Did I wait to long?

96gs917

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Frank
I am new to this site as well as flying. I am 56 and just started training for my PPL March 1, and I have about 10 hours instruction time so far.

I started flying when I was a senior in high school (1975), and have always had a passion for airplanes, and flying but after high school, I had to give it up for lack of funds. Then the whole work, kids, wife, house thing prevented me from pursuing my PPL until now.

Now that the kids are on their own, and my wife and I have a few dollars saved, I figured it was time to get back into flying again.

Did I wait to long? I find it more difficult then I thought it would be. There's a lot to read, and know before I think I would feel really comfortable in the cockpit. I can take off, land, fly the pattern, and do all the basic maneuvers but my radio work is not very good, and I sometimes feel overwhelmed when I am trying to pay attention to the radio, my air speed, and keeping my turns coordinated especially base to final. The wind is also giving me fits on final, and landing.

Opinions, and advice would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Frank

As someone who is around the same age, I can empathize with the fact that the brain slows down a bit. However, this isn't rocket science, and I do not believe you waited too long. It may take a little longer than it would have at 27, but be patient and work at it and you'll get it. Good luck!

Did I wait to long? I find it more difficult then I thought it would be.
Thanks,
Frank

Even new, young pilots feel a bit overwhelmed at times too. My mother-in-law didn't learn to fly until she was 50. She also went on to get her instrument rating. When she was 70 she flew her Aztec from Georgia to Alaska and back. Her second husband was a commercial pilot. They bought the Aztec shortly after they married. Unfortunately he passed away the December before they were to make the Alaska trip during the upcomming summer. We were all a little concerned over her making this trip without her co-pilot husband, but she did it successfully. Hang in there. It may take a little extra effort, but it is certainly achievable if the motivation is there.

Keep at it , I restarted at 60.

It is a little daunting but just mellow out,enjoy the training flights. Get the written out of the way as it will help give you confidence in the flights.

Fly often to keep in the groove and if you can,find an instructor (or wife) that will cheer you on.

Patrick

My wife got her ppl at 54. It took her a year but she stuck with it and now, 4 years later. she is a very competent pilot with around 600 hours. Hang in there; set your personal limits but review and test them frequently. If you don't understand ATC instructions don't be afraid to ask them to "say again". With repetition the procedures get easier and you find you have more time to think about the other tasks at hand.

And the lesson is don't let a wife's priorities stop you from flying. Ever. You should be able to figure it out. What airport? If it is an overwhelming airport switch.

Trouble on the radio at 10 hours isn't uncommon regardless of age.

Fly. Be free. Learn. Have fun. Repeat.

I agree. It is definitely not too late. Go for it! Here's a free ebook that will help you get started and answer just about any question you might have. It's a free download, no sign up or email address required.

www.FreeFlyBook.com

Keep us posted how your training is coming along.

By the way friend of mine just finished building his plane and had his check ride scheduled last week but it was cancelled due to weather . He is at young age of 70+.

Definitely keep working at it, radio work gives almost everyone trouble. Biggest thing that helped me was listening to liveatc.net in my free time to get used to the comms flow at my local airport. You'll get there, just takes some time to get into the flow of things.

Keep at it. Consider yourself normal! I've met very few pilots that were aces at the radio. If it helps, I have a few thousand hours and I bomb the radio sometimes. The other pilot laughs with me and we move on!

Some things that will help: write out a script of what you would say and expect to hear getting to and from the practice area.

Have your instructor act as a controller and give you directions and you give him responses. (Don't be embarrassed, it's kind of fun for instructors!)

..and my favorite, visit www.liveatc.net and find your favorite airport. Listen in and pretend you are the pilots. What would you say?

All of this will give you a chance to practice outside of the pressures of flying the plane. Eventually it'll flow off your tongue smoothly 98% of the time. :)

Did I wait to long? I find it more difficult then I thought it would be. There's a lot to read, and know before I think I would feel really comfortable in the cockpit. I can take off, land, fly the pattern, and do all the basic maneuvers but my radio work is not very good, and I sometimes feel overwhelmed when I am trying to pay attention to the radio, my air speed, and keeping my turns coordinated especially base to final. The wind is also giving me fits on final, and landing.

Thanks,
Frank

Not waiting so long is not an option. There is not reason at this time to not proceed.

I am new to this site as well as flying. I am 56 and just started training for my PPL March 1, and I have about 10 hours instruction time so far.

I started flying when I was a senior in high school (1975), and have always had a passion for airplanes, and flying but after high school, I had to give it up for lack of funds. Then the whole work, kids, wife, house thing prevented me from pursuing my PPL until now.

Now that the kids are on their own, and my wife and I have a few dollars saved, I figured it was time to get back into flying again.

Thanks,
Frank
My dad started and completed PPL training when he was 65. His only previous aviation experience was as a flight engineer on B29s during WWII. My mom re-engaged with flying at the same time after about a 30 year hiatus.

Keep at it , I restarted at 60.

It is a little daunting but just mellow out,enjoy the training flights. Get the written out of the way as it will help give you confidence in the flights.

