Dave Taylor
(corrosion, or other deterioration)
IO-550

add to the list:

-look for rust in the top end (scope)
-oil analysis
-filter or screen inspection
-pull a pushrod, lifter

More than a few planes have been sitting around or started up once a month, now their for sale, how lucky do you feel.

Don't worry about bottom end corrosion, it will find you.

Attachments

• lifter spauling.jpg
    lifter spauling.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 38
seems like we need a better way
-Esp for buyers; to learn the condition of the internals
better than the current 'surprise, you need a new camshaft!'
A way to catch the very first imperfection of a lifter.

We are capable of so much; we need to put heads together to devise a system or technique to help this problem.

(corrosion, or other deterioration)
IO-550

add to the list:

-look for rust in the top end (scope)
-oil analysis
-filter or screen inspection
-pull a pushrod, lifter
We have a method.. -- overhaul it, you know you are going to anyway.

seems like we need a better way
-Esp for buyers; to learn the condition of the internals
better than the current 'surprise, you need a new camshaft!'
A way to catch the very first imperfection of a lifter.

We are capable of so much; we need to put heads together to devise a system or technique to help this problem.

If you are worried about cam & lifters pay a mechanic to take out all the lifters... If the seller doesn't want someone dinking with the engine (especially a mechanic he doesn't know or trust) then maybe you need to walk away.

Yep, responses confirm in my mind we need a better way.

I don't think engine manufactuers want you to know whats in there. If they did there would be inspection plugs you could stick a borescop into. Unfortunately that is only a reallity for turbines.

Next time I see one apart I am going to seek a borescope route through the oil filler as a plan to peek at the cam lobes

If you are worried about cam & lifters pay a mechanic to take out all the lifters... If the seller doesn't want someone dinking with the engine (especially a mechanic he doesn't know or trust) then maybe you need to walk away.
What kind of Idiot selling a plane would let a mechanic he doesn't know take his engine apart to look inside before buying it.

What kind of Idiot selling a plane would let a mechanic he doesn't know take his engine apart to look inside before buying it.
I would let them do it on their dime. As long as while they are in there they replace anything out of tolerance (I'll pay for the parts).

Back