Design your dream home workshop to build a kit

That sparks an idea that certain colors of floor might be better for finding dropped screws and rivets.

whatever you do don’t flake it. Bare concrete is bad, epoxy or paint with flakes is worse. We moved into a new house a year ago and I had our garage floor epoxied with a flaked finish—looks great until you drop a small hardware item and it disappears.

whatever you do don’t flake it. Bare concrete is bad, epoxy or paint with flakes is worse. We moved into a new house a year ago and I had our garage floor epoxied with a flaked finish—looks great until you drop a small hardware item and it disappears.

We’ve had flakes since 2013. The key is looking across, not down. I have been known to lay down an old bed sheet when working on the motorcycle though.

We’ve had flakes since 2013. The key is looking across, not down. I have been known to lay down an old bed sheet when working on the motorcycle though.

That’s the technique I use on any floor, flake or not, but I stand by recommendation. No flake for workshops or hangars.

I built my 10 in a regular three car garage. It worked but my wife and I had to park our cars outside for a number of years.

I'm actually in the planning stages of an additional oversized 2 car garage/shop (24x30 maybe) for my next project. Here are a few must haves on this building;
- 220 electric. I want to get a larger compressor
- Spray Foam insulation. My 3 car is spray foamed which helped me work all year round.
- Heat/Air. Will probably do a split unit and an electric heater to be more comfortable when working all year round.
- Retract Electrical and compressor hoses. Helps keep things neat and tidy.
- Oversized door. My 10 barely made it under my garage door. Oversized will help any future tall projects.
- Solid LED lighting. Had to use a number of portable lights and flash lights at times on the 10.
- Fancy builtin cabinets. Why not....

3 words: climate controlled workshop

Back