Dear auto manufacturers.....[rant]

I’m pretty sure new cars don’t have a separate buzz box like older stuff did. Pretty sure it’s integrated into a module somewhere buried behind the dash in most cases.

The way to defeat the belt chime is going to be through the switch that tells it the belt is buckled. There are dummy buckles available that will do it. The better option would be to find the wires and just solder/crimp/twist them together(assuming a normally open switch, if it’s normally closed you could just cut it. ). There’re not usually in an easy place to get at though.

Universal ship whistle signals.

3 short blasts is “backing down”, reverse.
1 prolonged blast is “a change of status”. A status is anchored. So you sound that when you drop anchor, and again as soon as the anchor is “aweigh”, or off the bottom.

There are others for low visibility.

You hear them on cruise ships too.

And inexplicably there is not one between short and prolonged! What happened to “long”?

While just being a smart arse, no doubt the three beeps likely had its origin from Naval tradition.

I graduated at the VERY TOP (of the bottom ten percent) at the Naval Academy and have significant time driving a ship (culpable result of going there, who knew?)…. Watch “Mr Roberts” for a snap shot of my life for a while!
Ensign Palmer, I presume?

Some people argue that technology is the biggest reason that electric cars haven't caught on. The batteries to power the electric cars aren't ready for prime time, etc.

Others argue that we're just too dependent on gasoline. And still others say it's evil automakers holding back the advancement of electric car technology.

All are fair points. But there's also another explanation:

Many electric cars are just butt-ugly.

Now give me one that looks like a '57 Chevy, or a '63 split window Corvette, or a '70 Plymouth Superbird and I will think differently.!!
Well, Dodge did give you peek at an EV Challenger.

107125023-1664286634635-gettyimages-1242565016-DET132.jpeg

If I ever meet the user interface engineer for our 2015 Honda Odyessy I might strangle him while saying "beep, beep, beep",

I have no idea what "beep, beep, beep" means apparently it can mean any of the following.

I won't start because the door is open. Not going to tell you which of the 7 doors it is.
I won't start because you pushed the start button twice.
I wont' start because it is gear, or maybe a door is open.
I won't start just because I don't want to.
something is on so the battery will be dead when you return, again not going to tell you what is on, or how to fix it.
a door is open,
a light is on, not going to tell you which one.
you are getting to close the white line (Lane departure warning) LDW
You are approaching an object to fast, (Forward Collision Warning) FCW

This weeks trick is it shows a message for Forward Collision Warning System Failure, It does actual have a display that could tell me what is wrong.
and the FCW, LDW, and Brake light are all one, Turns out it was Low on Brake Fluid, but it couldn't say "Brake Fluid Low" instead it make it sound like it needs to be taking to the shop and major work done on it.

Brian

If I ever meet the user interface engineer for our 2015 Honda Odyessy I might strangle him while saying "beep, beep, beep",

I have no idea what "beep, beep, beep" means apparently it can mean any of the following.

I won't start because the door is open. Not going to tell you which of the 7 doors it is.
I won't start because you pushed the start button twice.
I wont' start because it is gear, or maybe a door is open.
I won't start just because I don't want to.
something is on so the battery will be dead when you return, again not going to tell you what is on, or how to fix it.
a door is open,
a light is on, not going to tell you which one.
you are getting to close the white line (Lane departure warning) LDW
You are approaching an object to fast, (Forward Collision Warning) FCW

This weeks trick is it shows a message for Forward Collision Warning System Failure, It does actual have a display that could tell me what is wrong.
and the FCW, LDW, and Brake light are all one, Turns out it was Low on Brake Fluid, but it couldn't say "Brake Fluid Low" instead it make it sound like it needs to be taking to the shop and major work done on it.

Brian
Maybe it’s asking how to get out of second gear?

Some people argue that technology is the biggest reason that electric cars haven't caught on. The batteries to power the electric cars aren't ready for prime time, etc.

Others argue that we're just too dependent on gasoline. And still others say it's evil automakers holding back the advancement of electric car technology.

All are fair points. But there's also another explanation:

Many electric cars are just butt-ugly.

Now give me one that looks like a '57 Chevy, or a '63 split window Corvette, or a '70 Plymouth Superbird and I will think differently.!!
I have wet dreams over the '63 split window. But even less popular cars back then like the Nomad are aesthetically pleasing. Nice sharp corners.

Another one I forgot to mention... a few years ago when we still had a Subaru we had to take it in for a recall. While it was being repaired they gave us a newer loaner Outback that had the newest driver's assist stuff on it. Every time someone got in front of you it beeped. Imagine this- in city traffic. Every time a car changes lanes in front of you it beeps. Why is that even an audio alert- it's in FRONT OF ME.

Speaking of Outbacks- our old one had the ability to pair a phone via bluetooth. I once tried to do that from the passenger seat while my wife was driving. NOPE, safety nanny says you can only do that while pulled over. Really? I'm in the passenger seat here, not driving.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me HATE technology in cars. And I LIKE technology. I used to be a huge tech nerd. I paid a huge pile of money for this car, it should do what I want not what the gov regulators and company lawyers want. I wish someone would roll out an alternative OS or jailbreak type thing for cars but with everything being so proprietary and changing every couple years it doesn't seem feasible.

