• One color (4a)

• Original (4b)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Pay close note to the top of the rudder counterbalance. @Mtns2SkiesBetterHalf and I are having a disagreement. Bottom (4b) is factory original. Top (4a) is with the entire control surface one color. What say you?

N9037M Cessna 180H Midwest Aircraft Refinishing Version 4a JPEG.jpg
N9037M Cessna 180H Midwest Aircraft Refinishing Version 4b JPEG.jpg

Bottom, factory original, highlights the straight-tail look.
Top, with the whole rudder colored, gives more of a Mooney tail look. Which might be better or worse - you have to decide!
Agreed , personally I like the straight line look. You don't folks saying your paint job looks close to a Cesssooney...:rolleyes:

By Odin if that's the kind of issue that divides @Mtns2Skies and @Mtns2SkiesBetterHalf I don't give their relationship very good odds. The kind of stuff that caused divisions in the halls of the Steinhome concerned finances and their disposition. Our biggest argument remains the one concerning the knitting machine. Ask me some time over lots of ethanol, it is quite amusing, especially when I'm inebriated.

4A is an improvement over original.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Paint the counterbalance an accent color and make it a three color scheme...

4a - a perfect little dab of modern yet doesn't take anything away from the original look. If you don't like it vinyl wrap it white!

First off that’s not how the plane is going to look on the ramp. Gotta told your phone to see it as a tail dragger. I go with 4a. That whole control surface color look I think is sharp in a tail dragger.

I vote for all one color!
Me too. This:

upload_2021-12-10_16-8-31.jpeg

In our snowy country, a white airplane that goes down in the winter (or even summer at higher elevations) can be impossible to spot. ELTs often fail, and you want to be visible.

And you might want a dark color on the top of the cowl and boot cowl to reduce glare.

Those images need to be tilted, with the tail wheel on the ground. That way you can see what you like when YOU’RE looking at the plane, not when your wingman (or wingwoman) looks out their window at you. I had to tilt my phone; The contortions we go through for our POA friends.

4b is better. Obviously.

I expect 4b to be 3 to 5 knots faster than 4a, with lower fuel burn as well.

Leave the entire rudder white. The painted rudder looks weird against the vertical stab.

I like the looks of 4b but I'm wondering if it would look strange if the rudder is not centered. On the other hand, that wouldn't happen very often when people are looking at it.

Lol, 25 for one and 25 votes for the other. Hope you get more input.

4A just looks better to my eye, but I'm usually a fan of holding original for restorations. Dan's pic of the yellow one looks great too.

Back