Discouraged last lesson

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
I am editing out all the posts here. Some folks are still offering advice and perhaps snark despite the rating having been obtained. I guess they did not read that part.

Thanks for those of you that tried to help.

Last edited:
Are these issues coming up when you’re out shooting approaches only, or also when you’re on a cross country? What I’m getting at is constantly losing and reloading approaches, vectoring, reloading and shooting approaches, etc, without time to prepare can be very saturating, and is kind of the point in training, but is not how most flights actually go. You might find that you don’t make as many mistakes if you’re flying a planned-in-advance cross country, where you know the route, can prep the approaches, have ample time to get oriented and load things up, etc.

You’ll want to eventually be so fluent in everything that you can handle the approaches, going missed, vectoring, reloading a new approach, shooting, going missed stuff, and on and on, because any IFR flight has the possibility of going bad in those ways, but you might regain some confidence by flying a few cross countries where the pace is a little realistic.

Edit

Last edited:
How far are you along?? When started I was terrible. Then got better. Then got terrible again. It will start to click. buttonology is a practiced skill. Your just getting behind the airplane. It will Get better.
next statement is PoA controversial
If you have available to you a competent safety pilot closer to you consider starting to go up with one and just practice till it gets boring. They are not there to teach you or a sub for a CFII but a good safety pilot familiar with your avionics can make a big difference in bridging the lessons with the approaches.
Approach time there is a lot going on. Easy to get task saturated quickly until you learn how to anticipate and get ahead of the airplane.
Keep at it.

Age isn't usually an issue.
Getting thru the IFR lessons is the most unfun, miserable part of flying. Nothing else you can do about it but stick it out.
I'd move the airplane closer and find a new CFII - that 3 hour commute is not helping your mental health and probably contributing to your stress.
Your current CFII leaving and wanting to finish you up, is also contributing to the strees.
Do not let his wishes drive your decisions.

I am a 130-140 hour pilot, and have met all the minimum required times to take my practical as of my last lesson.
I did mine around 250 hours and had flown well beyond what the minimum time required to take the test and then some.
A lot of ppl here will brag that they had their IFR before their PPl but my experience is it takes longer till you really “know” it.

I find pushing to meet a deadline when the performance isn’t there rarely works.

What I read in your story is you are sometimes behind the airplane, your SA is not good, your chart briefing needs work, and you are not comfortable with the nuances of the procedures yet.

I suggest you take a break, get the farm work done, go to a location with an experienced CFI-I and a simulator first to work in some issues, then back to the plane with a new CFI.

Get a new CFII and express same concerns to him/her that you’ve stated here…. A good instructor will be able to address the stressful concerns and put a good plan in place to maximize your lessons and tackle those issues. As others have said… everyone has been in this same exact spot. It’s not fun, but once it’s over, your piloting skill set will be 1000x better, and very noticeable.

Bring your plane home. Fly for fun for another hundred hours and then attack IR with a new instructor. Unless you're trying to start a new career, there's no point in making yourself miserable just to get through it. That's my advice and it's worth every penny.

Agree with above.

Plane closer to home makes it easier.

Take a break. New instructor by default.

Minimum hours doesn’t matter. It takes what it takes. I got mine last year, at 53.

Chin up. It gets better. It’s worth it. Even if you don’t use it. I got it not for flying to minimums, but for flying on days when a thin overcast or broken layers kept me grounded.

I agree with Lindberg. If it ain't fun, it ain't worth it!

Driving as far as you are, then trying to fly IFR, along with the stress during harvest, I would say if you ran the IMSAFE checklist, you would likely fail a couple of the items. If you want in the future, you could get with PIC or somebody similar to come to your airport and knock out the rating in 10 days. Intense focus for 10 days, then you are done.

... go to a location with an experienced CFI-I and a simulator first to work in some issues, then back to the plane with a new CFI.
This right here. I know there's no substitute for the real airplane, but it sounds like a lot of your problems stem from button-ology and task management. A sim could definitely help in this area. Once you get the basics down and comfortable in the sim, then the airplane stuff will flow a lot better.

The relatively small errors are common right up until you're ready for the checkride. You know what you're doing wrong, and how to do it right, but it doesn't all quite come together all at once. You need a little more practice and a lot less (self-induced) pressure. It won't take too many more repetitions for it to all come together.