Also, Ford redid an F100 truck last year.
Ford-F-100-EV-Hood-Up-1.jpg

I actually like that, I even looked into building one before realizing I could put together 3 or 4 gas powered trucks for the same cost. Gas still beats electric hands down on cost. That and the range limitations/lack of charging stations(yeah I know in Cali and some other areas they're all over, not so much in the rural midwest).

Another one I forgot to mention... a few years ago when we still had a Subaru we had to take it in for a recall. While it was being repaired they gave us a newer loaner Outback that had the newest driver's assist stuff on it. Every time someone got in front of you it beeped. Imagine this- in city traffic. Every time a car changes lanes in front of you it beeps. Why is that even an audio alert- it's in FRONT OF ME.

Speaking of Outbacks- our old one had the ability to pair a phone via bluetooth. I once tried to do that from the passenger seat while my wife was driving. NOPE, safety nanny says you can only do that while pulled over. Really? I'm in the passenger seat here, not driving.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me HATE technology in cars. And I LIKE technology. I used to be a huge tech nerd. I paid a huge pile of money for this car, it should do what I want not what the gov regulators and company lawyers want. I wish someone would roll out an alternative OS or jailbreak type thing for cars but with everything being so proprietary and changing every couple years it doesn't seem feasible.

I too love tech! I just don't want my car company designing a phone or my phone company designing a car!

I too love tech! I just don't want my car company designing a phone or my phone company designing a car!
Some apps on my iphone say something like "Are you a passenger?". Of course a driver can always say "yes", but you have accept the human input instead of assuming they are lying.

Talk about distracted driving ,the more bells and whistles the more warnings to get your attention.

Talk about distracted driving ,the more bells and whistles the more warnings to get your attention.
And more screens at the expense of tactile buttons and knobs, requiring the driver to look down to make sure they are hitting the right thing and/or the display is on the correct page.

Some apps on my iphone say something like "Are you a passenger?". Of course a driver can always say "yes", but you have accept the human input instead of assuming they are lying.

My point was more to the increase of circuitry in cars and that I would prefer car companies to make... cars. Not computers.

Really don't want cars to start requiring fingerprints to sign in or do things without my input (like breaking).

So the questionable build quality, tough parts availability, and horrible UI of a Tesla coupled with the noise and fuel consumption of an 8 cylinder? Where do I sign up!!

Take out the power steering, add drum brakes front and rear and I am in.!!

We have an Outback, I went into the menu and turned off every sound that could be silenced, and minimized the volume on the ones that could not be silenced. MUCH better. And yes, that one that beeps everytime a car gets in front of you can be silenced.

Universal ship whistle signals.

3 short blasts is “backing down”, reverse.
1 prolonged blast is “a change of status”. A status is anchored. So you sound that when you drop anchor, and again as soon as the anchor is “aweigh”, or off the bottom.

There are others for low visibility.

You hear them on cruise ships too.

And inexplicably there is not one between short and prolonged! What happened to “long”?

While just being a smart arse, no doubt the three beeps likely had its origin from Naval tradition.

I graduated at the VERY TOP (of the bottom ten percent) at the Naval Academy and have significant time driving a ship (culpable result of going there, who knew?)…. Watch “Mr Roberts” for a snap shot of my life for a while!

Ensign Palmer, I presume?

Captain Queeg more likely...

don't worry.... AI will learn how to deal with your rants... you won't be allowed to drive anymore

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"
Go to the animal shelter. Find the dumbest, most dense mutt in the place. Take him home. You will now have a shaggy dependent infinitelty more intelligent than any iteration of AI.

I’m pretty sure new cars don’t have a separate buzz box like older stuff did. Pretty sure it’s integrated into a module somewhere buried behind the dash in most cases.

If you are talking about ABS, there has never been a "buzz box" or similar. What you are feeling is the ABS system pulsing the brakes.

Yes, the ABS system pulses the brake pressure to keep the wheels rolling. You are feeling the pulses of the brake pressure.

A rolling tire stops about 30% shorter distance than a sliding tire.
Maybe they should modernize to act like our 40- and 50-year-old anti skid systems on our jets.

If you are talking about ABS, there has never been a "buzz box" or similar. What you are feeling is the ABS system pulsing the brakes.

No I’m talking about the small modules used on some older cars to generate the warning buzz/bong sounds. These days I’m pretty sure it’s just soldered onto a module or output thorough a speaker.

I drive a 2014 F250, how do I disable the seat belt ringer? It drives my wife nuts when she rides with me, I hardly notice it anymore. Back in the day I would unplug the ringer and toss it in the glove compartment. Never figured out how to stop the seat belt ringer in it. TIA
Mine is a 2017, I can't say if the same settings would be available on a 2014, but probably. I disabled it (among other annoying things) by using ForScan (computer software) & a OBD Link MX+ (a bluetooth ODB dongle). Effectively you are just flipping the settings off in the truck's computers. There is a hell of a lot you can configure, as there are various needs for different behavior in fleet/law enforcement, etc.

Back