Daughter wants to become a pilot!?

KRyan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
KRyan
I have a 12 yr old daughter. She would like to become a pilot.

I have a flying club where I work, so would be very affordable for her to get her PPL.

Some people have told her that she should join one of the Services and get them to teach her "for free." My guess is that most of the folks who walk into an Air Force recruiter want to be a pilot, not a cook, and her chances of getting put into a pilot program would be slim, but maybe I'm wrong.

If she did want to join one of the Services to be a pilot, would they take her a little more seriously if she walked into the recruiters with her PPL in hand?

Thanks for your advice.

If she did want to join one of the Services to be a pilot, would they take her a little more seriously if she walked into the recruiters with her PPL in hand?

Thanks for your advice.

I've never been a military aviator but I did have those discussions with the recruiters when I wanted to be a navy pilot.

Short answer is no.

I've never been a military aviator but I did have those discussions with the recruiters when I wanted to be a navy pilot.

Short answer is no.

But I think that if she soloed first, her chances of washing out of primary training might be less.

No one even achieves their dreams if they first decide that the odds are against them. Grades will help. Having a private first will help. Having a sport or two will help. It is competitive, not impossible.

No one even achieves their dreams if they first decide that the odds are against them. Grades will help. Having a private first will help. Having a sport or two will help. It is competitive, not impossible.

:yes:

Buy her an occasional lesson at your club and see how it goes from there.

I agree it would help practically, I'm just saying it won't help to get her in the door. Well that was a while ago, things might have changed I guess.

I'm trying to help a young coworker of mine get in the Navy or the Air Force. He wants to go in as a pilot, but will take an NFO, Nav/CSO, or drone slot if that's offered first.

It's looking like it is literally going to take years to actually get a slot.

The military is currently experiencing the biggest draw down since the end of WWI. They are kicking people out, I'm pretty sure they've slowed the training pipelines down to a trickle.

In general I discourage young people from going in to the military just to get free flying lessons. If you like the idea of being a military officer, and would like a chance to fly, then go for it.

Free flying lessons aren't a good enough reason.

Sure, the lessons are free, but the personal costs are huge in other ways. My observation was that the guys who joined just for 'free flying' were miserable a lot of the time as they waited for their 10 year commitment to time out.

Since your daughter is very young, I'd suggest she start with gliders. She can solo them sooner and glider experience is valuable for any pilot.

Congradulations on having a kid interested in flying. None of my three were the least bit interested. Heck, I was willing to send them to Riddle or UND on my dime if they'd wanted.

I probably traumatized them at a young age.

Edited to add: A letter of recommendation from a Congressman or General Officer would really speed up the process, as would a diploma from a military academy.

A PPL will help her qualify for pilot training. Part of the screening is an aeronautical knowledge test and a flight simulator based hand-eye coordination test. Prior flying will help a lot with those.

Last edited:

I have a flying club where I work, so would be very affordable for her to get her PPL.

Some people have told her that she should join one of the Services and get them to teach her "for free." My guess is that most of the folks who walk into an Air Force recruiter want to be a pilot, not a cook, and her chances of getting put into a pilot program would be slim, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for your advice.

Don't know the answer. Is there a young eagles or CAP by you?

Good for her!!

They're a lot pickier about who they accept than they were when I signed up during the VietNam war (fewer people wanted it, lots more pilots needed annually), but if she's got the qualifications (including really good college GPA) and the desire, I think her chances for selection are excellent.

Start with what Jim said above. To my knowledge, for selection, it's a small edge, mostly a balance-tipper between equally qualified candidates, although it will help on the aviation aptitude tests.

Thanks for your advice.
If she really wants to be a pilot, there's no reason in the world not to start her PP training at 15, solo at 16, and PP at 17 -- then see if that's still what she wants when she's close to college graduation. Alternatively, start looking now at what it would take to get her into one of the military academies, because the academy grads get first crack at the pilot training slots.

Last edited:
Doesn't she know that "girls" can't fly as well as men?

If I had a daughter that wanted to be a pilot, I would mortgage the house to allow that to come true.

Thanks for the advice. This isn’t some “flavor of the day” for her. I took her on a Young Eagles flight over a year ago, and she’s still talking about it.

I don’t know where the military thing came from, it may have come from an air show. Two years ago, I took three of my daughters to the Dayton Air show, and they had a “Women in Aviation” display there. They had quite a few older ladies that were WASP’s during the war. Some of these ladies had thousands and thousands of flight hours. I thought the girls would be really impressed that these ladies who were now their grandmothers age had flown all these fighters and bombers, but they didn’t seem very impressed. The also spoke to a current female AF B-1 pilot. They didn’t seem very impressed with that either, until we walked out the door and I pointed to a B-1 in the tarmac. “Wow – she flies that?!”

Ryan,

About an hour south of you, in Waynesvile, is a soaring club. You might want to bring her down there for at least a ride or two or three and see how she likes it. From there, you can both decide if maybe getting her glider ticket would be something she wants to do.

