DHS Drone Crashes Into Pacific

At least it died doing what it loved :rofl: .

Intentional crash into the ocean. Glad they had a flight plan. Hope they drug tested the crew flying it.

12M , wow! I wonder when you remove all the secret squirrel radar what the drone costs, and how much it would cost if it were a purely GA vehicle.

I'm guessing it was BMI related.

12M , wow! I wonder when you remove all the secret squirrel radar what the drone costs, and how much it would cost if it were a purely GA vehicle.

The bigger question is why this kind of marine patrol is not done using 3 guys in a king air without all the ground supprt required for a UAV.

The bigger question is why this kind of marine patrol is not done using 3 guys in a king air without all the ground supprt required for a UAV.

Why a King Air? It could be done in a 182 or 206 on floats (for safety).

The taxpayers loss is a gain for a few contractors...you can bet a replacement will be ordered. Probably two, so there is a backup for the next one that is lost. :mad2:

Why a King Air? It could be done in a 182 or 206 on floats (for safety).

The taxpayers loss is a gain for a few contractors...you can bet a replacement will be ordered. Probably two, so there is a backup for the next one that is lost. :mad2:

Because King Airs have two engines. They are obviously better. Two ~$1m engines are much better than one ~$75k.

Taxpayers are just screwed...:goofy:

I'm sure Cessna could be coaxed into restarting the C-337 line for > dozen copies under $12M. Drivers can be a GS-11, or a Warrant Ofc with basic flight skills, and a spotter or two. Then you could have > 10 in the air at the same time, covering far more ground per hour than one drone.

Nah - that makes too much sense.

Why a King Air? It could be done in a 182 or 206 on floats (for safety)

Because you want enough payload to support a radar system, video/FLIR turret and consoles for two operators. This role is no different from fisheries patrol and lots of KAs are used for that.
DHS has fallen in love with drones camouflage BDUs and storm trooper helmets. Some people in the agency have wet dreams of roaming the country in APCs putting down civil unrest. And that assessment comes from friends within the agency ;-)

Joining customs, INS and border patrol into one agency was the only positive outcome of forming DHS, the rest is superfluous duplication.

My first decree after they make me king will be the dissolution of DHS and the reversion of their headquarters into the DC insane asylum it was before the construction started.

They'll probably spend 12 mil fishing it out of the drink.

If they bother to fish it out (I seriously doubt since everything will be destroyed and we don't have an enemy capable of coming to salvage it for technical intelligence) it would probably cost considerably more than $12M

You guys are some sick bastards....a real drone lost its life here!

Now, now, now, black humour is just a coping mechanism in these difficult times. Just remember, no innocent drone lives were lost - that drone shouldn't have been spying on folks.

Let's just consider whether we want these things operating where there isn't a convenient ocean to ditch in, like major metro areas.

I prefer manned airplanes because I have faith that the people in the airplane will do their damnedest not to kill my kid on the ground, including choosing the "Santini" option. I have less faith about a drone operator on the ground. Though I could have it wrong, and a remote operator might be more willing to sacrifice the airplane earlier by deliberately crashing it under control, rather than trying to save it until there's no control left.

If they bother to fish it out (I seriously doubt since everything will be destroyed and we don't have an enemy capable of coming to salvage it for technical intelligence) it would probably cost considerably more than $12M

Saw it on TV this morning... Big truck pulling away with a bunch of stuff UNDER a tarp.......... I have five bucks it was a fake load headed to the dump and they let the media in to film it...:confused:;)....

Saw it on TV this morning... Big truck pulling away with a bunch of stuff UNDER a tarp.......... I have five bucks it was a fake load headed to the dump and they let the media in to film it...:confused:;)....

Hmmm, must have stayed floating.

- that drone shouldn't have been spying on folks.

But...what if the folks being spied on were involved in criminal activity. Not all folks are "innocent". Some actually need intel gathered on them. There are some folks out there that you would not want around your families. Just a thought.

But...what if the folks being spied on were involved in criminal activity. Not all folks are "innocent". Some actually need intel gathered on them. There are some folks out there that you would not want around your families. Just a thought.
Did the drone have a warrant? Why are all the DHS spy programs named after American civil war battles?

And since you never know who might be involved in criminal activity, we'd better keep an eye on everyone. Just in case.

Right?

The border patrol doesn't need a warrant to patrol the border.

And since you never know who might be involved in criminal activity, we'd better keep an eye on everyone. Just in case.

Right?

There is good intel at times which allows such agencies to target a specific individual/group.

Unless you are spying on a prison, where the population has been charged, tried, convicted, and sentenced - then yes, all folks are in fact innocent. As for what the state needs, vs what the public is assured of in the contract with it's govt, the people need to be left alone and secure in the persons and papers.

Sad that an LEO has no concept of a rights-based society.

Unless you are spying on a prison, where the population has been charged, tried, convicted, and sentenced - then yes, all folks are in fact innocent. As for what the state needs, vs what the public is assured of in the contract with it's govt, the people need to be left alone and secure in the persons and papers.

I have the concept, and am well informed.

So I suppose that all beat cops should walk around with blinders on? That way they can't be accused of spying on innocent people they pass on the street.

You're making a big stretch to link observation to spying. I'm not sure we really know what this drone was doing.

So I suppose that all beat cops should walk around with blinders on? That way they can't be accused of spying on innocent people they pass on the street.

You're making a big stretch to link observation to spying. I'm not sure we really know what this drone was doing.

I don't really know how much visual, infrared, audio, digital access is enough for LEOs. But what I do know is that all people are not criminals. I'm not a criminal, but - maybe you are, and bear close surveillance. Maybe your phone should be tapped without a warrant. Maybe the state should fly drones around your house, and look in any open window. Maybe they should set up a camera that records heat to see how many watts of energy you use. maybe they should put some directional mics outside and aim them at your windows, might need to break into your wireless signal, and check on what websites you visit. Track your license plate to see where you go every day.

It's all good. OBTW, you hit the nail on the head there when you said "innocent people they pass on the street" with a rather glib manner. Cause that's just exactly what they are. Until - you aren't.

This drone was off-shore monitoring boat traffic. This was no more 'spying' than a customs officer noting down your license plate if you show up at a border crossing point.

Looks like the drone had a alternator failure and they were running out of electrons for the trip back.

This drone was off-shore monitoring boat traffic. This was no more 'spying' than a customs officer noting down your license plate if you show up at a border crossing point.

So it was basically doing what we've been doing with manned aircraft for decades.

Monitoring North bound Pongas most likely, making sure they are from the 'approved cartel'.

You know, that's awfully expensive skeet. It's going to be fun to watch 'em get shot down if/when they become prevalent.

I may even have to join in on that action if I see one at low altitude over the middle of my 160 acres.

You know, that's awfully expensive skeet. It's going to be fun to watch 'em get shot down if/when they become prevalent.

I may even have to join in on that action if I see one at low altitude over the middle of my 160 acres.

It'll be interesting to see if they try to bill you for it.

It'll be interesting to see if they try to bill you for it.

Which leads to an interesting question... The wreckage falls on your private property, either by it getting shot down or a mechanical failure..

Can you deny the feds access to recover it..:dunno:..

also..... suppose it was a 747 from a major airline.. can you deny them access.:dunno:

Which leads to an interesting question... The wreckage falls on your private property, either by it getting shot down or a mechanical failure..

Can you deny the feds access to recover it..:dunno:..

also..... suppose it was a 747 from a major airline.. can you deny them access.:dunno:

You could try, but I bet they would have your property surrounded by armed guards for the 15 minutes it takes them to secure a warrant.

Back