deez knots

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
Post your favorites.

1/2" 2 ton galvanized anchor shackle from the aviation aisle of ace hardware = $10
beautiful bowline knot = priceless
IMG_0801.JPG

With a tie-down strap AND a tie-down rope there's no way that 140 is going to get blown into the weeds. ;)

CtYjy.jpg

Little too much anhedral me thinks...unless they wanted to simulate an F-4 tail.

The plane identifies as a low wing and is in the process of transitioning.
Never would I have thought to hear that in an aviation forum. LOL

But, I figured you had gone flying today in this wind storm. My mistake.

Post your favorites.

1/2" 2 ton galvanized anchor shackle from the aviation aisle of ace hardware = $10
beautiful bowline knot = priceless
View attachment 71972

Several years ago, I was flying around Texas a couple of times a week on SWA, and to pass the time I bought a knot tying book and a couple of 18” long pieces of 1/4" polyester yacht braid to pass the time. I had learned how to tie a bowline when I was a kid, but wanted to expand my knowledge of knots.

I'm used to people staring at me ( :p ), but for some reason, pulling out some line and tying knots attracted a lot of attention around me.

Huh. :D

I'm laughing so hard, my stomach.....it feels like it's...….hhhmmm, I can't think of the right words to describe it......

A string walks into a bar with a few friends and orders a beer. The bartender says, "I'm sorry, but we don't serve strings here."

The string goes back to his table. He ties himself in a loop and messes up the top of his hair. He walks back up to the bar and orders a beer.

The bartender squints at him and says, "Hey, aren't you a string?"

The string says, "Nope, I'm a frayed knot."

I too have seen an airplane (cub) which was well-tied down, however tailwinds were strong enough to break both spars on one wing, collapsing it downwards. Wind totaled but the airplane flew again.
(have always wondered, since then, about other a/c which may have been victims of such winds but had no outward signs of damage; could they have bent any important parts close enough to the yield strength such that failure was imminent?)

Home Depot sells 3/4" 2:1 heatshrink that works well on 1/2" rope.IMG_5296.jpg

You can see the damage that the tie down is doing to that rope already. There are cut filaments showing.

Brand new rope, too. I'm not worried, though- soon enough, the hole will fill back up with protective sand and dirt.

No worries, if you can pop a properly rated shackle thru there, then you wouldn't have to worry for a long time. I'm the one at work that typically finds the first broken wire on rigging, after getting stabbed or slashed by it.:confused:

If you want to it right, on that end you need a thimble and splice the line. Then use a shackle to attach to the tie down.

Finding a shackle that fit was harder than expected, but the third time was the charm, courtesy Amazon Fishworks and Metallurgy Concern. Also got to show the kid how to use the safety wire pliers.

Last edited:
George: Glad you found some that work. They'll help make that line last a lot longer. Less chance of abrasion on the eye, or the concrete and asphalt surrounding it.

Turns out, West Marine will splice eyes for a modest fee.
splice.jpg

Should have had them splice a thimble in the loop. Reduce the wear to the line.

Should have had them splice a thimble in the loop. Reduce the wear to the line.
Amazon Baby Milk Factory and Injection Molding Concern has some cheap plastic ones that might be small enough to pop in.

Amazon Baby Milk Factory and Injection Molding Concern has some cheap plastic ones that might be small enough to pop in.
If that doesn’t work, pulling the loop through the shackle would distribute the load on the line better.

Back