long ago when pilots would actually go out of their way to provide an impromptu tour of the canyon. (Yes, leading to disastrous results one time.)

I mostly agree about useless announcements, but sometimes it saddens me, that we've lost something magical. Just this week I was on a flight that flew by the Grand Canyon. Beautiful clear day, and I specifically chose a seat that would let me get a good view. But no surprise, there was no announcement of any kind from the crew. It wasn't that long ago when pilots would actually go out of their way to provide an impromptu tour of the canyon. (Yes, leading to disastrous results one time.)
Totally agree. It perpetuates the notion that air travel is the same as bus/train travel. When I first started at Delta I asked why we don’t do those announcements anymore and it is agreed that “people don’t care; they want to watch their movie”.

I understand that part as well I suppose but I hate that we deem it ok to interrupt their entertainment or sleep for peddling credit cards and skymiles (honestly has that ever convinced someone to get a credit card???) and for the FA’s to talk endlessly about whatever they feel like. Imagine if we didn’t do all that and the only interruption you had after “prepare the cabin for departure” were actually interesting things. Would that be different?

On Atlantic ocean crossings in the fall we usually get good northern lights views. I try to call the FA’s and tell them to see if anyone on the left side of the plane is awake - have them look out the window. Sadly most people just want to watch their movie.

Totally agree. It perpetuates the notion that air travel is the same as bus/train travel. When I first started at Delta I asked why we don’t do those announcements anymore and it is agreed that “people don’t care; they want to watch their movie”.

I understand that part as well I suppose but I hate that we deem it ok to interrupt their entertainment or sleep for peddling credit cards and skymiles (honestly has that ever convinced someone to get a credit card???) and for the FA’s to talk endlessly about whatever they feel like. Imagine if we didn’t do all that and the only interruption you had after “prepare the cabin for departure” were actually interesting things. Would that be different?

On Atlantic ocean crossings in the fall we usually get good northern lights views. I try to call the FA’s and tell them to see if anyone on the left side of the plane is awake - have them look out the window. Sadly most people just want to watch their movie.

I was just on an Alaskan cruise. The cruise director let us know in no uncertain terms, that if the northern lights became visible the Captain would make an announcement in our cabins, obviously waking us all up. I very much appreciated that! Unfortunately there were none, but it's the thought that counts.

Back