Did Ohio outlaw victor airways?

That is what I said, maybe not in that much detail. But I pointed it out.

Tim

From that page (with my emphasis):

Center Surface Boundaries

The provided Air Traffic Control Center (ARTCC) ground level boundary data was created to support FAA's En Route Automation Modernization (ERAM) system. It is made available every 28 Days solely to aid non-FAA Flight Plan system developers and submitters to match the correct ARTCC with off airport points of departure/arrival such as during medivac flights or seaplane flights, when the point of departure/arrival is close to the defined low level ARTCC boundary published on FAA charts. Ground level controlling ARTCC boundaries may not match low level ARTCC boundaries published on FAA charts.
This ground level ARTCC boundary data should not be used for any other purpose than the matching of off airport points of departure/arrival with the corresponding controlling ARTCC for that point on the ground. The corresponding controlling ARTCC for landing facilities (airports/heliports/etc.) can be found in the NASR 28 day subscriber file APT.txt file which can be found at 28-Day NASR Subscription.​

Offhand, it sounds like the Surface Boundaries are not the regulatory Center areas, but intended so that there is access to information on which of two adjoining facilities actually cover certain points on the ground which are not airports.
@tspear Here’s a pic of that where they contained Greensboro Approach in Atlanta Centers Flight Data Processing System even though it spans two Centers.

upload_2023-4-6_8-49-9.png

These are ARTCC surface boundaries and define which center is responsible for processing IFR flight plans. They are not charted, what is charted is the ARTCC airborne boundaries. If your flight plan processor uses the airborne boundaries for filing purposes, particularly for flight plans that originate from a VOR/fix/Lat-long/fix-radial-distance, then when you are within about 50 NM of the airborne boundary where there is a risk that the flight plan will be rejected by the ARTCC and when you request your clearance from the wrong center, they will tell you it is not in their system. I requested these surface boundaries be published by the FAA and ForeFlight uses them for filing flight plans when off airport.

You also have these little bumps called mountains and the airways generally pass over the lowest available terrain.

But really, while there is plenty about the mountain west that will mess up the flatlanders, the restricted areas aren't that big a deal and won't confuse eastern pilots all that much.

I came to coastal NC from the DC FRZ - yep, the SUA, MOA, etc., constraints make it pretty tight - more so here then the DC are I think.

I am not IR, but have completed the ground school.
Do you have an IFR GPS? If yes why not go direct?

I'm guessing that based on your username, you haven't flown on the East coast much. :rofl: They loooooooove their airways, especially in the northeast.

I always liked how the FAA advises (or did) you should do this. But then will never say what the areas ARTCC covers...

What are you talking about? It's literally right there on the IFR charts.

Yeah I've literally never filed the fix in each ARTCC area. Its almost always direct, or if I'm going east Direct KELSI->Direct. But I've heard the stories of those busy coasts and their need for routing.

So the reason I've heard from some controllers for that is that their ancient computers only have the fixes in their center and parts of adjacent centers, plus the nationwide *high altitude* fixes. If you don't put one in, you may get "say on course heading" or something from the controller. But, in reality, it seems like when you're in the low sectors (below FL230) that there just isn't enough traffic for them to care. :(

Back