Did you come from an aviation family or are you a 1st generation pilot/enthusiast?

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
I read the article on Van's perspective on the future of general aviation and they say that a person who is born into an aviation family is more likely to be involved in aviation or become a pilot than a person who is a 1st generation pilot or aviation enthusiast.

I'm just curious on if you come from an aviation family who are pilots or have some involvement in aviation, or if you are the only pilot/aviation enthusiast in your family?

For 1st generation pilots, did you encounter obstacles or road blocks to becoming a pilot? Were your parents opposed to you learning to fly for various reasons?

Re: Did you come from an aviation family or are you a 1st generation pilot/enthusiast

First generation, but my dad was in the Air Force so I grew up around planes.

Jim

Re: Did you come from an aviation family or are you a 1st generation pilot/enthusiast

1st generation here. The only other member of my family that flies is my Cousins son. Also makes him a cousin but he is younger. I have a son and a step son that have expressed an interest in flying but that's about it so far.

3rd generation. My dad sold his plane and got out of flying when I was young. I got my PPL as soon as I had a job that paid enough.

Last edited:

First (and last) generation.

Grew up in a AF town with lots of neat planes to watch, took up flying as a mid-life crisis, could afford it because I'm child-free.

Last edited:

1st generation. My parents had no say as I was already on my own and making my own money when I started lessons.

I grew up under the landing pattern for KPIT RW 28R, and could name all of the major jet liners on sight, and could diagram and explain basic turbojet theory by 5th grade.

1st generation. Married into it. Well dated a pilot and realized that I couldn't just be a passenger. :) My parents didn't have much say except for a quip here and there of "Wish you'd spend your money in other places then THAT" They aren't interested in going for flights because for them airplane/tin cans are just to get from Point A to Point B. Looking back I always loved the flying part of the traveling - went overseas alot as a kid and so going to England, Ireland or Germany...wasn't exciting the getting there was the "fun" part for me.

Kind of first generation.. My grandfather (who raised me) was into R/C and warbirds, so he planted the seed.

Second generation. My father got his pilot's license on the GI bill after WWII, but when he got a family it got too expensive so he quit flying and went back to farming. I don't remember him flying as a child, but he was nuts about airplanes and we would go to airshows all the time. When I got old enough to learn to fly he was very supportive. I paid for most of my lessons myself, but if I came up short he was always there to help me out.

3rd generation I'd say. My grandfather built airplanes. My father was working as a test pilot. So yes it did affect me when I was child

First gen from immediate family, but a great uncle handed me the controls of a 206 on floats when I was 4.

My Dad was first gen, I'm Second, my kids are third.

I am a first generation pilot in my family. The toughest obstacle I faced was not being able to ask questions or talk to family members about aviation. The only resources I had was my cfi and the internet/books. My parents supported my expensive hobby and now they to benefit as well. (Short flights to FSU football games)

Last edited:

My dad got his PPL one year before I did. Does that make me 1st or 2nd generation?

Growing up, dad and I both would gawk at planes as they flew over. That's the closest to 'involvement in aviation' that either of us had until we got our respective PPLs.

As a counter-point to the idea that children with parents involved in aviation are more likely to be involved themselves: A friend's dad is a 767 pilot, and none of his three kids are interested in aviation (at least not to the point of obtaining their PPL). I interviewed a kid today whose dad is an airline captain and he said he has never had any interest in getting his PPL. :dunno:

Dad flew gliders until my older brother was born. He also worked for Grumman for decades and was from that generation where I'd guess all boys played with model airplanes.

Dated a girl in college whose father had owned a plane. She exploited her feminine wiles to get me hooked. So I guess I'm a 1.1st gen. I'll always be grateful to her for that.

I'm a second generation, but dad didn't fly for 20 years till I started flying.

I'm just curious on if you come from an aviation family who are pilots or have some involvement in aviation, or if you are the only pilot/aviation enthusiast in your family?

For 1st generation pilots, did you encounter obstacles or road blocks to becoming a pilot? Were your parents opposed to you learning to fly for various reasons?

First generation. A friend of my father took me flying when I was 12. HOOKED.

I was 28 when I had the time/finances to start my flying lessons. Being 28, my parents didn't have any say in the matter. But they didn't oppose it anyway.

It wasn't until after my mom passed away I found the pictures of her getting a ride in a Piper Cub back in the 1950's.

