Daylight Time vs. Standard Time

DST all year for me. In Texas, in December, the sun sets at 5:22PM. This makes it almost impossible for me to do photo shoots after work on weekdays.

Sounds like a priority problem, not a clock problem. Why are you letting “work” get in the way of your true calling?

:D

You’re ignoring that whole “starving artist” concept....

;)
Yeah, but how many artists have $120K (182) & $25K (cameras) paint brushes to maintain?! :D Maybe I can start doing them from the ground, have them fly down the runway toward me!!

Nope, that is NOT "standard time." Standard time is the antithesis of solar noon, also known as local mean time. Countries adopted "Standard Time" (which is a common time for a large area) as railroads became a vital part of life. Standard time came about in Great Britain in 1847 for the railroads and 1855 for pretty much the rest of the country. In the US, railroads had their individual standard times until 1883 and the government mandated it in 1918.

But high noon just sounds so Gary Cooper.

I really don't see why everyone gets so bent out of shape about the time change. With the swings in sunrise and sunset here in Iowa, it works just fine to me. Even easier these days since new cars and cell phones change automatically. I hardly even notice the change, except for the clock on the stove.

DST all year for me. In Texas, in December, the sun sets at 5:22PM. This makes it almost impossible for me to do photo shoots after work on weekdays.
Where in Texas. That’s a fat State. There’s going to be some significant Sunset time changes based on how far East or West you are.

There’s going to be some significant Sunset time changes based on how far East or West you are.
Which is why, in this day of GPS, smart watches, cell phones, etc. that can track time and location is why we should go back to mean solar time. This whole time zone nonsense has long outlived its usefulness.

Which is why, in this day of GPS, smart watches, cell phones, etc. that can track time and location is why we should go back to mean solar time. This whole time zone nonsense has long outlived its usefulness.

How exactly would you arrange a meeting or call with someone in another state? "I'll call you when the sun is overhead Denver?"

Kids do it now where I am. Although it seems none of them ride the bus anymore, seems like the parents just drive them to school.

This is what I bring up every year this topic comes up. The kids are ALREADY going to school in the dark in the winter everywhere I've lived. I don't hear anyone complaining enough to change the school schedule in the winter now, so it must not be too bad.

My preference would be year round standard time, but I could live with DST.

but let’s don’t stop there. How about just 2 time zones for CONUS? In an age of jet travel, speed of light communications, and interstate commerce, do we really need 4 time zones? (Not my idea; read it somewhere else a few years ago. But I like it.)

I lived in Korea before they adopted their version of Daylight Time. It was weird getting home at 0330 and trying to get to sleep as the sun came up at 0430!

I hardly even notice the change, except for the clock on the stove.

I have to manually change 11 units: wristwatch, portable radio, alarm in bedroom, wife's clock radio, microwave, stove, wall clock in living room, wall clock in garage, my car, wife's car, and airplane.

All 25 time zones

not picking a nit, but observing a curiosity - there are not just 25 time zones in the world, it’s somewhere around 200. Countries adjust for local conditions and it’s a wild thing when you get into the details. For example, there’s 9 different zones in the US alone.

good explanation at https://24timezones.com/world-time-zones

How exactly would you arrange a meeting or call with someone in another state? "I'll call you when the sun is overhead Denver?"
How do you do it now? Some places observe daylight savings, some do not. Europe changes clocks on different days than the U.S. Half hour time zones, etc. It's already just a mess. Let your computer / phone sort it out.

How do you do it now? Some places observe daylight savings, some do not. Europe changes clocks on different days than the U.S. Half hour time zones, etc. It's already just a mess. Let your computer / phone sort it out.

Worldwide use of UTC is the answer. “U” stands for “universal,” after all.

For a while I set all clocks that I had to change to UTC. People freaked out when they came over and thought it was 4/5 hours later than the actual time.

not picking a nit, but observing a curiosity - there are not just 25 time zones in the world, it’s somewhere around 200. Countries adjust for local conditions and it’s a wild thing when you get into the details. For example, there’s 9 different zones in the US alone.

good explanation at https://24timezones.com/world-time-zones

I'm sure you just found that on a Google search, but the article makes (at least) one glaring, obvious error early on that makes me question the rest of the information.

Under the heading "Zero meridian: where the New Year is celebrated first"

There are several paragraphs talking about how zero meridian is where the day starts, and how Great Britain and other countries along the zero meridian get to celebrate the new year first. Um, no. There is even a picture of the 180 degree meridian (so, roughly where that all occurs) but the paragraph repeatedly mentions the UK and parts of western Africa.

not picking a nit, but observing a curiosity - there are not just 25 time zones in the world, it’s somewhere around 200. Countries adjust for local conditions and it’s a wild thing when you get into the details. For example, there’s 9 different zones in the US alone. good explanation at https://24timezones.com/world-time-zones
You are thinking 'political' time zones, I am referring to 'scientific' time zones. There are 24 hours in the day for a 360 degree globe. Each hour then equates to 15 degrees around the globe. The reason for 25 and not 24 is because the international date line splits one zone in half. They are also all numbered, A-Z. (J is skipped.) This is where we get the term 'ZULU Time', because the prime meridian is zone 'Z'. The quickest link to this that I found was at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_time_zones

We in Arizona prefer to stay on Mountain Standard Time. We don't need another hour of daylight on summer evenings.

Then again the reservations in AZ do observe daylight savings. When flying to a reservation they would ask what time will you arrive. I would just say I will be there in an hour... that worked out so much better.

At my house I run the clocks ahead 45 minutes so my wife will be on time...

And why does Alaska observe DST.??

I mean when I lived north of the Arctic Circle there was around 45 days in summer when we never got a sunset or sunrise...

And why does Alaska observe DST.??

I mean when I lived north of the Arctic Circle there was around 45 days in summer when we never got a sunset or sunrise...

I've often wondered that about places like Minnesota, except the opposite. Why would they change the clocks in the winter? In the winter, the sun rises after people and kids are at work/school and sets before the workers get off for the day, and if the kids aren't leaving right at 3 or 3:30, probably before they're done, too, so there's no benefit there. :confused:

My kids all went to school in the dark in the past couple decades in mid winter. The reality is in the northern half of the country, winter daylight is just too dam short to make everyone happy.
Besides, who gives a crap about kids? If we did we would never vote in politicians who continue to mortgage their future, or ignore science about environmental issues the kids will inherit, or national security issues....

Tim

My kids all went to school in the dark in the past couple decades in mid winter. The reality is in the northern half of the country, winter daylight is just too dam short to make everyone happy.
Besides, who gives a crap about kids? If we did we would never vote in politicians who continue to mortgage their future, or ignore science about environmental issues the kids will inherit, or national security issues....

Tim
Yeah, great example. Mortgages and loans of any kind are nothing less than stealing from our future selves and children. They should be outlawed in any civilized country. But, we don’t give a crap about our kids so we allow the robber barons to enslave us.

Last edited:

Tim

fire danger! fire danger!

I don't see a problem with it as it is. My dad (RIP) always wished we had DST all the time. My great aunt hated DST because "it's messing with God's clock."

But what really irks me is when people say "Standard" when they don't mean it. For instance, setting up a meeting, someone might say, "we'll meet at 3PM, Eastern Standard Time" when we're actually on EDT. I'm always tempted to show up an hour late for such things. I've been known to insist on a clarification "Standard or Daylight?" which generally yields confused grunts.

Back