This is their webpage...

http://soar-ccsc.com/

When I was scoping it out, I spotted this nugget...

This year Youth Camp will run from July 6 to July 11. We are planning for about 15 youth campers. The initial planning meeting was a big success with key volunteer leadership positions being filled and clear direction established. Now the detailed work of preparing is under way. An immediate objective is to attract 15 youthful aviation enthusiasts. To aid in that activity Steve McManus has prepared an article describing Youth Camp. That article is posted on this website where it will be available to you to share with your children, grandchildren, neighbors and friends. Help the club select the right youth for this very special opportunity.

Ryan,

About an hour south of you, in Waynesvile, is a soaring club. You might want to bring her down there for at least a ride or two or three and see how she likes it. From there, you can both decide if maybe getting her glider ticket would be something she wants to do.

This is their webpage...

http://soar-ccsc.com/

When I was scoping it out, I spotted this nugget...

Gliding is a great way to start.

I've got 0.4 hours dual in a glider. I see how people get hooked on them. She can solo a glider at 14, so that's a great way for her to get into flying at an earlier age. Whatever you do, you don't want to discourage her. She's got the right attitude.

With all due respect to the United States Military, I would back off slightly at the officer training talk. At 12 years old, I would do what it takes to keep her interested. Powered flight, gliders, whatever, no pressure.

Sure beats thumbing away on some smart phone with her BFF's, and it increases your precious time with her.

Thanks for all your advice.

I'll look into the soaring camp, although when I broached the idea to her, she got a scared look in her eye. She knows a little about powered aircraft, but when I told her a glider didn't have an engine, she was a little put off.

Anyway, I told her if she wanted to do it, we'd pony up the cash. It's in July, so we've got time to look into it and think about it.

I told her, if she wanted to go, I didn't want a "gray" answer from her when she came home. I want "this was the best thing I've ever done" or "what the heck was I thinking!"

The cost isn't bad, and she can "live with aviation" for a week, and, depending on her attitude at the end, We'll have an answer, yea or nay, for a lot less then joining the flying club.

Frankly, I never even thought about gliding, but it's a good way to get her feet wet.

Again, thanks for your advice.

Thanks for all your advice.

I'll look into the soaring camp, although when I broached the idea to her, she got a scared look in her eye. She knows a little about powered aircraft, but when I told her a glider didn't have an engine, she was a little put off.

Anyway, I told her if she wanted to do it, we'd pony up the cash. It's in July, so we've got time to look into it and think about it.

I told her, if she wanted to go, I didn't want a "gray" answer from her when she came home. I want "this was the best thing I've ever done" or "what the heck was I thinking!"

The cost isn't bad, and she can "live with aviation" for a week, and, depending on her attitude at the end, We'll have an answer, yea or nay, for a lot less then joining the flying club.

Frankly, I never even thought about gliding, but it's a good way to get her feet wet.

Again, thanks for your advice.

If I had to make a bet, I'd say that she will love it when she finds out just how gliders "work."

Before you sign up for a camp, see if there is a glider club near you that would be happy to take her up for an intro flight for a donation?

I am guessing that there is, and given the interest she will pretty excited to learn how it all works.

The "no engine" scares everybody the first time.

Before you sign up for a camp, see if there is a glider club near you that would be happy to take her up for an intro flight for a donation?

I am guessing that there is, and given the interest she will pretty excited to learn how it all works.

Actually, the place I pointed out will do exactly that.

Andy:

Thanks again. I'll check it out. Thanks for your help.

But a glider does have an engine, it is solar powered!

Solar energy is responsibe for wind and thermals. Gliders ride on the result of solar effects. And if there is not enough solar energy we simply coast down hill to the runway.

Keep it simple.

One of my daughter's friends from High School got into a flight slot in the Navy via ROTC at Purdue. Sarah did not have a pilot's license or even any real flight training prior to heading off to college.

I suspect keeping her grades top notch in high school will do more than having a pilot's license.

One of my daughter's friends from High School got into a flight slot in the Navy via ROTC at Purdue. Sarah did not have a pilot's license or even any real flight training prior to heading off to college.

I suspect keeping her grades top notch in high school will do more than having a pilot's license.
I think a 12 year old interested in becoming a pilot would be better served given flying lessons(glider or airplane) first at an occasional rate, then being told keep your grades above the top for the next 6 years and there is a slight chance of flying in the military.
Gliders are of course the best way to start, but no reason a 12 year old can't take power lessons. Be a waste to do a lot of power lessons, given 4 years to solo age. One a month or so, see how it goes. If she continues to fly it is early education if she never flies again after some number of lessons it is a cool early life experience. If it motivates her to keep grades sky high for a military pilot slot also good. Win-win-win.

If she just wants to fly, yes.
If she wants to fly for the military, she'll need good grades.
If she wants to fly for a living, it's highly advisable.