Remember what pattern work was like just before you soloed? You could do each pattern task correctly at times, but never got everything to work right at the same time. Just before you soled, it all started working.

You can work on this on your own by chair flying the approaches, particular the preparation for the approaches. If you have a simulator for your GPS that will help. Practice briefing the approach, setting up the approach, then "flying" the approach. Start slow and methodical and increase the pace as you get better at it. Be very systematic about how you go through the brief and setup for each approach. Use the same steps each time, just like you use the same steps each time around the pattern.

Background: 53 yo male, own my own plane. I had 3-5 instructors for PPL. So far, just one for instrument, a young buck. I started lessons months ago, flying 3 days a week as able. Farm business interests get in gear in November. Last lesson I met the hour requirements to test. 97 written.

My performance is not good. Just over a week ago doing a failed WaaS RNAV approach I lost SA and went to MDA before the FAF, took foggles off and was LOST. Not how I want to fly IFR, especially with my wife.

Lesson two days ago was crappy. I was late loading an approach into the GPS though I was being vectored. Going out for my first approach I noticed I was low a couple times, thought it was early, was told I busted altitude at two different fixes. On radios I twice announced wrong runway numbers. “ILS got slow”. I loaded a wrong approach into foreflight. I’ve had issues looking back and forth from GPS to my G5s, causing me to turn so I’ve done better just keeping my eyes straight ahead at the G5s. At end of lesson I was told to look at GPS more so that I can better judge intercept. So, lots of things I am doing wrong.

So I came home last lesson quite discouraged, at times wondering if I am too old or incompetent. I considered quitting or taking time off. I’ve had little pleasure in the airplane in months, no $100 hamburger runs, no new airports that I’ve seen, no walks on the beach with my girl. Quitting is really not an option but I am really not sure how to take control of this and do better.

My instructor has already changed airports ½ time and is likely starting a new job in November, says he has to get me finished up this month. Due to his travel, his location availability, and a medical appointment we really only have 4 lessons possible the rest of the month.

In order to facilitate lessons my plane is already 1.5 hours away. So three days a week I drive three hours a day for lessons that at most are two hours.

I’ve thought of doing the following:

1. Press on as things are, buckle down further, learn from mistakes, embrace them. Address CFII availability later.

2. Take some time off, bring plane home. My local airport is 10 minutes from home. Try to find a safety pilot for at least weekly foggle time.

3. Find another CFII. A closer airport (one hour) has $100 an hour CFII that others say they really respect. He runs the airport, not sure of schedule. We flew two hours together.

4. Try to find a finish up school or hire in someone to come stay local and fly maybe twice a day. I am not sure I can push this through on my time schedule but early November could be manageable with regards to my business interests.

5. While it has not been misery training, I really wonder if some flying for enjoyment would really be the best therapy.

Any advice? What would you do?
Thank you.
Where are you? Maybe someone here knows of and can recommend a CFII for you?

Would it be possible to bring your airplane home and fly back and forth for the lessons instead of driving? Just a thought.

IFR is more of an organizational head game, than flying the airplane, the airplane only follows/reveals the organization of your head. The thinking side has to be taught, not sure you have the best selection for teaching that.

Not IR here.

However, that's just too much time spent driving to fly an hour or so. Starts adding more pressure. Bring bird back home.

Sounds like a few fun VFR flights wouldn't hurt either.

I am a 130-140 hour pilot, and have met all the minimum required times to take my practical as of my last lesson.

Stop.

Are you proficient to ACS standards for the the IRA oral and practical? If the answer is no, focus on meeting those standards and quit notching the fence post.

An instrument rating is just about the best way to kill yourself.

So, I'm not going to rehash the things listed above. There's enough general consensus on those points to be well worth your consideration. Just a couple of thoughts from a fellow IRA pilot nearing completion.

