Daylight Time vs. Standard Time

I don't see a problem with it as it is. My dad (RIP) always wished we had DST all the time. My great aunt hated DST because "it's messing with God's clock."

But what really irks me is when people say "Standard" when they don't mean it. For instance, setting up a meeting, someone might say, "we'll meet at 3PM, Eastern Standard Time" when we're actually on EDT. I'm always tempted to show up an hour late for such things. I've been known to insist on a clarification "Standard or Daylight?" which generally yields confused grunts.
I try to remember to just say Eastern because I can never remember which we’re in at the moment.

I'd posit that the U.S. (population, demographics, work/life balance, working conditions, etc.) is a little different now than it was 50 years ago and would be worth another try. Exhibit A - not many people teleworked in the 70's.

Plus, our daughter goes to school at 6 AM during the fall every morning for band practice. It's dark no matter what we do with DST.

I'd posit that the U.S. (population, demographics, work/life balance, working conditions, etc.) is a little different now than it was 50 years ago and would be worth another try. Exhibit A - not many people teleworked in the 70's.

Plus, our daughter goes to school at 6 AM during the fall every morning for band practice. It's dark no matter what we do with DST.

I am hoping this was thought through a lot more than it was 50 years ago. Back then it was more of a knee jerk reaction to the oil prices of the time.

It's weird, because I do not remember that experiment at all.

Watergate and President Nixon was taking up most of the news at that time. I do remember the big question we were all asking each other:

''What did you do last night.??''

''I got up and went to school...''

Watergate and President Nixon was taking up most of the news at that time. I do remember the big question we were all asking each other:

''What did you do last night.??''

''I got up and went to school...''
I just think I would have noticed not doing the time change. Maybe I noticed and just forgot. :dunno:

I forget where I saw it, but the accident rate, fatalities and pretty much all bad things had no change. However, Bob Dole pushed to repeal the permanent DST to try and help Republicans have some sort of good feeling since Nixon was impeachment hearings, due to media. The media was ignoring the facts, and playing all sorts of feel bad stories about parents whose kids were hit by cars. What the media largely ignored, the kids would have been going to school in the dark, regardless of DST, it just made the parents feel better to blame congress.

Tim

Back