Defective Flux Capacitor Causes Crash Landing

My fiance didn't get it at all (50 years old). As far as she knew, a flux capacitor was a real airplane part. She said she saw the movie at least once, but doesn't pay attention to things like that.

... According to the media

It would have been awesome is she had pranked him right back by reporting: "Haselden told us that he believes the issue was with a defective Flux Capacitator, which probably was a reference to a fictional device called a 'Flux Capacitor' featured in the movie, Back to the Future. Consequently, we can safely assume that Mr. Haselden has no idea what he is talking about."

Last edited:
Well, it harmed this poor woman's reputation
If only the media gave that same vigilance and respect to us. How many careers, reputations, companies, etc., have been destroyed by poorly covered and misreported, or blatantly false, stories. This was an innocent but necessary reminder that there is virtually no modicum of caution when it comes to the news media today

When did civility and kindness become such a rare commodity anyway...
I totally agree, but the media threw that away in 2016.. I hate to say "they started it" .. but they did. And the crazier it got the more traffic and views they got, and hence the more money. So it's a nice talking point.. but ultimately in the for profit media business it stays just that, a talking point. The media found that the more outlandish and crazy the headlines the more shares, retweets, etc., they got. The ball is in their court to restore civility.

These words were posted on a PILOTS' forum...

...seriously...

???

Now THAT'S funny!
Note that I didn't say, "and pilots' modesty"...actually, that was probably the first time in history that "pilot" and "modesty" was used in a sentence together!
And I'd add: it takes one to know one! LOL

Well then it's on Hazelton. I mean, would I have done it? Probably not. But I don't think the guy is a jerk or dick, at worst it's harmless fun... in the world of media gaffes it's much better than this

I wonder if any turkeys came.

She got trolled, big time. I'll bet she has a very red face around the station.

I think I told this story a while back, but I was living with this chick back in jersey and any time I fixed something in the house and she asked what the problem was, I always told her it was a bad flux capacitor. she had an issue with her stereo receiver that I fixed and when she asked I said 'looks like it had a bad flux capacitor'. she had 2 parrots and there was a broken cage part I fixed one time and of course when she asked, I said I had to fix the flux capacitor. she never knew what I was talking about and wasn't smart enough to say "hhmmm, I have a lot of things that all have bad flux capacitors in them, that's odd". luckily for me, she was smokin hot. and this is why I like jersey girls.

I think I told this story a while back, but I was living with this chick back in jersey and any time I fixed something in the house and she asked what the problem was, I always told her it was a bad flux capacitor. she had an issue with her stereo receiver that I fixed and when she asked I said 'looks like it had a bad flux capacitor'. she had 2 parrots and there was a broken cage part I fixed one time and of course when she asked, I said I had to fix the flux capacitor. she never knew what I was talking about and wasn't smart enough to say "hhmmm, I have a lot of things that all have bad flux capacitors in them, that's odd". luckily for me, she was smokin hot. and this is why I like jersey girls.

So was she a reporter?

Because what she heard sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher talking. So it didn't matter what you said, as long as the credit card was good.

Well, it harmed this poor woman's reputation and, perhaps, her career. I don't think that's a nice thing to do...

To use your phrase, Objection your honor, assumes facts not in evidence. :)

If you want to make a career based on your reputation for reporting, it should behoove you to report facts, and not conjecture.

Especially for a topic in which you probably have little to know knowledge about.

If you want to make a career based on your reputation for reporting, it should behoove you to report facts, and not conjecture.

She did report a fact. She reported that the person who worked at the airport said it was the flux capacitator.

She did report a fact. She reported that the person who worked at the airport said it was the flux capacitator.
Oh, you mean one of those ‘alternate facts’!

And you just demonstrated exactly what is wrong with news in the age of the internet.

Just because someone said something, doesn’t make it a FACT. It just means you reported what someone else told you.

This gets even better..... The pilot was 20 year old Jacob Haselden who was hospitalized for minor injuries then released. He told her a defective "flux capacitator" was responsible for the incident. Jacob Haselden, hats off to you sir, well done.

http://www.time.com/5381748/flux-capacitator-plane-crash-news/
This author is more careful:

"But unfortunately for Burcham, it seems he may have played a Back to the Future-inspired prank on her...."

Let's not jump to conclusions.

She reported what I consider the equivalent of hearsay information; that is, information that one can not substantiate. Also known as a rumor.

A fact, in this case, would information that is indisputably the case.

It is disputable that a flux capacitator would be a causal factor in a mishap.

In pilot context, she is speculating about the cause of the crash.

And then disclaims it by admitting the NTSB would not confirm or deny the information, basically reporting somebody said something and I couldn’t verify it, so I just sent it.

Hmmm, so if I read this correctly, she sought corroboration from the NTSB that the "flux capacitator" was the indeed the issue and the NTSB "would not confirm or deny".... I'm telling you, a lot of people had to keep a straight face to make this happen, I love it when people work together like this..... kudos.

Kudos. For all the times the media blew it....

Hmmm, so if I read this correctly, she sought corroboration from the NTSB that the "flux capacitator" was the indeed the issue and the NTSB "would not confirm or deny".... I'm telling you, a lot of people had to keep a straight face to make this happen, I love it when people work together like this..... kudos.
Well, the last time the NTSB corroborated something, it didn’t go so well....

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/16/feds-intern-who-confirmed-fake-asiana-pilots-names/

^suing for defamation because the names wer not vetted and verified by a summer intern? If their reputation was hurt from that crash it is because their pilots, with a trainer / instructor on board, were not able to land on a clear VFR day without ILS or the AP... not because a summer intern botched the names

Assuming more facts not in evidence. She may have simply asked the NTSB what caused the accident. She may also have talked to the NTSB first . . . . . All that we know is that she reported the cause of an accident prior to it being released by the investigators, and we are speculating that because the supposed accident plane is in view behind her being pushed away from the camera, that the investigation was hardly begun, much less wrapped up. So she reported what can only be called speculation without identifying it as such, and her position gives de facto "fact" status to information reported that way.

Well, it harmed this poor woman's reputation and, perhaps, her career. I don't think that's a nice thing to do.

When did civility and kindness become such a rare commodity anyway...

You really seem invested into the wellbeing of the bubble-blonde. She didn't do her job and put a single-source piece of information on the air without double checking it. I doubt it'll harm her career.

It will be just one of the clips they'll all laugh about at the station Christmas party. I doubt she's in any danger of losing her job. If she was there'd be very few reporters out there.

Back