First, I go to great (some might call them ridiculous) lengths in preflight preparation. It means that I'm FAR less likely to be caught off guard by something or have something surprise me. Not that it never happens, just less likely. If you KNOW you are going to shoot an ILS, many airports only have one runway for the ILS and the other runways are RNAV or other types of approach. (Obviously that's a broad brush statement) Look at the IAF for your sector, or the entrance to that IAF and prepare for that before you take off. If you are shooting an RNAV, get destination winds before takeoff so you can plan which runway is likely to be in use, and brief that approach plate before takeoff. Yes, winds can change and you might have to alter that in the air, but the more you can know before you leave, the less stressed out you'll be up there. Sometimes, I go so far as to file my flight plan with the IAF that I anticipate using and then if they want to give me vectors, that's fine, but I've set myself up for success.

Second, as far as readbacks, you may benefit from writing down on a scratch pad just to "trick" your brain into saying the right info. If you have "RWY 34" written on your scratchpad, you'll be less likely to say "Cleared for the ILS runway 32." (or whatever the issue was) Our brains are good at regurgitating information, but even moreso if we reinforce that information auditorily, visually, and kinesthetically (the actual act of writing it down).

Third, and this goes back to your preflight planning. Spend the extra $100 on the next level of foreflight so you can overlay your approach plates on the map. Then you can see your progress on the plate as your make the approach and it gives you more points of reference so you don't mess it up. Then, early in your flight, during cruise, when you know you probably won't hear from ATC for a few minutes, go ahead and load the anticipated approach into your GPS. Yes, they could change it, but if you did all that preflight, you'll have a pretty good chance that they won't.

IFR training is all about being ahead of the airplane. Things in the airplane CAN happen very fast, especially in higher density airspace. CHEAT! Get a head start on the airplane, and it will have a harder time catching up with you, much less getting ahead of you.

So I'll give you an example. Tomorrow, I'm flying KIPT-KBGM-KAVP-KELM-KIPT. Should build about 3-3.5 hrs of IFR XC time and shoot approaches at 4 airports. At work tonight, I will print off the 4 approaches I have requested and highlight them and brief them to myself. I will overlay the plate for Binghamton before takeoff and brief it before we leave. (Also brief ODP etc). I know my IAFs for each approach I plan to use (2 ILS and 2 RNAV). I may even load the anticipated approach in the 430 before takeoff. En route, during that ATC quiet time, I will brief my passenger (in this case, my instructor) on DA/MDA, Stepdowns, glideslope intercept points, missed procedures, etc. Finally, if something DOES change, ATC assigns you a different approach runway or something like that, get on the heading, and then get everything changed over as soon as possible. That keeps you from getting lost in the weeds.

Like @Mxfarm said, IFR is much more about your task organization than about the actual flying, but the flying will suffer if you don't handle the tasks appropriately. Best of luck to you and feel free to reach out via PM if you need specific advice. I'm not the guru, or anything like that, but I'm going through it too.

I don't know how you have been trained, but if you are not "flying by the numbers" you will get overloaded quickly. Have you and your instructor established pitch/power combos for various flight regimes? If you can fly "numbers" it leaves bandwidth for radio configuration and plate briefing. A fresh CFII is an option to get different perspectives. If your instructor is good and methodical, you should be getting bored by 40 hours.

Again, where are you?

There are decent instructors out there. You just need a matchup.

Eastern NC.

You're at the age I took my instrument lessons. I can hear myself saying exactly what you are saying now. Drinking from the fire hose is difficult but it will slow down. As others have mentioned, flying the numbers is important, it helps free up some radio time and approach briefing. Don't get discouraged, it will all slow down and the process will flow once again like a typical burger flight. Getting the plane closer to home also is a big plus. I know after a few of my IFR lessons I was wiped out, then again flying through the summer in high humidity and temps will do that to you. Take some fun flights in between lessons to keep it fun. Good luck finishing up.

Hmmm...

1. You’re NOT incompetent.

2. I REALLY like Mr Butlers take.

3. Basic scan pattern discipline. In the Navy we learned BI, basic instrument, and then RI, radio instrument. If BI isn’t COMPLETELY second nature, RI is VERY hard. More so these days. Those days was situating a approach plate on a knee board... no menus to navigate.

Decent chance I’ll be around all November. Give me a shout.

Ah, this again.

