Delta oops...

Not necessarily LD. We had a Capt get fired because he landed at the wrong airport while flying an arc to intercept the localizer for the destination airport. The airport he landed at was below the arc and he thought that was it, even though the FO "supposedly" told him it wasn't the correct airport. Very senior pilot but was new on the Brasilia and hadn't been to the cities the Brasilia served. He then took back off without coordinating with dispatch and flew to the correct airport. That's what got him fired, plus the founders of the airline were real a-holes and despised pilots, actually all their employees. Isolated incident but it could happen when the mind takes over.

Even in that situation, if you're paying attention to the FMS you'd see you're still on the arc and haven't reached the runway at the end of the procedure. So aborting a procedure early to land somewhere else seems like an aberration.

Trying to armchair quarterback using an iPad app is ridiculous, especially if you've never flown in the area. Rapid City is NOT an easy airport to see, but the pilots had plenty of tools to prevent it.

When I flew my wife to Yellowstone a few years ago, we planned an RON at KRAP. She pointed out on the GPS enroute that "it SUX to go to KRAP." Everywhere that we stopped before there, we were warned to not land at the Air Force base. When we approached from the ESE, we spotted Ellsworth first, then KRAP. We didn't think it was hard to spot; I had about 200 hours, my wife had much less right seat time.

What makes KRAP hard to spot? The runway is >1-1/2 miles long, there is a large complex of buildings off to the side, there is little other development around it.

About this incident. Has Delta equipped their fleet with GPS yet? They used to fly using only VORs, even recently; my Instrument instructor was a former Delta pilot who knew many of the VOR frequencies from dialing them in so often. The subject came up when one asked for vectors to the airport from 10-12 nm out, and I made a comment. The reply was that they had much less instrumentation than I had in my plane (a G430W, a KX97A and two VOR heads for display). This was in 2009 . . .

When I flew my wife to Yellowstone a few years ago, we planned an RON at KRAP. She pointed out on the GPS enroute that "it SUX to go to KRAP." Everywhere that we stopped before there, we were warned to not land at the Air Force base. When we approached from the ESE, we spotted Ellsworth first, then KRAP. We didn't think it was hard to spot; I had about 200 hours, my wife had much less right seat time.

What makes KRAP hard to spot? The runway is >1-1/2 miles long, there is a large complex of buildings off to the side, there is little other development around it.

About this incident. Has Delta equipped their fleet with GPS yet? They used to fly using only VORs, even recently; my Instrument instructor was a former Delta pilot who knew many of the VOR frequencies from dialing them in so often. The subject came up when one asked for vectors to the airport from 10-12 nm out, and I made a comment. The reply was that they had much less instrumentation than I had in my plane (a G430W, a KX97A and two VOR heads for display). This was in 2009 . . .

I'm not a Bus expert, but even without a GPS they've probably had RNAV capability in the FMS. Without GPS enabled our FMS will auto tune VOR frequencies and use multiple DME ranges to compute position.

A few years ago a large cargo aircraft (a Boeing Dreamlifter, if I recall correctly) inbound at night for McConnell AFB near Wichita landed at Jabara instead. There again, KAAO's runway is aligned similarly and on the extended centerline of KIAB, but about 10 miles short. I recall a discussion at the time that because KAAO was not an airport that the airplane would ever be expected to use, it was not depicted on the crew's moving map display. In other words, other than the discrepancy in distance, there was nothing to alert the crew that there was a potential visual decoy out there.

Years ago there was a drag strip on the final approach to Palomar Airport in Carlsbad CA (KCRQ). It was even charted on the plan view of the approach plate to avoid confusion.

crq_dragstrip.jpg

Even in that situation, if you're paying attention to the FMS you'd see you're still on the arc and haven't reached the runway at the end of the procedure. So aborting a procedure early to land somewhere else seems like an aberration.

Brasilia didn't have FMS. :D
But I see what you're saying as this plane is FMS equipped.

From Kathryn's report.http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2016/07/delta-airlines-airbus-a320-200-n333nw.html

He said the most nerve wracking time was the brief flight from Ellsworth to Rapid City Regional.

“It's troubling when you have to trust the person that maybe got you into this situation in the first place,” said Rapid City resident Aaron Eisland. “It's not exactly comforting. … This is a decent size screw up.”

Cheers

Yes. Because if I was flying over Ellsworth hoping to see B-2's, and I saw B-1B's instead, I'd be disappointed.

CNN News reports:

"Ellsworth Tower, Bugsmasher 123 X-Ray."

"3 X-Ray, Ellsworth Tower"

"Ellsworth Tower 3 X-Ray will be making a low pass to look for B-2's"

on UHF "Sunshine Control, Ellsworth. Scramble two airborne, we have an intruder."

Cheers

The RNAV to 14 takes you right. over. ellsworth. The last time someone landed there (last year) it was on an RNAV approach in MVFR.

You'd think it would catch their attention when they touch down and aren't even at the FAF for the approach yet...

CNN News reports:

"Ellsworth Tower, Bugsmasher 123 X-Ray."

"3 X-Ray, Ellsworth Tower"

"Ellsworth Tower 3 X-Ray will be making a low pass to look for B-2's"

on UHF "Sunshine Control, Ellsworth. Scramble two airborne, we have an intruder."

Cheers

It's only a Delta. At 5801 I can do what I want!

Even if you go to Whiteman you will still be disappointed since they are all kept in hangars. lol

Yeah. But @LDJones was being flippant about the real world consequences of his misidentification. I wanted to let him know that words mean things, and that he could very well make another pilot sad. Where's my safe place.... =\

Back