Flying is in the family

1st gen. My parents didn't like the idea and tried to convince me it wasn't worth it. They also tried the tactic of telling me it was just a fleeting obsession that I'd be over soon so I shouldn't put time and money into it. Ultimately they caved after a year of convincing and even paid for some of my training. A big obstacle I face with them is that they know nothing about GA and get nervous about everything I say... at one point my mom wouldn't let me do "steep turns" or "stalls" because they sounded scary to her.
However, my dad was the one who got me interested in flying by taking me to an airshow and buying me flight sim 99. He had no intention of it getting this bad.

First generation. I was 25 years old and lived 600 miles from my parents. They never expressed any opposition, and were very supportive as time went on. Helped me buy my first airplane. My grandfather interfered in my father's life in very negative ways and my father was determined to not do that to his kids.

First generation here.

Closest I have to any family in aviation is an uncle that does A&P stuff, but I don't really know him all that well.

absolutely 1st gen. not even sure if I went to an airshow as a kid. but I'm a big boy now so the rents have no say. I know before I started lessons I very briefly mentioned it to my mom that I was thinking about it.....she sighed and said "ugh, please don't tell me". so I didn't say a word to them until after I solo'd. they are pretty excited about it now. can't wait to take them on our first flight.

None of my past or present relatives are pilots although my dad was interested in airplanes. I don't remember any opposition from my relatives, only curiosity. I think I'm still a curiosity, though. :dunno:

1st generation here as well

1st generation.

1st - Not a hint of aviation interest in the family tree but for some reason I caught the bug very early but had to settle for models and RC planes. It wasn't until later in life that I had the means to realize the dream.

First generation. As a matter of fact, I have become the official "fear of flying" exorcist in my family, though GA is a bit misunderstood still.
"Don't be afraid to fly on the airlines. Call your uncle Keith. Shucks, he's actually learning to fly those things."

First generation, but had older brothers who loved airplanes. Neither of them ever pursued their license, but have wished they had. I have passed along my love of flight to my son, teaching him to fly the summer after he graduated from high school. He doesn't have the passion for it I do, but enjoys it when there's nothing else he'd rather be doing!

The son of a cousin just got his license, so now there are three in the extended family.

My grandfather flew bombers in WWII but he died while I was still young and don't know a whole bunch about what he did....he worked with the SR-71 Blackbird too but I don't know exactly how he was involved.

Second generation pilot, plus my grandfather worked for Martin during WWII. My dad stopped flying before I was born but heard plenty about airplanes from my dad and grandfather growing up.

Dad has no interest in flying again, although we've flown together a few times and he's enjoyed it.

Dad flew 747s for a living, but discouraged my brothers and I from going into aviation. He passed away several years ago... wish I could take him flying today.

Grandpa has a license, but gave up flying before my mom was born; great uncle was air-traffic controller who had Bonanza I rode in a few times. I hope to restart the tradition.

My pops was a CAP cadet and used to be a gas monkey and scavenge rides. Then he joined the air force. He never could afford to get his license, but when I expressed interest in flying he hopped all over it and has payed for almost all of my flying with little nervousness from mom. Im very fortunate.

1st generation.

Grew up near Homestead AFB watching F4's turn fuel into noise and got fixated.

1st generation. I built a very large number of model airplanes as a kid. My dad got some "stick" time in an R4D during WWII (he was a pharmacists mate and they were deadheading up the California central valley - the pilot found out that this was the first time dad had been in a plane, so he was invited up to the cockpit. They gave him the controls and had a wonderful evening's entertainment as he struggled to maintain straight and level on a calm night :D ) and my uncle (mom's brother-in-law) was a co-pilot on B-17s out of England near the end of the war. But aviation family? Nope. Sure glad I learned to fly.

I grew up with it. My father graduated from the Air Force Academy in 1959, flew F100s, then was a Pan Am pilot. He used to take me along on trips now and then, so I grew up flying and traveling. He didn't get into GA until he retired, but now he flies a Seawind. I started flying lessons in high school, but didn't finish for another twenty years. My brother was also a pilot in the Air Force, he flew those gigantic cargo planes.

Second-generation

Most of the old home movies my parents took of me as a kid, was my sitting in my father's lap “flying” the airplane.

My mother hated flying, so I got to sit front seat at a very early age.

I could read an aeronautical chart before I was 10 years old

There was never a question that I was going to be a private pilot.

I have 3 brothers though and none of them ever had an interest in flying

Back