So, a local CFII, who would not train me, said this is the first part of IFR lessons. A 2000 hr pilot told me the same.
My CFII did not know what I was talking about and there has been little discussion about it, certainly no instructing on it.
I've tried to do figure this out some on my own with the CFII in the plane, but I get interrupted with either things I am missing or things the CFII wants me to pay attention to.

Go to PilotWorkshops.com and purchase the "IFR Missing Lessons" program (I think it is about $80). The first part talks about "the numbers." You could fill out the worksheet by going to your lesson an hour or so early and going up by yourself. Basically, you are figuring out the throttle setting (rpm for fixed pitch) and attitude (nose above or below the horizon via the AI) for various phases of flight. My CFII didn't concentrate on "the numbers" either, but instead would say something like "reducing the rpm about xxx rpm will get you about 500 fpm descent." That is about the same as "the numbers" and basically gives you a feel for where things need to be to keep you from having to chase the needles. That way, you have more time to do other stuff like watch your altitude and keep the needles centered.

So, I've already posted my smart ass, although very important message above.

I was a couple years older than you when I did my instrument rating. I went through the same range of emotions, it took me longer than average to get my rating. It's a lot to go through, but when you finally get it, you are ready for the checkride, it feels like it happens that quickly. I actually think it's better to have some adversity in training, you'll be a better instrument pilot for it, I feel I am.

A couple things: you need to persevere. It's very important while you are flying. You can't dwell on things. If you screw up, get it fixed, then shake it off, move forward. If things are happening too fast, which can be a problem, slow it down. This can mean doing things like physically slowing the airplane down, or asking for delay vectors. If you have a question, or need something from a controller, speak up. Something you need could be a lower altitude, ask for it. Another thing that used to drive me nuts is whether I will get vectors to final, so I would ask.

Back to back approaches, most controllers have no idea what it takes to reconfigure for a different approach. When you finish one, tell the controller you need delay vectors for about 5 minutes, or however long it takes to reconfigure and re brief. Don't skip those steps, take your time, don't let the controller, or your instructor, or anything else to pressure you into doing an approach before you are ready.

Three hours total driving for a lesson is quite a bit. If there is a closer airport, I would ask the instructor to fly the airplane to me for the lesson.

My final words to you, persevere and shake it off. My instructor took excellent notes during a flight, we would do a debrief on the ground after the flight, not during. It was much easier to retain stuff and learn how to prevent whatever problem I had.

Stick with it.

Have you gone out and flown these without a hood, but still setting up all the radios? I think that and really learning your plane’s power and pitch settings may help. You are still pretty low time. It might be best to fly some more before tackling the IR.

Ah, this again.

So, a local CFII, who would not train me, said this is the first part of IFR lessons. A 2000 hr pilot told me the same.
My CFII did not know what I was talking about and there has been little discussion about it, certainly no instructing on it.
I've tried to do figure this out some on my own with the CFII in the plane, but I get interrupted with either things I am missing or things the CFII wants me to pay attention to.
A week or two ago I was getting some stuff done with the plane well trimmed, light or no control pressures, and real near 478 ft/min.
When I started with my CFII he had only had one student go to a checkride, more have gone by now.
I want to own my issues and avoid blame, but I wonder if someone with some grey hair and perspective would help more.

If your current CFII doesn't know anything about flying by the "numbers" then I'd be looking for someone else. You can establish your aircraft numbers yourself on a nice VFR day. Decide on a typical approach speed (for me, it's 90 kt, which is pretty typical for most light singles) and go out and determine the pitch and power settings required to fly various flight regimes:
  1. Level flight at your approach speed (you will use this for holds, level phases of approaches)
  2. 500 fpm descent at your approach speed (this will be your first cut at and ILS or LPV glideslope)
  3. Climb at Vy (usually full power at some known pitch angle)
  4. Level flight at typical cruise rpm setting
  5. Cruise descent at 500 fpm (at your typical cruise rpm setting)
Once you know these numbers, you can quickly and reliably put an aircraft into the desired flight regime and speed. Just set the rpm and pitch attitude desired, trim out control pressure, and Bob's your uncle. For example in my plane, I know 2200 rpm and 2 degrees nose up (4 degrees with forward-most CG) will give me level flight at 90 kt. 2000 rpm and 1 degree nose down will give me a 500 fpm descent at 90 kt, etc. Commit your plane's "numbers" to memory and you eliminate one source of fighting your aircraft to do what you want.

