Delta Hawk DHK180 for my Socata Tampico TB9, I just paid the deposit

I wonder if I could field approval a Rotax 916 in since the HP is within 10% of stock...
FYI: engine swaps are beyond a the limits of a field approval. It changed about 25 years ago.

You also wont be able to navigate the approval process without the assistance of a DAR and DER unless you want to wait 20 years to complete the project. And even though a One-Only STC cant be sold out right you can sell the data package or develop the data package so that it can role into a Standard STC.

Regardless, in my experience, best first step is to sit down with a local DAR, pay his hour rate, and go over your project plan. He or she should be able to give you a close idea of the specific process you need plus an estimated timeframe and cost. Then you can start to make calculated determinations vs guesses. While it may seem a daunting task its doable and engine swaps are still done on a semi-regular basis across the industry. If you got more questions, post them.

Do you have the power performance curve for the Delta Hawk? It would be interesting to compare that against the Lycoming’s curve to see if even with the max power limitation, the DH produces more power at altitude.
No, but I'll be asking for that next.
I'll also ask if I can post the data I am getting from them.
What I have so far is an eight page data sheet. I was specifically asking about size, weight, and CG so I could start seeing how it would fit & how it would effect the cg. That was when I saw the 5 minute limit at 180hp & 135hp continuous lines.

Yep, that’s the one I have a deposit on.

That thing makes 180 hp? Man, technology these days

Curious, I have been looking around. What os the price for the 180HP version?

Tim

2 stroke supercharged, turbocharged. I sure love the old Detroit 2 stroke line. The DD 8V92 TA's we had in one boat ran like scalded apes and sounded so good doing so.

Im pretty pumped on this engine, even though I could probably never afford one. It seems ideal compared to the lycosaurs that are less efficient.

Back