jjames34

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jjames34
First being that I'm new to this site I would like to thank everyone that participates in this forum. Being new to aviation it's nice to find these forums in order to try and help everyone become safer and more experienced.

Being new to this forum I'm unable to attach any documents. The document I'm referencing in my questions comes from _skyvector.com, it's the LEWIS THREE DEPARTURE (GRAY3.GRAY).
I was searching around playing stump the chump with myself, unfortunately it's pretty easy at this stage....

QUESTIONS:
1. What does the minimum climb rate table at the top of the page tell me? I know I have to meet those climb rates if I accept the DP but whats the difference between ATC Climb rate and Minimum Climb Rate?

2. Why do they give you a circle a (To 700) and circle b (To 600 not for civil use) but the departure route description says something else.

3. Is the "Turn left as soon as practical" in the departure route description for TAKE-OFF RWY 15 when I reach 400' after crossing the DER @35'? or whenever I want? Reading the ODP is appears to be alot of tall trees in the area.

I appreciate any help especially references or sites that are good at explaining things. Thanks in advance.

Jesse

1. Minimum climb is for obstacles. ATC is what is requested by ATC. If you can't make the ATC but can make the minimum, just inform ATC and they will usually accept it that you can't make the ATC rate.

2. the 700 and 600 is when that restriction stops. So if you are flying 60 knots groundspeed, and departing 15, you need to do 400 ft/min up to 700 ft., then your normal 200 ft/nm after that.

3. Yes, 400' and past the departure end of the runway.

Chapter 1 of the Instrument Procedures Handbook.

1. Minimum climb is for obstacles. ATC is what is requested by ATC. If you can't make the ATC but can make the minimum, just inform ATC and they will usually accept it that you can't make the ATC rate.

2. the 700 and 600 is when that restriction stops. So if you are flying 60 knots groundspeed, and departing 15, you need to do 400 ft/min up to 700 ft., then your normal 200 ft/nm after that.

3. Yes, 400' and past the departure end of the runway.

Chapter 1 of the Instrument Procedures Handbook.

Thank you Sir for your time. I'll have to put down the Instrument Flying Handbook and work through the IPH.

While trying to find a reference for the "turn left as soon as practical" I found the below paragraph. I still cant find it in a manual but it makes sense that you would turn as soon as you hit 400' being that you could technically be in the cloud passing the DER and there's a restricted area off of the departure end.

Unless specified otherwise, required obstacle clearance for all departures, including diverse, is based on the pilot crossing the departure end of the runway at least 35 feet above the departure end of runway elevation, climbing to 400 feet above the departure end of runway elevation before making the initial turn, and maintaining a minimum climb gradient of 200 feet per nautical mile (FPNM), unless required to level off by a crossing restriction, until the minimum IFR altitude. A greater climb gradient may be specified in the DP to clear obstacles or to achieve an ATC crossing restriction. If an initial turn higher than 400 feet above the departure end of runway elevation is specified in the DP, the turn should be commenced at the higher altitude. If a turn is specified at a fix, the turn must be made at that fix. Fixes may have minimum and/or maximum crossing altitudes that must be adhered to prior to passing the fix. In rare instances, obstacles that exist on the extended runway centerline may make an “early turn” more desirable than proceeding straight ahead. In these cases, the published departure instructions will include the language “turn left(right) as soon as practicable.” These departures will also include a ceiling and visibility minimum of at least 300 and 1. Pilots encountering one of these DPs should preplan the climb out to gain altitude and begin the turn as quickly as possible within the bounds of safe operating practices and operating limitations. This type of departure procedure is being phased out.

Back