Learning these numbers was the first lesson with my CFII in my airplane during IFR training. Neither one of us knew the numbers for an AA-5 but at the end of our flight we did, and I wrote them down. I still have the cheat sheet, but now the numbers are burned into my memory after flying my plane many years. First thing I do before flying a new plane is figure out the proper numbers. I did a BFR/IPC in a C172 when my plane was out of annual, and after getting the numbers, it was easy to configure the plane for climb, cruise, and various stages of approaches.

Background: 53 yo male, own my own plane. I had 3-5 instructors for PPL. So far, just one for instrument, a young buck. I started lessons months ago, flying 3 days a week as able. Farm business interests get in gear in November. Last lesson I met the hour requirements to test. 97 written.

My performance is not good. Just over a week ago doing a failed WaaS RNAV approach I lost SA and went to MDA before the FAF, took foggles off and was LOST. Not how I want to fly IFR, especially with my wife.

Lesson two days ago was crappy. I was late loading an approach into the GPS though I was being vectored. Going out for my first approach I noticed I was low a couple times, thought it was early, was told I busted altitude at two different fixes. On radios I twice announced wrong runway numbers. “ILS got slow”. I loaded a wrong approach into foreflight. I’ve had issues looking back and forth from GPS to my G5s, causing me to turn so I’ve done better just keeping my eyes straight ahead at the G5s. At end of lesson I was told to look at GPS more so that I can better judge intercept. So, lots of things I am doing wrong.

So I came home last lesson quite discouraged, at times wondering if I am too old or incompetent. I considered quitting or taking time off. I’ve had little pleasure in the airplane in months, no $100 hamburger runs, no new airports that I’ve seen, no walks on the beach with my girl. Quitting is really not an option but I am really not sure how to take control of this and do better.

My instructor has already changed airports ½ time and is likely starting a new job in November, says he has to get me finished up this month. Due to his travel, his location availability, and a medical appointment we really only have 4 lessons possible the rest of the month.

In order to facilitate lessons my plane is already 1.5 hours away. So three days a week I drive three hours a day for lessons that at most are two hours.

I’ve thought of doing the following:

1. Press on as things are, buckle down further, learn from mistakes, embrace them. Address CFII availability later.

2. Take some time off, bring plane home. My local airport is 10 minutes from home. Try to find a safety pilot for at least weekly foggle time.

3. Find another CFII. A closer airport (one hour) has $100 an hour CFII that others say they really respect. He runs the airport, not sure of schedule. We flew two hours together.

4. Try to find a finish up school or hire in someone to come stay local and fly maybe twice a day. I am not sure I can push this through on my time schedule but early November could be manageable with regards to my business interests.

5. While it has not been misery training, I really wonder if some flying for enjoyment would really be the best therapy.

Any advice? What would you do?
Thank you.

You have a high written score, which demonstrates committment and knowledge. 53 is not old for this. Besides, age really has nothing to do with this. If you are putting in the effort but not seeing the results, you have to start asking why. There is always some reason. Your description makes it sound like you were significantly behind the airplane. If you are coming home after a flight thinking about quitting, your current proficiency level and your training scenario are severely mismatched. After each flight you need to feel some sense of accomplishment. The CFI's job is to keep upping the challenge, so you don't feel bored and unchallenged, but also not let you fall too far behind that makes you feel discouraged. Have you expressed this concern to your instructor, and what does he have to say?

If I were you, I would take a break. The three hour drive is crazy. There is no reason for you go to that extreme to hurry up and finish. Instrument rating is not hard. Anyone with committment can do it. But it does take time to digest everything. I also don't believe in "crash" courses. What you learn fast will be lost fast. Take it slow. Have fun. Flying three times a week is great, but if you are a busy professional that might be too much. Do you have time to review between your flights? For each hour of flying you should be able to spend at least that much thinking and reviewing.

Last edited:
Have you gone out and flown these without a hood, but still setting up all the radios? I think that and really learning your plane’s power and pitch settings may help. You are still pretty low time. It might be best to fly some more before tackling the IR.
nomad hit this on the head. setting up the radios, gps, ect need to be second nature. you really need to know the buttonology of the GPS cold. go out without the instructor and fly they approaches in vfr without a hood, making sure you get the set up right. by getting that out of the "thinking" loop gives you more time to fly the plane when under the hood. its all about load management.

