I have been ready for a check ride for months with all endorsements in place. The initial DPE appointment wait was two months, where weather or maintenance cancelations yield new appointments two or three weeks out. As of today the aircraft is down for maintenance (again) where I just learned after weeks of downtime, that another two week delay is anticipated given issues getting the necessary part. Clearly there are other schools in the local area where I spoke to two yesterday. But they indicated I would suffer from similar delays given a lack of DPE availability in the FSDO region if a weather cancelation occurs. Another option I have is to go to another region with the intent of finding better weather and better DPE availability. In fact I would only do this if I could get a commitment on aircraft and DPE with a backup appointment close in. When I started down the path I never knew that in the end trying to line up weather and maintenance with DPE availability would result in a four plus month wait to finish. It's very frustrating. I'm rather sure I'm not the first student to get stuck trying to finish. Any words of wisdom would be very helpful at this point.