Demonstrated Crosswind Component

IBut as liability has been mentioned- should the aircraft get pranged while landing when the MDCC is exceeded, don't expect the insurance companies to pay up,
On what grounds could they deny coverage? You've neither violated a reg nor exceeded a limitation.
and if someone were to be injured or worse, it would be likely the FAA/ NTSB would have a finding of pilot error.
If you lose control on landing in a crosswind, they'll find that whether you exceeded the MDCC or not.
No claim could be made against the manufacturer with that finding.
I can't imagine any claim against the mfr in a loss-of-control accident ever being sustained, anyway, even if the MDCC was not exceeded -- the pilot's own involvement makes skill/proficiency the real issue.
But I would fully expect the CFI who trained that pilot to be put on the carpet by the FAA/NTSB, about whether exceeding MDCC was included in the course of training.
I've never seen that happen. In fact, the issue of MDCC not being a limitation is a popular question on PP practical tests.

In the airline side of things, the FAA mandated in our training program X-wind training in excess of the Demonstrated Cross Wind Component.

What part 121 aircraft are you flying that has a demonstrated crosswind component? Throughout my airline career (includes ATR's, Embraers, 737's, MD80s, and currently 767/757), all the aircraft either have a crosswind limitation or no limitation at all. None of them have had a demonstrated crosswind component.

What part 121 aircraft are you flying that has a demonstrated crosswind component? Throughout my airline career (includes ATR's, Embraers, 737's, MD80s, and currently 767/757), all the aircraft either have a crosswind limitation or no limitation at all. None of them have had a demonstrated crosswind component.

As per my AOM on the B727 "Max Demonstrated Crosswind T.O./Landing (not limiting) 29Kts"

Airlines may put crosswind limits in their company ops manual, and those become regulatory since obedience to the manual is a regulation, but I don't think Part 25 aircraft necessarily have crosswind limits in the aircraft flight manual published by the mfr.

I don't think Part 25 aircraft necessarily have crosswind limits in the aircraft flight manual published by the mfr.
All the ones that I have flown have had published maximum demonstrated crosswind component limits.

Airlines may put crosswind limits in their company ops manual, and those become regulatory since obedience to the manual is a regulation, but I don't think Part 25 aircraft necessarily have crosswind limits in the aircraft flight manual published by the mfr.

I think you're correct. At my airline the 757/767 does not have a published x-wind limit. IT has recommendations based on dry, wet, snow covered runway, but no limitations. The ATR had a limit, and the Embraer 145 only had a company imposed limitation.

All the ones that I have flown have had published maximum demonstrated crosswind component limits.
I kinda doubt that. I think it would have either a "maximum demonstrated crosswind component" or a "maximum crosswind component limit." Demonstration <> limit. Limits are in Section 2 of the AFM, demonstrated values are elsewhere.

Uhh, is it a limit? The word "demonstrated" is kind of a hangup for me. :wink2:
You're right, it's not a limit. I guess I phrased it wrong and misinterpreted Ron's statement. What I meant was all the Part 25 airplanes I have flown have had a maximum demonstrated crosswind component published.

"Maximum demonstrated crosswind component (Not limiting, with or without thrust reversers) -- 25 knots

Last edited:
As for the General Operations Manual (GOM) being regulatory, I ask this question. Is the GOM "Accepted" or "Approved" by the POI? There is a difference in regard to the "Regulatory" nature you stated above.

The FAA inspector's checklist for certifying an air carrier has a box marked "Approve Operations Specifications." So I think it's "Approved."

Whether they're "accepted" or "approved," compliance with the company FOM is mandated by the regulations.

Back