Delta Zulu Audio Recording

OneCharlieTango

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
OneCharlieTango
The Lightspeed site, as well as YT reviews, mention that the Lightspeed app records audio from the headset. It isn't exactly clear what you're getting.

You can instantly repeat 15", presumably for missed clearances and such. And apparently, any flights you want to save later, you can save to the cloud somewhere. Cloud somewhere?

Is this usable for video? That is, if you're making a video and want headset audio, would this work in the same way as the $120 Nflight cable? Any idea what format the audio is saved in?

I'm looking at headsets and audio cables. It would be nice to get both in the same package, even though my head is better shaped for David Clarks. there are obviously other desirable features on the Lightspeeds, but the only one I'm asking about is the audio recording.

The Lightspeed site, as well as YT reviews, mention that the Lightspeed app records audio from the headset. It isn't exactly clear what you're getting.

You can instantly repeat 15", presumably for missed clearances and such. And apparently, any flights you want to save later, you can save to the cloud somewhere. Cloud somewhere?

Is this usable for video? That is, if you're making a video and want headset audio, would this work in the same way as the $120 Nflight cable? Any idea what format the audio is saved in?

I'm looking at headsets and audio cables. It would be nice to get both in the same package, even though my head is better shaped for David Clarks. there are obviously other desirable features on the Lightspeeds, but the only one I'm asking about is the audio recording.
I have Zulu 3 and Delta Zulu.

I believe it saves audio locally to an iOS device and you need the Lightspeed app (iOS only). Pretty sure no cloud. And I would not recommend syncing to video. I have not used the feature though.

I have a love hate relationship with my GoPro for video with audio coming from my headset panel jack...

I am rather happy I didn't buy my Zulu 3's for this the audio recording feature. I really liked the idea of being able to record to my Iphone. However, I have never made it work and finally gave up as it usually only recorded one side of the conversation. Has been a while since I have tried to make it work and there may be a switch setting that makes it work ok. It just wasn't a priority for me to get it working. But I felt this was an area/feature that could easily stand some improvement. Hopefully the Delta Zulu's work better at audio recording.

Brian

I tried to get it to work last year and never could. Lightspeed was no help.

I gotta admit, when I see things about these “audio playback” features, I wonder how useful they really are. I mean, if I don’t reply to ATC a LOT quicker than 15 seconds (the amount this headset reportedly records), they’re onto me about “Nxxxxx did you copy?” Even on the ground getting a clearance, I have a hard time imagining telling Clearance Delivery “hang on - let me listen to my recording and I’ll be right back”. Do people actually use these and, if so, when and how? Honest question. Seems like a “feature”, not a “benefit”.

“Just to verify, you're talking about a Delta Zulu not a Zulu 3?”
Sorry, Zulu 3. The setup I had was their cable and software running on an iPad. Never worked.

Dan millican records all of his flying audio for his videos using his Delta zulu headset. Using the DZ app on his phone or iPad. It seems to work well.

I have DZs, and while I have no real use for the recording feature, I did play around with it a couple times. It captures any audio going through the headset at great quality, and no extra cables or accessories is definitely a plus.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dan. I saw you mention it on a video, but it was news to you at that time. I thought about PM’ing you to see how it worked, but didn’t want to look like some sort of YT Dan groupie!

So, it saves on a .wav file or similar and you just upload it to Final Cut Pro?

Thanks, Dan. I saw you mention it on a video, but it was news to you at that time. I thought about PM’ing you to see how it worked, but didn’t want to look like some sort of YT Dan groupie!

Records it as an m4a.

And thats funny on the groupie thing. lol

I gotta admit, when I see things about these “audio playback” features, I wonder how useful they really are. I mean, if I don’t reply to ATC a LOT quicker than 15 seconds (the amount this headset reportedly records), they’re onto me about “Nxxxxx did you copy?” Even on the ground getting a clearance, I have a hard time imagining telling Clearance Delivery “hang on - let me listen to my recording and I’ll be right back”. Do people actually use these and, if so, when and how? Honest question. Seems like a “feature”, not a “benefit”.
I used it to settle an argument with my CFI over what ATC really said. I won, so it was definitely a benefit and not merely a feature. :)

Outside of that, there were a few times ATC gave a hand-off only for me to go unanswered in dead air on the new frequency. Playback helped to confirm that I didn't hear incorrectly or fat-finger the dials.

I have Zulu 3 and Delta Zulu.

I believe it saves audio locally to an iOS device and you need the Lightspeed app (iOS only). Pretty sure no cloud. And I would not recommend syncing to video. I have not used the feature though.

I have a love hate relationship with my GoPro for video with audio coming from my headset panel jack...
Notice any difference in sound attenuation between the two models?

I was disappointed that the Bose weren’t any better (for me) than my Zulu 3s so I’m curious about delta z

Tia

Headsets are so very subjective - mostly. I had an old Zulu 2 that was deteriorating and falling apart. I have an embarrassment of riches in the headset department (one A30, two A20s, one QC15/uflymike, one QC25/uflymike, and the Zulu 2) but I figured it would be a good passenger headset in the TwinCo if I upgraded it to the Zulu 3. Sent it in to Lightspeed for that - $300. They did a pretty good job, other than some of the sticky/deterioriating rubber wasn't replaced on the headset. I did one leg with the Zulu 3 and one with the A20.

Still a pretty obvious difference in sound quality, especially sidetone, but bluetooth music sounded pretty similar (a bit bassy for my tastes on the Zulu 3 but still very good.) The A20s were a little more comfortable and audio clarity was cleaner.

To me it still comes down to durability. I've equipped an entire flight department with the Zulus and they fell apart under heavy use. I think we sent four headsets back for repair 2-3 times each over the course of a few years. That still sticks with me, even though the company is a piece of cake to work with for service, I've never even had to send a Bose product back once. For most GA pilots that may not be an issue (lower utilization). But my Zulu 2s fell apart just sitting in the bag. The cables came apart, almost like I ran over them with a seat track; the "box" rubber got ultra sticky and unpleasant to handle; and as usual one of the two cords eventually flakes out. We'll see if the braided cable on the Zulu 3 is any better.

I bought the Lightspeed PFX (isn't that what it was called?) when it came out a number of years ago - huge battery bax (4 AAs) - clunky features - I gave it away.

Bose doesn't always hit homeruns. I also had the ProFlight 2s and didn't care for them. I gave those to another pilot in our operation and bought the A30 to replace it. That's not really a GA headset, but I definitely didn't love it.

The A30s are good. I would call it a very incremental step up from the A20s, and a little better in quieter environments (like a turbojet flight deck.) I would not spend my own money to move up from the A20 to the A30 just for the featureset. It's just the replacement to get when your A20s die.

If Lightspeed ever figures out a way to make it possible for these headsets to survive in a professional environment, it'll let them compete with Bose head-to-head. On the other hand, one does pay a premium for Bose (you get what you pay for,)

Back