Discovery Flight Log Book Entry

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by JM93, Dec 27, 2017.

1. JM93

JM93 Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    John M
    Hi All! I did a discovery flight back a few years ago and received the log book entry for it. Now for the question, I haven't flown since ($), however, I was given a discovery flight certificate as a gift to make sure it's something I want to pursue before putting actual money down for it, and to test out this different location. Can I log the 2nd Discovery flight in the book or how do I just not log anything?

Thank you for all of your help and answers!

2. eman1200

eman1200 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    'discovery flight' is just what people call it, it's not an official thing. u can def log the time for both.

3. Ryanb

Ryanb Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    Yes you can log it, you can log whatever you wish. Bring your logbook with you and have the CFI fill it out after the flight!

4. bluesideup

bluesideup Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    bluesideup
    Hi.
    If it was entered as Instruction received you / your Instructor can / should have logged it as such / dual given it would count. If it was not done as dual given / received it will not count. There are some outfits that use Commercial / Not CFIs to do that, not legal to log. Find out who did it and see if you can get it changed.
    That said if you are serious about getting your PP 1 hr is Not going to make a lot of difference, especially if it was long time ago.

5. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    There are some CFIs who hesitate logging discovery flights, at least not without presentation of proof of citizenship, due to the TSA rules.

6. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Damn you're right, didn't think of that. But isn't that only when they're applying for a student pilot certificate? Whereas a Discovery is basically a "sight seeing" flight most of the time.

7. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots/alien-flight-training-program/faq
    "Are introductory or "discovery" flights exempt from the requirements of the TSA rule?
    Yes. TSA has stated through correspondence with AOPA that introductory, discovery or demonstration flights are exempt from the requirements of the TSA rule. However, AOPA suggests that you not log the flight time in a logbook until the CFI can verify citizenship. "

God forbid that another Timothy McVeigh would get hold of an airplane.

James331 and mscard88 like this.
  8. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    You can log the flight

9. eman1200

eman1200 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    where's the "log all the things" pic? I know somebody's got it......

10. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Now offering reverse discounts.
  11. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    It's the "log flight time" issue in the AOPA article @Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe linked. Here's the analysis (I'm not saying I agree with it, just that this is what it the analysis is):

What requires TSA compliance is "flight training," defined as "instruction received from a flight school in an aircraft or aircraft simulator." There are exceptions including ones for recurrent training (and for aircraft marketing demo flights, but not Discovery Flights), but the definition of recurrent training says:

"Recurrent training means periodic training required under 14 CFR part 61, 121,125, 135, or Subpart K of part 91. Recurrent training does not include training that would enable a candidate who has a certificate or type rating for a particular aircraft to receive a certificate or type rating for another aircraft."​

Theoretically, any recurrent training can be used toward another certificate or type rating for another aircraft, even just the pure hours (think commercial multi with a private SEL). Analogizing that to Discovery Flights, even if TSA says it's OK, since the logged time could be used toward a private certificate, the concern is, it requires needs TSA compliance to be logged.

12. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    Yes. The most successful attack ever made by a general aviation aircraft. Ever. One fatality (not counting the pilot).

Not logging discovery flights keeps us safe.

mscard88 and Timbeck2 like this.
  13. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    It’s never crossed my mind to not sign a logbook at the end of a discovery flight. Are CFIs really this paranoid?

14. eman1200

eman1200 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    SO awesome how this thread morphed from a guy asking about his second discovery flight to terrorism.

TRocket and Timbeck2 like this.
  15. James331

James331 Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    If you can learn how to fly from a bunch of discovery fights enough to hijack a plane or whatever, you must be like a cross between James Bond and chuck yeager, and you also must have a TON of flight schools around you lol

So to the question, yes, log it, both of em

TRocket likes this.
  16. TRocket

TRocket Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Uncle Jesse
    Yes, you can log the time. In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. More than likely you will be well over the 40 hour minimum to get a PPL as most are. But to have the total hours in your book why not?

Exactly, this thing took a hard left turn real quick. Also, can someone please tell me what this has to do with Timothy McVeigh? Was he able to rent that truck and blow up a building im Oklahoma because a CFI allowed him to log a discovery flight in his logbook?

tspatrick and eman1200 like this.
  17. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    It has absafreeking nothing to do with terrorists like Timothy McVeigh, and having an entry in his log book would have made exactly 0 diference. Now, can you explain why the TSA has their panties in a wad when it comes to logging discovery flights? And, can you explain how proving where you were born will improve security in any way, shape, or form?

18. JM93

JM93 Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    John M
    First - Thank you for all of the responses, I appreciate them!
    Second - I love how this thread completely morphed into something different but it's a very interesting topic.

19. SkyHog

SkyHog Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Everything Offends Me
    Just make sure they get signed. My first two flights in my logbook are discovery flights without a CFI signature on em. I still count the time but I subtract the 1.4 or so from any official submission to the FAA or insurance just to be safe.

Kind of a PITA.

dmspilot likes this.
  20. AggieMike88

Display Name:

Display name:
    That is S.O.P. for this crowd....

We can start with something as innocent as "Do you like Sweet Potato Fries" and have it degenerate into an argument over which how a certain FAR applies to the flight that went for the burger that had sweet potato fries.

Sometimes it can become an argument on if the one eyed cat that hangs out in the hangar is going in or going out.

21. dmspilot

dmspilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dmspilot
    I have seen that but thankfully only rarely. If a CFI isn't going to sign it, then it shouldn't be logged in the first place. Logging it without signing it is like getting a teenager a picture of a car for their 16th birthday.

22. AggieMike88

Display Name:

Display name:
    I have a signed logbook entry for some time in a B787 sim...

Shame I can't count that toward anything....