Fly often to keep in the groove and if you can,find an instructor (or wife) that will cheer you on.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. The wife is very supportive of my flying so far as long as I don't expect her to fly with me. I have a ways to go before that WILL HAPPEN.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I am definitely in it for the long haul. I can't wait for Saturday mornings, and heading to the airport. I fly out of KISP on Long Island which has commercial 737's flying and 4 or five flight schools so it is a very busy airport especially on the weekends.

My school (American Airman) and instructor have been great. He is very thorough, patient, and encouraging so far. We flew the pattern last Saturday and I did 5 touch and goes. The goes were fine, but my landings were not up to what I think they should be. (He agreed) I guess practice and flying time will help.

I have scheduled a 4 hour session for this Friday of which I should be actually flying for about 2.5 to 3 hours followed by my regular Saturday 2 hour session. I think this may help me get a better feel for the plane. (2006 Alarus CH2000)

I will take it slow, and try to enjoy the ride. Thanks again for all the encouragement and advice. This site, and the members posting here are truly a great resource. I will have many, many more questions.

Frank

Hey 96
I have the same history as you, except no kids. I started again my PPL at 56. It was a challenge and well worth it. It was so much fun that now I am really challenging myself by doing the IR. I just turned 60, it has not gotten easier, but it's worth it!

Practice practice practice. Perfect repetition makes perfect! Keep at it and keep having fun

I'm 56 and Tuesday weather permitting I finish flying off my solo time. Few hours of check ride prep and I get to take the check ride. Stick with it, its well worth it.

10 hours is nothing. By the time you're done at 60-70 hours or so, you will be MUCH more comfortable.

Search youtube for ATC communication videos. There are a LOT of them out there and they are very helpful.

I am definitely in it for the long haul. I can't wait for Saturday mornings, and heading to the airport.

It sounds like you have true a passion for it, so you will do fine. I dreamed of flying for most of my life, but made excuses as to why I shouldn't (too expensive, too dangerous, impractical, etc.). Then, at age 53, I was given a discovery flight for my birthday. I was hooked. It took me two years, with a few breaks in training and many moments of frustration and doubt, but finally I got my sport pilot certificate and fly regularly now, if not as often as I would like. Every time I fly, I look around in wonder at the beauty all around me, amazed and proud that I realized my dream. If you stick with it, it will probably be the most incredible journey of your life, and will teach you much not only about flying, but about yourself.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

My first student after getting my CFI was a mid-60s accountant. He did just fine, as will you. Many things are overwhelming at 10 hours that will be second nature by 30 hours. Just give it some time. Good luck!

It's a good idea to fly as often as you can but in my opinion it may be more productive to keep the sessions shorter.
Have fun .

Could also pick off peak times or skip to Brookhaven. Although on a busy day Brookhaven might be more nerve racking.

I used to shoot over to Bridgeport (BDR) to do touch and goes if I was already in the north practice area....BDR never seemed to busy

Could also pick off peak times or skip to Brookhaven. Although on a busy day Brookhaven might be more nerve racking.

That place makes me nervous on entry to the pattern.

Read this book...Say Again Please: Guide to Radio Communications

I believe it may a huge difference for me training in the say airspace you are
+1 on that.. Read it on the beach over a vacation when I was around the same point in my training....when I came back after a week MY S*** was CRISP!!!!

Listen to live atc for a tower nearby class c airport, also listen to the approach freq's in the local area (soon you will know the different services/ proceedures, even voices). When doing a monotonous task at work I would pick an airliner and listen for the distinct call-sign untill the frequency handed him off....

:idea:Since you are a LI flier like me...I would recommend listening to NY Approach on 118.8 on a VFR day when you are stuck at home doing what it is that we do between flights. You can hear students asking for advisories, others asking for flight following, and the SW jets making their way in. Do this and visualize what is happening for each participant...over time, your situational awareness will build as will your confidence.

This exercise helps to learn your own name in the system, and to tune your ear for it. I even heard "Air Force One" last week - you would think they would have a fancy descreet name for it in the system..no?

Good Luck.. See you in the practice area on Friday!

Last edited:
+1 on that.. Read it on the beach over a vacation when I was around the same point in my training....when I came back after a week MY S*** was CRISP!!!!

Listen to live atc for a tower nearby class c airport, also listen to the approach freq's in the local area (soon you will know the different services/ proceedures, even voices). When doing a monotonous task at work I would pick an airliner and listen for the distinct call-sign untill the frequency handed him off....

:idea:Since you are a LI flier like me...I would recommend listening to NY Approach on 118.8 on a VFR day when you are stuck at home doing what it is that we do between flights. You can hear students asking for advisories, others asking for flight following, and the SW jets making their way in. Do this and visualize what is happening for each participant...over time, your situational awareness will build as will your confidence.

This exercise helps to learn your own name in the system, and to tune your ear for it. I even heard "Air Force One" last week - you would think they would have a fancy descreet name for it in the system..no?

Good Luck.. See you in the practice area on Friday!

Owad,

I have been listening to both NY approach, and KISP tower through my schools website all week. I have also been watching youtube videos. Both have been helpful I think.