If your current CFII doesn't know anything about flying by the "numbers" then I'd be looking for someone else. You can establish your aircraft numbers yourself on a nice VFR day. Decide on a typical approach speed (for me, it's 90 kt, which is pretty typical for most light singles) and go out and determine the pitch and power settings required to fly various flight regimes:
  1. Level flight at your approach speed (you will use this for holds, level phases of approaches)
  2. 500 fpm descent at your approach speed (this will be your first cut at and ILS or LPV glideslope)
  3. Climb at Vy (usually full power at some known pitch angle)
  4. Level flight at typical cruise rpm setting
  5. Cruise descent at 500 fpm (at your typical cruise rpm setting)
Once you know these numbers, you can quickly and reliably put an aircraft into the desired flight regime and speed. Just set the rpm and pitch attitude desired, trim out control pressure, and Bob's your uncle. For example in my plane, I know 2200 rpm and 2 degrees nose up (4 degrees with forward-most CG) will give me level flight at 90 kt. 2000 rpm and 1 degree nose down will give me a 500 fpm descent at 90 kt, etc. Commit your plane's "numbers" to memory and you eliminate one source of fighting your aircraft to do what you want.

Learning these numbers was the first lesson with my CFII in my airplane during IFR training. Neither one of us knew the numbers for an AA-5 but at the end of our flight we did, and I wrote them down. I still have the cheat sheet, but now the numbers are burned into my memory after flying my plane many years. First thing I do before flying a new plane is figure out the proper numbers. I did a BFR/IPC in a C172 when my plane was out of annual, and after getting the numbers, it was easy to configure the plane for climb, cruise, and various stages of approaches.

My CFII likely knows flying by the numbers but it has only been a vague kind of thing with RPM comments, no comments about pitch.

I expected this would be my first lessons in the plane also based upon 2000 hr IR pilot comments and 30K hr pilot with all the fancy initials.

Not sure what else to do to get a "good" instructor.

You hire someone who meets the criteria you set. If you don’t want a youngun who has other life aspirations beyond instructing teaching you, then don’t settle for that. Good instructors are out there. You have to put a little effort into finding the right one and you will absolutely get what you pay for (ie if you want someone legitimate, it won’t be the most affordable option, but will probably save you in the long run). As for ways that I’ve found excellent CFI options…. Local Facebook groups, this PoA forum, asking around the airport, Cirrus website (even if you don’t fly a Cirrus, they have some damn good instructors!).

:) I think you're being too hard on yourself. It's ok for this to take a while, and the fact that you're aware of the mistakes means you'll sort it out. I think part of it is what someone above posted, that you're really learning about 3-4 things at once, so it's natural that you're really only going to get better at one at a time, and even that progress is going to be up and down. All of this is far better than someone that rote memorizes all of the procedures and flying, and when they get behind in real life they freeze up and don't know what to do. The longer road may be a PITA, but better in the long run in my view.

Re instructors, there are good both young and old. If you go in telling them that your goal is to get it right, not to get it in any particular amount of time, it might help them understand your perspective. I had younger instructors, too, and I just explained my goal was to learn how to fly, not get the certificate. Trying to rush it makes it less productive, and slower, anyway, again in my experience.

Ah, this again.

A week or two ago I was getting some stuff done with the plane well trimmed, light or no control pressures, and real near 478 ft/min.
When I started with my CFII he had only had one student go to a checkride, more have gone by now.
I want to own my issues and avoid blame, but I wonder if someone with some grey hair and perspective would help more.

I apologize for jumping into this conversation so late. I am a CFII (with grey hair!). I teach the 'by the numbers' technique which I highly recommend. Your instructor does not and that's unfortunate. It sounds as if jumping to another instructor is problematic in your immediate area. Chemgeek had great advice which is to learn the numbers on your own.

So, let me help turn his advice into a workable Plan of Action. Think of it as a lesson plan without an instructor.

