Did I wait to long?

Just got my ticket Saturday at 57. First lesson was 30 years ago. I started back up again 9 months ago. Took 60 hours to get it. After 10 hours, I hadn't even decided on what flight instructor I would go with (I had flown with 8 differnt ones at that point). Don't believe everything you think, just go fly and don't pay attention to the monkey's in your head. Learning to fly has to do with "Embodiment" which comes by doing it.

I am new to this site as well as flying. I am 56 and just started training for my PPL March 1, and I have about 10 hours instruction time so far.

I started flying when I was a senior in high school (1975), and have always had a passion for airplanes, and flying but after high school, I had to give it up for lack of funds. Then the whole work, kids, wife, house thing prevented me from pursuing my PPL until now.

Now that the kids are on their own, and my wife and I have a few dollars saved, I figured it was time to get back into flying again.

Did I wait to long? I find it more difficult then I thought it would be. There's a lot to read, and know before I think I would feel really comfortable in the cockpit. I can take off, land, fly the pattern, and do all the basic maneuvers but my radio work is not very good, and I sometimes feel overwhelmed when I am trying to pay attention to the radio, my air speed, and keeping my turns coordinated especially base to final. The wind is also giving me fits on final, and landing.

Opinions, and advice would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Frank

Frank keep flying!! It is tough at first, but you can do it. Don't worry about the radio. I was really nervous to talk on the radio, but then realized they are just people so just talk to them. Keep going!

Just got my ticket Saturday at 57. First lesson was 30 years ago. I started back up again 9 months ago. Took 60 hours to get it. After 10 hours, I hadn't even decided on what flight instructor I would go with (I had flown with 8 differnt ones at that point). Don't believe everything you think, just go fly and don't pay attention to the monkey's in your head. Learning to fly has to do with "Embodiment" which comes by doing it.

Congrats on the ticket........

You are the newest pilot on POA....

:cheers::cheers:

Just a little update for those who may be interested.

I have been flying as much as possible and have a total of about 38 hours, 5 hours PIC. I'm on my third CFI since March, the latest "kid" is 20. He took over for the last "kid" (24) who pickup a ride with Cape Air a few weeks ago. He took over from my original instructor who was 27. I only flew once with this new kid, but he seems to know his stuff, but man, 20 seems young.

I soloed back in July, and seem to have conquered my radio issues. Here is a link to the second landing of that solo. (You can FF, still kinda new at posting to youtube) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBjFQKuXK94

I have been soloing regularly in the pattern, and preparing my solo xcountry which will be KISP-KHFD-KGON-KISP.

I gotta say, I don't fell overwhelmed anymore with the radio, or with keeping up with the airplane. Seems like its just a matter of planning ahead during flight, and following my check list. I purchased an Ipad mini with external GPS, and foreflight as a backup to the garmin 430 in the plane. I love Foreflight, and there is no reason for a guy like me to fly without it.

This weekend I will be soloing to KFOK, and back which is only about 15 minutes away but I am looking forward to it.

I can honestly say this flying stuff has me hooked, and flying a plane by myself has been one of the highlight of my life so far.

Now I just have to convince my wife to fly with me once I get my ticket.

This forum has been a great resource and form of encouragement for me, so thanks to everyone.

I'll keep you posted. :thumbsup:

Just a little update for those who may be interested.

I have been flying as much as possible and have a total of about 38 hours, 5 hours PIC.

No doubt............. You have the FEVER...... Enjoy the ride and keep us all posted....

Too long? Well, only you can determine that. If things are tougher to learn, well,that's just a ***** of getting old, work harder. Are you finding things impossible or confusing? Then maybe you did. Be sure you assess yourself honestly.

I would strongly recommend you NOT doing a 4 hour session. The max time you should be in the air, especially as a primary student is 1.2-1.5 hours and even that might be too long. You won't retain as much on those long flights as those short flights. Good Luck on the rest of your training though!

While that is generally true, it assumes the 4 hours would be one continuous lesson.

Alternately, the student and CFI may agree to a short cross country to a favorite lunch spot. Some air work may be done along the outbound leg. The return flight could either further emphasize previous lessons or introduce new lessons.

My point is the instruction period can be manifested in many ways, that it isn't necessarily confined to one lesson module repeated.

My objection is to assume such is to usurp the CFI in the student/CFI relationship.

And there is no reason on Earth that the student could not dictate how the day should go. While a primary student I often proposed to my CFI that we hit this or that airport or that we allow time for just sight seeing or lunch or... along the way. My CFI appreciated the respite from the syllabus as did I. Ramrodding towards the checkride is but only one way to do it. BTW: I did it in 28 days, even with the occasional departure from straight instruction.

Last edited:
Now I just have to convince my wife to fly with me once I get my ticket.

Good luck with that :) I'm now at about 78.9 total hours and 28.8 PIC and still can't get the wife in the plane with me.

Once you get your XC's out of the way you'll be just about ready to schedule your checkride....exciting time :)

My oldest student was 85, and owned his own 152 that he got as part of a real estate deal. Flew perfectly well but the knowledge test was too much for him. He was perfectly happy to go up in his plane with an instructor or other certificated pilot until he passed away.

I had dozens of students your age and older. I was 38 when I soloed.

Bob Gardner

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the input. I am definitely in it for the long haul. I can't wait for Saturday mornings, and heading to the airport. I fly out of KISP on Long Island which has commercial 737's flying and 4 or five flight schools so it is a very busy airport especially on the weekends.