I am looking forward to Friday, the weather should be pretty good, but boy KISP is pretty windy most of the time. My CFI says its good to learn to deal with the wind early on.

I usually fly 266AM so keep an eye out for me, and listen for that squeaky voice on the radio, asking KISP tower to "say again".:thumbsup:

Thanks,
Frank

Ya got the fever.... It is terminal and none of us are going to be cured..;)

As for radio work... Listen to

Liveatc.net.

It's a good idea to fly as often as you can but in my opinion it may be more productive to keep the sessions shorter.
Have fun .

Thanks Ben,

I flew 2.5 hours today concentrating on the pattern, and about a dozen touch and goes, and WOW it was like a light bulb went on. I was nailing most of my landings. It really seemed to click today. What a confidence booster. I think I am making progress, and todays flight time really helped. Weather was perfect, no wind.

I have my regular 2 hour session tomorrow morning and I can't wait to get back up there.

Frank

Update.

Well, I've been flying every week and have 16 total hours in so far. My initial concerns about being overwhelmed have subsided a bit, and I am actually handling 95% of the radio. Lots of flying the pattern, and lots of T&G's. Its sort of coming together for me I think. CFI says he wants me to get checked out by the schools owner to make sure he thinks I am ready to solo. I am a little nervous about that but I think I am almost ready.

So far it's been an amazing ride for me. A lifelong dream is being fulfilled and I can honestly say its the best thing that's happened to me since my Daughter was born. The school is great, my CFI is wonderful, and the people I've met so far are an awesome bunch.

Thanks for listening
frank

Update.

Well, I've been flying every week and have 16 total hours in so far. My initial concerns about being overwhelmed have subsided a bit, and I am actually handling 95% of the radio. Lots of flying the pattern, and lots of T&G's. Its sort of coming together for me I think. CFI says he wants me to get checked out by the schools owner to make sure he thinks I am ready to solo. I am a little nervous about that but I think I am almost ready.

So far it's been an amazing ride for me. A lifelong dream is being fulfilled and I can honestly say its the best thing that's happened to me since my Daughter was born. The school is great, my CFI is wonderful, and the people I've met so far are an awesome bunch.

Thanks for listening
frank
Great to hear! Don't be nervous. Remember your CFI is responsible for you. He wouldn't endorse you to fly solo if he didn't think you're ready. He obviously thinks you are doing something right

Even new, young pilots feel a bit overwhelmed at times too. My mother-in-law didn't learn to fly until she was 50. She also went on to get her instrument rating. When she was 70 she flew her Aztec from Georgia to Alaska and back. Her second husband was a commercial pilot. They bought the Aztec shortly after they married. Unfortunately he passed away the December before they were to make the Alaska trip during the upcomming summer. We were all a little concerned over her making this trip without her co-pilot husband, but she did it successfully. Hang in there. It may take a little extra effort, but it is certainly achievable if the motivation is there.

Your mother in law is an amazing woman.

OP, stop with the pitty party and get flying. ;)

Last edited:
My situation is very similar to yours. I got a PPL at 17 and then stopped flying for 41 years. I just returned and logged nearly 200 hours in my first year back. I've had my humiliating moments, but I find myself no less alert than before and in fact, it seems easier now.

I echo the advise...take it slow, at your own pace. I'm working on IFR now. My goal: enjoy the process! The goal is not the license upgrade. The goal is to enjoy the journey. It's 5:40am here, and I'm headed up for some practice before work!

Thanks to everyone for the input. I am definitely in it for the long haul. I can't wait for Saturday mornings, and heading to the airport. I fly out of KISP on Long Island which has commercial 737's flying and 4 or five flight schools so it is a very busy airport especially on the weekends.

My school (American Airman) and instructor have been great. He is very thorough, patient, and encouraging so far. We flew the pattern last Saturday and I did 5 touch and goes. The goes were fine, but my landings were not up to what I think they should be. (He agreed) I guess practice and flying time will help.

I have scheduled a 4 hour session for this Friday of which I should be actually flying for about 2.5 to 3 hours followed by my regular Saturday 2 hour session. I think this may help me get a better feel for the plane. (2006 Alarus CH2000)

I will take it slow, and try to enjoy the ride. Thanks again for all the encouragement and advice. This site, and the members posting here are truly a great resource. I will have many, many more questions.

Frank

Hey Frank! I'm a fellow KISP pilot! It is a terrific airport and a great place to learn. Once you get the radios down at that airport you will never worry about going elsewhere. On a beutiful Saturday or Sunday it can get busy but also their are several dead times too. If you avoid the Southwest waves there( around 1100am and then again at 200pm and again at 500pm you will do yourself a favor. ATC is really nice there and they do a great job. Just listen and repeat what they say and they will leave you to fly the plane.

Keep flying, it's the only way you get better!

I would strongly recommend you NOT doing a 4 hour session. The max time you should be in the air, especially as a primary student is 1.2-1.5 hours and even that might be too long. You won't retain as much on those long flights as those short flights. Good Luck on the rest of your training though!

My dad got his PPL at 67, about 1 1/2 years ago. He is now getting ready to take his IFR checkride, and has about 350 hours. Go for it.

Back