I suggest you go up with a pilot buddy and work out for yourself the numbers for your plane. Do NOT do this under the hood; stay visual while gathering data! Together, the two of you can 'discover' the power-pitch-configuration combinations to get the plane to perform the way you (and ATC) needs.

Start with "Cruise Flight" at your typical cruise altitudes; it's the easiest. At cruise straight-and-level the attitude indicator should be adjusted to show level flight (0º pitch). Then, do a Cruise Descent. Find the pitch attitude and power setting for leaving cruise altitude at the speed and descent rate you want. In my Cherokees it is 2400 RPM and -2º pitch. Whatever yours is, have your buddy write this down. That's what he's there for besides helping you look for traffic.

Now work out "Approach Descent". Slow to flap speed, put in one notch and find the power and pitch attitude for approximately 500' per minute descent and ninety knots TAS ( If you're operating at or near sea level then just go with indicated airspeed. I fly at some higher altitudes so my indicated will be a bit less than 90 kts.) Why 90 kts? To make it easier to time some of the non-precision approaches. If you're flying in your shiny new TBM 900 then use 120 kts!

Anyway, now change to "Approach Level" flight. No change in configuration, but with a notch of flaps in for the approach you are going to need a lot of power to hold your altitude and continue to fly at 90 kts. I find about 2400 RPM gets it done but yours might be different. By the way, you will note a slightly different pitch attitude than "Cruise Flight". Again write all this down.

Do the same thing for constant speed (Vy) climbs. Almost all climbs in a trainer are going to be with the flaps retracted, but not always. Note the pitch angle for a climb with that approach flap setting. In my plane, a Vy climb is a pitch of about +7º at full throttle.

As Chemgeek said, commit these numbers to memory. Use them every time you fly, even when on a VFR hamburger run. Your instructor will probably not know why things are going better, but you will. You will have freed up your mental bandwidth to do other things.

Maybe later, you might teach this to your instructor. It would make his life easier too.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

I'm already driving far enough just to get lessons in my plane. Not sure what else to do to get a "good" instructor. The business structure is the business structure. Fairly green younguns absent much life or flying perspective teaching me, and they all are trying to move up the food chain with interests that parallel but don't fully intersect mine.

True about a lot of instructors, sure, but plenty of us that are green and still willing to make adjustments to our teaching style as required to better match with the learning style of the student. An instructor having a little gray on the head doesn't mean anything, my beard is almost solid gray and I've got less than 100 hours dual give :lol: :frown2: Every 30k hour pilot was once in both of ours shoes, and any instructor worth anything will take zero offense at your wanting to work with another instructor if there is a mismatch between you.

Suck it up buttercup. It's not an easy rating.

Hahaha, I like this comment. I have never struggled with ratings or academic type stuff, but the IR was a legitimate challenge. So yeah, suck it up, but also know you’re not the first to find it tough.

IMHO - I'm finding the IFR to harder than the PPL. Given the abundance of T Storms and rainy / bad weather, it's been a long slog this year.

Instructors - some are good, some are bad, some are drama kings/queens who forget they are taking money and you are the customer. Some are good pilots and nice people who haven't a clue about teaching / communication style. For them, engaging with a student is no different than pushing buttons, quoting FAR/AIMs, etc. Technically correct - and woefully inadequate for teaching.

I recently went up with a safety pilot for some practice. Despite our preflight briefing, he started acting like a CFII, making radio calls, changing the GTN, etc. He asked a question to the effect of "why did you do it like that"? My terse response "because that's how I do it". It wasn't breaking a rule, it was just not optimal per his opinion.

The more I experience different CFI and CFII's, the more I'm convinced that there are great pilots who should not teach.

I created the attached performance table for my Aircraft when I did my IFR training and still use it today in all aspects of flying it. It’s only specific to my aircraft but it’s use for me is knowing exactly what my aircraft will do under specific settings so I can set it and move on to setting up for everything else, quick and efficient. I feel it’s extremely helpful in time management. Spend some time learning exactly what your aircraft will do under specific power and pitch settings and use that knowledge in a table like this to help organize the process.

Attachments

• 3AF3D726-3A1E-44E0-8CEF-A059017FE053.jpeg
    3AF3D726-3A1E-44E0-8CEF-A059017FE053.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 32
Back