My school (American Airman) and instructor have been great. He is very thorough, patient, and encouraging so far. We flew the pattern last Saturday and I did 5 touch and goes. The goes were fine, but my landings were not up to what I think they should be. (He agreed) I guess practice and flying time will help.

I have scheduled a 4 hour session for this Friday of which I should be actually flying for about 2.5 to 3 hours followed by my regular Saturday 2 hour session. I think this may help me get a better feel for the plane. (2006 Alarus CH2000)

I will take it slow, and try to enjoy the ride. Thanks again for all the encouragement and advice. This site, and the members posting here are truly a great resource. I will have many, many more questions.

Frank

As a long-time instructor, it is my opinion that (barring cross-country trips) any instruction/money after about 90 minutes is wasted. The mind can only accept so much new information without some time off to assimilate what has been learned. In fact, 90 minutes is pushing it.

Bob Gardner

As a long-time instructor, it is my opinion that (barring cross-country trips) any instruction/money after about 90 minutes is wasted. The mind can only accept so much new information without some time off to assimilate what has been learned. In fact, 90 minutes is pushing it.

Bob Gardner

I agree with you. After that I would only fly at most 1.5 hours except when I did my xcountry with my CFI, which took about 2.5 hours. My butt was killing me.

I have flown to Block Island (KBID), and Montauk (KMTP) for a $100 hamburger with my CFI. To me that was the best time, I really loved it. There's nothing like flying to someplace that would normally take 2-3 hours to drive, in 30 minutes.

I keep telling my Wife how great it is, texting her pictures, but no luck on getting her to fly with me (yet). I even tried arranging a quick flight with my CFI...no good. I guess we'll see what happens.

Thank for the advice Bob.

I keep telling my Wife how great it is, texting her pictures, but no luck on getting her to fly with me (yet). I even tried arranging a quick flight with my CFI...no good. I guess we'll see what happens.

Thank for the advice Bob.

Liquor is quicker......

Get her drunk,, she might do anything...;)

Good to hear you're progressing!

Some people mentioned writing a script but Im not a fan of that because it lends itself to becoming stuck in only using certain words. Instead I stuck to "who ya talking at, who are ya, where are ya, what dya want".

I think the greatest piece of information I ever got regarding radio work was you want to sound "calm, cool, and professional". Im now working towards becoming an air traffic controller...

Hey Frank - I started helicopter flight training a little after my 60th birthday. Talk about stressing a old guy out! Hardest damn thing I ever took on. Tried to talk myself into quitting at least a half dozen times. It took me so long to hover that I was in sight of a solo, then a check ride and whalah!! Radio was an absolute killer for me. Flying an R22 with the doors off can make radio comms a challenge sometimes - even with a great headset. Anyway - I know exactly where you're coming from and you'll have a great feeling of accomplishment when you get that certificate. Forge ahead!

Good to hear you're progressing!

Some people mentioned writing a script but Im not a fan of that because it lends itself to becoming stuck in only using certain words. Instead I stuck to "who ya talking at, who are ya, where are ya, what dya want".

I think the greatest piece of information I ever got regarding radio work was you want to sound "calm, cool, and professional". Im now working towards becoming an air traffic controller...

I used a script early on, but not anymore, I was to worried about which script to use. I have learned "please repeat" is my new favorite phrase when I couldn't understand what ATC said. So far so good.

Hey Frank - I started helicopter flight training a little after my 60th birthday. Talk about stressing a old guy out! Hardest damn thing I ever took on. Tried to talk myself into quitting at least a half dozen times. It took me so long to hover that I was in sight of a solo, then a check ride and whalah!! Radio was an absolute killer for me. Flying an R22 with the doors off can make radio comms a challenge sometimes - even with a great headset. Anyway - I know exactly where you're coming from and you'll have a great feeling of accomplishment when you get that certificate. Forge ahead!

Thanks Tony.

With any luck, I'll have my ticket by the spring. Still have to take the written, and I can hopefully get my xcountry in before the weather turns to crap. Definitely not going to quit, I am having a blast.

I used a script early on, but not anymore, I was to worried about which script to use. I have learned "please repeat" is my new favorite phrase when I couldn't understand what ATC said. So far so good.

The correct phrase to use when you did not understand ATC is "Say Again", I often add a 'please'.

I am new to this site as well as flying. I am 56 and just started training for my PPL March 1, and I have about 10 hours instruction time so far.

I started flying when I was a senior in high school (1975), and have always had a passion for airplanes, and flying but after high school, I had to give it up for lack of funds. Then the whole work, kids, wife, house thing prevented me from pursuing my PPL until now.

Now that the kids are on their own, and my wife and I have a few dollars saved, I figured it was time to get back into flying again.

Did I wait to long? I find it more difficult then I thought it would be. There's a lot to read, and know before I think I would feel really comfortable in the cockpit. I can take off, land, fly the pattern, and do all the basic maneuvers but my radio work is not very good, and I sometimes feel overwhelmed when I am trying to pay attention to the radio, my air speed, and keeping my turns coordinated especially base to final. The wind is also giving me fits on final, and landing.

Opinions, and advice would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Frank

I am not 56, but from experience I know what it is to take breaks and come back to fly. Do a lot of chair flying. Just sit in a chair at your home and go over the radio calls and pretend the ATC is giving back instructions and do this over and over again. You can also write down the instructions from the ATC as they are telling it to you while talking to ground. Similarly when you are in the air you can write the instructions but yes most important always remember to fly the plane. If you cannot follow an instruction from ATC, ask them to clarify. They are not that bad :)

Back