Did he just meet commercial XC requirement ?

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
Obviously asking for a friend. Day 1 , 515 NM with 3 stops. Overnight stop . Day 2 direct 315 nm.

Sounds to me day one hit the requirement as long as one leg was 250nm straight line from the departure.

Was it solo or with a CFI and did at any point the CFI do anything that remotely sounds like instruction or take the wheel?

Sounds to me day one hit the requirement as long as one leg was 250nm straight line from the departure.

Day 1 , the legs weren’t 250 nm apart. But from home base it’s 315 nm to the destination.

Was it solo or with a CFI and did at any point the CFI do anything that remotely sounds like instruction or take the wheel?

Solo. Wait, another POA-er flew in his own plane 3 nm apart. @sinister might know him

Day 1 , the legs weren’t 250 nm apart. But from home base it’s 315 nm to the destination.

Well then as long as you..eer..friend were solo then yes day 1 completed the requirements. But day 2 solidified it further. Nothing says it cant be spread across multiple days.

Your legs dont have to be 250nm as long as from departure to destination is 250nm.

I thought at least one leg of the commercial xc had to be 250nm?

Solo. Wait, another POA-er flew in his own plane 3 nm apart. @sinister might know him
Ironically, I pretty much witnessed the majority of your commercial cross country...from exactly 3nm away and about 200 ft above :) Way to go man :)

There were some crew cars involved .... but most were flying
And a hot single FBO babe with an extrodinary gift for finding cheap hotel rooms...I shoulda gave her crap about that :)

I thought at least one leg of the commercial xc had to be 250nm?

250nm from point of departure. So if you stop every 100 nm is okay as long as that last stop is at least 250nm from original departure.

One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point.

@WannFly - dude you just knocked out your commercial cross country!!! Remember who found you that tail wind across the whole trip :)

Damn :mad: I just missed mine by 28nm...argghhh!

250nm from point of departure. So if you stop every 100 nm is okay as long as that last stop is at least 250nm from original departure.

One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point.
I've been trying to figure out why one would think this requirement was not met.

If anyone can find the word "leg" in 61.129, please give us the citation.

Bob

Still need your dual cross countries with your instructor but yes you have met your solo one.

I think the main point he wanted clarified is that there was an overnight during his solo cross country and that it still counts.

I think the main point he wanted clarified is that there was an overnight during his solo cross country and that it still counts.
Dunno the exact route, but It looks like each day counts all by itself. And if they didn't, the 2-day trip would count even with the overnight.

Dunno the exact route, but It looks like each day counts all by itself. And if they didn't, the 2-day trip would count even with the overnight.

Route:

KFAR - KFSD - 200 nm - meet @Sinistar . his route. KGYL - KFSD 134.8
KFSD - KOMA - 141.8 nm
KOMA - KALO - 173.6 nm - overnight at KALO

Day 2 - KALO - KFAR - 322.7 for me.

it was an awesome experience. we had planned on Day 2 to go further east and may be touch KLSE and KEAU but winds were picking up at both our airports and i had a LLWS warning. we headed back home directly instead of going to 2 other airports and then deal with 20G25 winds with potential for LLWS when we are tired. approach to KFAR was interesting, i asked for practice ILS on 18 and got vectored around for about 20 mins. at 2500 had about 40 kt headwind from west, that changes to 20G24 from SW at about 600 AGL, luckily didnt hit a shear, but i can see why they issued the LLWS warning.

we had initially planned for a whole week of flying, initially to westerly heading, but that didnt pan out due to WX twice so far this year. even this week, the only 2 days we could find was Tuesday and Wednesday. crap moving in to Fargo shortly and going to be IMC till Saturday at least. man..its impossible to plan 3-4 days out for 2 mere new VFR pilots

Congrats to both of you!!! Sounds like a fun trip.

It seems like one of the things causing the question here is the idea that a XC must return to where it started, but this is certainly not true.

Of course, in training we usually return to the starting airport, because that's where our car is among other reasons. But a XC never has to come back to count, and there is nothing in the regulations that imply that.

This is why the flight on the first day counts all by itself - it's longer than 300nm total, one of the landings was more than 250 nm away from the starting point, there were landings at three airports, and it was solo.

Mine was when I bought an airplane and flew it back home, making sure to make 3 stops so it counted.

it was a lot of fun and this was our first visit to Charlie, it wasnt very busy though. my first time solo landing on parallel rny and i was sure lined up with the wrong one :d. tuning the ILS before hand saved my day. navigating the taxi layout at Omaha was the next challenge but wasnt too bad. calling CD instead of ground before you move was also first time for both of us. when i got a little confused with the taxi layout, i stopped and was looking at the taxi diagram when CD came in and kind of gave a progressive taxi instructions. i was 30 seconds away from asking it myself.

waterloo regional (KALO ) sleepy Delta with 3 runways, FBO was super nice (the front desk lady was 100 times nicer than the Tac Air lady at Omaha), found us a cheap hotel ($50 with hot breakfast) recommended a local smokehouse which was pretty good, gave us the crew car for overnight and kept our planes in heated hangars for $60 /ea.

Omaha (TAC Air) has a landing fee ($15) waived with 10 gal of gas purchase, there is a $7 facility usage fee. we got a crew car there, drove to downtown for lunch. we didnt even bother going to Signature, assuming their fees are higher. the FBO at Sioux Falls, SD was pretty nice too. smaller FBO's tend to be nicer than the big ones!

this was also my first time solo 3.4 hrs direct flight, huge confidence booster. of course, no flight is without surprise, my electric fuel pump (Piper PA-28) died mid flight, i discovered it while changing fuel tank, switch on the electric pump and the fuel flow needle didnt budge. verified on ground its completely dead. so now waiting for the part and will get my A&P in my hangar to fix it. i was planning to take off today AM and leave the plane with him, but decided not to push my luck. what are the chances that the engine driven pump would die when the electric one is already dead? dont know, didnt wanted to find out first hand.

Route:

KFAR - KFSD - 200 nm - meet @Sinistar . his route. KGYL - KFSD 134.8
KFSD - KOMA - 141.8 nm
KOMA - KALO - 173.6 nm - overnight at KALO

Day 2 - KALO - KFAR - 322.7 for me.

it was an awesome experience. we had planned on Day 2 to go further east and may be touch KLSE and KEAU but winds were picking up at both our airports and i had a LLWS warning. we headed back home directly instead of going to 2 other airports and then deal with 20G25 winds with potential for LLWS when we are tired. approach to KFAR was interesting, i asked for practice ILS on 18 and got vectored around for about 20 mins. at 2500 had about 40 kt headwind from west, that changes to 20G24 from SW at about 600 AGL, luckily didnt hit a shear, but i can see why they issued the LLWS warning.

we had initially planned for a whole week of flying, initially to westerly heading, but that didnt pan out due to WX twice so far this year. even this week, the only 2 days we could find was Tuesday and Wednesday. crap moving in to Fargo shortly and going to be IMC till Saturday at least. man..its impossible to plan 3-4 days out for 2 mere new VFR pilots
Sounds like a great trip, although Day 2 by itself wouldn't qualify since there was only one point of landing and not "landings at a minimum of three points."

Back