demonstrate crosswind???

korben88

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Troy
20161005_233507.jpg My instructor gave me a pre solo worksheet to fill out (I think this means I'm close) I'm not sure what he's asking for here though.

Looks like the "d" was dropped. I believe he's asking what the demonstrated crosswind component is for the airplane. Not technically a limitation, but if you screw up a landing beyond that crosswind, it quickly is looked upon as one.

We haven't discussed that, at least not that I remember.
Is it something I would find in the POH?

Yes, POH or AFM for demonstrated crosswind. What aircraft?

We haven't discussed that, at least not that I remember.
Is it something I would find in the POH?
Yes.. often in the limitations section, although technically not a limitation.

And the winner is.... @dmspilot

Section 4 page 3
Maximum demonstrated crosswind velocity:
Takeoff or landing...... 15 knots

Thanks a bunch guys!

It's in beginning of the normal procedures section, Section 4, Airspeeds for Normal Operation.

It's not in the limitations section because it's not a limitation.
Many airplanes it IS listed in the limitation section. Can't say for sure about the OP's plane.

And the winner is.... @dmspilot

Section 4 page 3
Maximum demonstrated crosswind velocity:
Takeoff or landing...... 15 knots

Thanks a bunch guys!

Make sure you do have a discussion with your CFI about it. "Demonstrated" means something. They'll chat with you about how to know when crosswinds are unsafe...

Make sure you do have a discussion with your CFI about it. "Demonstrated" means something. They'll chat with you about how to know when crosswinds are unsafe...

I just read a couple good articles in it, but of course I'll talk with my cfi about it Friday (weather permitting)

Good luck on the first solo.

Thank you, It should be either this lesson or next.

If it were me, I would line up perpendicular to the runway and call final.
When the CFI asks what the hell I am doing I would state I am going to demonstrate crosswind.

* Ignore me. The thread has already provided a solution and subsequently started going south.
then you'll be pulling the red handle.....:lol:

Most of the Citation line.
Kritch, I think you might be confused.

The manufacturer isn't going to put a demonstrated x-wind in the limitations section unless they specifically intend it to be a limitation, and then it I'll be published as a limit.

In the Citation manuals I have (different models in the 500 series, you will not find a demonstrated x-wind in the limitations section. Just a tailwind limit.

If it were me, I would line up perpendicular to the runway and call final.
When the CFI asks what the hell I am doing I would state I am going to demonstrate crosswind.

* Ignore me. The thread has already provided a solution and subsequently started going south.

Or you could walk to the side of the runway and blow across the threshold. See? There, a crosswind.

crosswinds_tshirt.jpg

Kritch, I think you might be confused.

The manufacturer isn't going to put a demonstrated x-wind in the limitations section unless they specifically intend it to be a limitation, and then it I'll be published as a limit.

In the Citation manuals I have (different models in the 500 series, you will not find a demonstrated x-wind in the limitations section. Just a tailwind limit.
indeed it seems odd, but true. I just found section 3 (limitations) for a C680 on line.
Look at the bottom of page 21.
As a side note, the section also has Va speeds, which I don't believe is technically a limitation either (could be wrong on that).

http://www.smartcockpit.com/download.php?path=docs/&file=Cessna_Citation_Sovereign-Limitations.pdf

To the OP, there may be a chart in the POH that helps you find the x-wind component based on the wind direction vs your heading (it'll be in the PHAK for sure). You'll learn how it works soon anyway ( or at least you should). There are elecrtronic aids that you can use too (apps, calcs).

Most questions asked seem to be easily answered by the person training you. If you can line up on the centerline and keep it there on final you should be able to land it. ( direct cross wind) A lot depends on your hours, can you , for instance , wing low, plant it on one wheel when you touch down?? With 100 hours probably not. With five hundred or a thousand maybe yes. I think 15 knots i n most cessnas ,pipers, (light aircraft) lets most pilots out unless they are high time. Side loading becomes a problem in a direct cross wind.

indeed it seems odd, but true. I just found section 3 (limitations) for a C680 on line.
Look at the bottom of page 21.
As a side note, the section also has Va speeds, which I don't believe is technically a limitation either (could be wrong on that).

http://www.smartcockpit.com/download.php?path=docs/&file=Cessna_Citation_Sovereign-Limitations.pdf

You posted a Flight Crew Operating Manual for a transport-category airplane. The Operating Manual is not FAA approved and does not govern the operation of the airplane. Therefore, the manufacturer can put any information they want, in any order. The real limitations are found in the AFM, not the OM.

I believe it was implied we were talking about AFMs, and normal category airplanes. In other words, information that might actually help OP answer their question.

You posted a Flight Crew Operating Manual for a transport-category airplane. The Operating Manual is not FAA approved and does not govern the operation of the airplane. Therefore, the manufacturer can put any information they want, in any order. The real limitations are found in the AFM, not the OM.

I believe it was implied we were talking about AFMs, and normal category airplanes. In other words, information that might actually help OP answer their question.
It's a copy of the AFM published for training purposes seeing as though AFMs are aircraft specific.

I believe that if a question is limited in scope, the question should be phrased to reflect those limits in scope...yeah, the OP is probably unaware of the difference, but I also believe that simplifying without stating that the answer is simplified is bad primacy.

I'm not sure what your point is.
I have flown those airplanes for many years, and have done more flight manual revisions than I care to remember. What I posted was a copy of the limitations for training purposes. They are not revised other than throwing out the book, but I assure you it's printed the same in the actual AFM.
You don't have to believe me... I really don't care.

Back