DME choice

Crane Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
crane pilot
If you are a new student pilot do you have to get a reference from your cfi to get your medical or can you do it before you start flying by looking one up on the internet?

If you are a new student pilot do you have to get a reference from your cfi to get your medical or can you do it before you start flying by looking one up on the internet?

There are many TLAs in aviation. DME is most often used to mean Distance Measuring Equipment.

You can simply go to (with an appointment) an AME and get your medical/student cert. No CFI involvement required.

Having said that, if you are not familiar with the process, get some help (AOPA has 6 months free membership for new student pilots and some excellent medical help yourself type resources). The medical has some not-so-obvious gotchas and if you screw it up, you are out of luck. If you're in good health it shouldn't be a problem, but if you've ever taken ADHD drugs or anti-depressants (just to pick two common complications), you need help and guidance to get through the process and a garden variety AME is not going to get it done.

John

Thanks John sorry bout the typo or misleading DME , AME is correct, and i am in good health as far as bp , no diabetes, but am on currently a low dose for cholesterol. which will end shortly.

Thanks John sorry bout the typo or misleading DME , AME is correct, and i am in good health as far as bp , no diabetes, but am on currently a low dose for cholesterol. which will end shortly.

Should be pretty straight forward, but beware the questions on (if I recall correctly) 18 which say "Have you ever?". They mean ever. Any ADHD, Any DUI, anytime in your life.

John

You can simply go to (with an appointment) an AME and get your medical/student cert. No CFI involvement required.

Having said that, if you are not familiar with the process, get some help (AOPA has 6 months free membership for new student pilots and some excellent medical help yourself type resources). The medical has some not-so-obvious gotchas and if you screw it up, you are out of luck. If you're in good health it shouldn't be a problem, but if you've ever taken ADHD drugs or anti-depressants (just to pick two common complications), you need help and guidance to get through the process and a garden variety AME is not going to get it done.

John
Highly recommended. AOPA's "Turbo Medical" lets you go through the application in the non-FAA environment and it will highlight problem areas if you enter something that would raise questions.

Highly recommended. AOPA's "Turbo Medical" lets you go through the application in the non-FAA environment and it will highlight problem areas if you enter something that would raise questions.

That! I didn't go look it up, but that's what I was referring to.

John

Probably half the pilots out there are on cholesterol and other meds.

As a money-saving idea, it might be a good idea to seek a medical certificate before starting training if there is a chance you won't get it. Otherwise, a small downside of applying early is that your ability to fly solo using that certificate will expire 24 months after it is issued.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back