Delta Runway Crash in LGA

Fair enough, just doesn't happen to often I suppose

It most likely consists of an inspector riding along during one of the post accident sim sessions. A 709 ride is not a big scary event. The purpose is to make sure you know the cause of the event, you are aware of errors, you have an attitude that makes them confident you won't repeat that error, and that you can indeed perform the one failed flight task.

Thing is,mother are independent, but connected systems. Typically there is a switch to over ride the traction control system, but not the ABS.

Correct in the case of my two Toyotas. You can turn off trac but I believe the ABS stays on.

That's what the emergency brake is for, and why all non-US carmakers have them as a hand brake to easily pull and release instead of "step to set, step again to release" like in my truck.
My non-US car has a push-on, push-off emergency brake.

Saw some photos of the MD-88 in the hangar on a friend's FB feed. The left wing is pretty chewed up, but remained generally intact. Main gear looks to be attached.

Definitely. 709s are very common following mishaps.

I'd be more surprised if it didn't happen in this case.

I can't imagine it's avoidable. They tried to figure out how to avoid mine, but since I held a CPL they couldn't; even though the circumstances had admittedly been resolved orally, the regs required we get in an airplane to complete and close the event. I can't imagine they could bypass it with an ATP. He said if I held a PP he could have closed it at the scene.

Does the company take care of the 709 rides? Or is it done by the FAA?

Only the FAA can conduct a 44709 Evaluation.

What typically happens in a situation such as this, the company will retrain the pilots and administer any punitive actions, then present their plan to the FAA. Usually the FAA will accept it and move on. Typically at the end of their training the FAA will observe their check administered by a company check airman.

I can't imagine it's avoidable. They tried to figure out how to avoid mine, but since I held a CPL they couldn't; even though the circumstances had admittedly been resolved orally, the regs required we get in an airplane to complete and close the event. I can't imagine they could bypass it with an ATP. He said if I held a PP he could have closed it at the scene.

You keep saying this even after being told it's not necessarily true. Your Commercial rating had nothing to do with it simply because you are not acting in the capacity of a commercial pilot.

44709 is at the discretion of the investigating Inspector, it can be given as an oral or flight check, or neither.

In your situation there should not have been a 709 ride under current guidance. You got lucky. :rolleyes:

You keep saying this even after being told it's not necessarily true. Your Commercial rating had nothing to do with it simply because you are not acting in the capacity of a commercial pilot.

44709 is at the discretion of the investigating Inspector, it can be given as an oral or flight check, or neither.

In your situation there should not have been a 709 ride under current guidance. You got lucky. :rolleyes:

I was told by the inspector actually handling my file that it had nothing to do with the capacity I was acting in, but the capacity that my certificate permits.

What typically happens in a situation such as this, the company will retrain the pilots and administer any punitive actions, then present their plan to the FAA. Usually the FAA will accept it and move on. Typically at the end of their training the FAA will observe their check administered by a company check airman.
I see. That makes sense.

Well, in this case, assume there is some deficiency in the pilot's ability with snow/ice runways use of braking reports, anti-skid whatev.

So he gets a rip by the company, then takes a recert/training/eval ride are they gonna go do it in actual conditions? Like in AK or something? I mean, how can the FAA recreate the conditions of the putative failing?

Well, in this case, assume there is some deficiency in the pilot's ability with snow/ice runways use of braking reports, anti-skid whatev.

So he gets a rip by the company, then takes a recert/training/eval ride are they gonna go do it in actual conditions? Like in AK or something? I mean, how can the FAA recreate the conditions of the putative failing?

Simulator.

Breaking action reports are a joke anyway. You can have 2 of the same airplane land one right after another and get totally different reports. Guess we will find out when the report comes out what happened.

I don't really care about braking action report unless someone calls it "Nil". I want the tap mews instead.

As for someone reporting the "chutes" didn't deploy, my thinking is that they meant the evacuation slides instead.

Braking action is "good" until it isn't, at which point...

I don't really care about braking action report unless someone calls it "Nil". I want the tap mews instead.

As for someone reporting the "chutes" didn't deploy, my thinking is that they meant the evacuation slides instead.

Cattle chutes, slides, same diff. LOL. Think mooooo.

2v7HEVi.png

Previous company's coworker/boss tells me this morning that another coworker was on that flight. Wow.

This is exactly how it works at my company.

This will be an interesting one. This was not an overrun. They literarily lost directional control on the runway.

This will be an interesting one. This was not an overrun. They literarily lost directional control on the runway.

I was wondering what the alignment was given the view. If the runway is ice, it doesn't take much force to upset the inertia. If they are on the brakes with nothing, then suddenly one gets a momentary bite, off to that side they are going.

Last edited:
Back