If she just wants to fly, yes.
If she wants to fly for the military, she'll need good grades.
If she wants to fly for a living, it's highly advisable.
The military angle has been suggested by others not the OPs daughter. Future time orientation is great but we are talking about a 12 year old that wants to fly, not necessarily fighters, or rubber dog crap out of Hong Kong. Lighten up with the life planning people.

I'm thinking 12 is pretty young for a soaring camp. I'm guessing she's likely to be the youngest there by a couple of years (socially difficult at that age), and the FAA requires age 14 to solo a glider anyway. Maybe one ride in a sailplane for her birthday or something, with a promise of more in the future when she's older, but not the whole deal just yet.

Girls flying???? Next thing you know they will want to ride motorcycles, jump out of airplanes and be doctors.

Thanks for your advice.
Whatever you do, if, when your daughter gets older, she still wants to fly in the military... do NOT take her to see a recruiter. That's not the way military pilots are made (a few are... but 99.9% aren't). Service academy, ROTC, OTS or Guard and Reserve. That's where the virtually all military pilots come from. Each has its pros and cons, but none of them require talking to a recruiter. They require good grades, demonstrated leadership potential, and drive.

But, I agree with the posters up above... 12 is young for 'life planning.' Just keep her motivated in aviation and doing well in school. The rest will fall into place eventually.

At 12 years old, you don't need to worry about the military. Feed the interest, so much of satisfaction in life is from doing something you can be passionate about.

I agree. The important thing as a parent is to NEVER discourage your childs dreams. You can't go the other way and tell them that it will be easy either.

If she is encouraged to get her PPL, get good grades, do well in sports and focus on the goal of being a military pilot, even if she doesn't achieve the military pilot goal, she will have been better off for the whole effort.

My $0.02,

I never flew a single thing before I joined the Army even though I was always inerested in aviation. The only benefit having a license will have, as others have said, is it will make the aptitude tests slightly easier. No where on the applicaation does it ask if you have prior flight training. The Warrant Officer route may be slightly different, but as far as Officers are concerned its mostly GPA and an order of merit list.

My nephew joined the AF with the intent to fly. After several years, and several tours in the middle east in communications, he got the opportunity for flight school, and was turned down because he was too tall. (6'-7") A year or so passed, and the opportunity came up again, He slouched a little during the height measurement, and got in. By the time he went to flight school, he had been in for nearly 7 years, and achieved the rank of Capt. After graduation, they put him to flying C-17s. After a few years of that, they sent him to drone school in NV.
He joined up straight out of college, the ink was not dry on his diploma when he was enroute to basic.
His brother also joined straight out of college, and they made him a mechanic. He now is a mx instructor for the F-15, and still has no wings, but a good job.
Point is; if you want to learn to fly, don't expect to do it in the service. They'll put you where they want you, period.
Hook your daughter up with flying lessons. I would think that if ya'll play your cards right, at age 16, she could be PP, ASEL, MEL, IR. also with HP and Complex endorsements, as well as taildragger, then the following year could also add commercial. Then she can go to college, take the proper courses, and land a good job, which will allow her to enjoy what she's worked so hard to accomplish.

Thanks for your advice.

Going into the military to save money on flight training doesn't make good sense. If you want military flight training it should be because you want to do the military flight missions. Besides that, there is a lot of fun flying she can do between now and when she graduates college in a decade and can get into a military flight program.

My nephew joined the AF with the intent to fly. After several years, and several tours in the middle east in communications, he got the opportunity for flight school, and was turned down because he was too tall. (6'-7") A year or so passed, and the opportunity came up again, He slouched a little during the height measurement, and got in. By the time he went to flight school, he had been in for nearly 7 years, and achieved the rank of Capt. After graduation, they put him to flying C-17s. After a few years of that, they sent him to drone school in NV.
He joined up straight out of college, the ink was not dry on his diploma when he was enroute to basic.
His brother also joined straight out of college, and they made him a mechanic. He now is a mx instructor for the F-15, and still has no wings, but a good job.
Point is; if you want to learn to fly, don't expect to do it in the service. They'll put you where they want you, period.
Hook your daughter up with flying lessons. I would think that if ya'll play your cards right, at age 16, she could be PP, ASEL, MEL, IR. also with HP and Complex endorsements, as well as taildragger, then the following year could also add commercial. Then she can go to college, take the proper courses, and land a good job, which will allow her to enjoy what she's worked so hard to accomplish.

Yeah, that's a tough outcome for your nephew if his heart is set on flying. What I did different than him was that I only entertained the Guard or Reserves out of college. That way, I either interviewed for a pilot slot, or I walked away completely. It's a part time gig (that I turned into a full time gig) but I generally don't regret doing it that way. Had I joined the Active Duty after college, which would have been easier than getting a flight slot in the Reserves mind you, even if I had got my dream assignment out of UPT, I would have probably ended up alongside your nephew in Indian Springs NV ( due to TAMI 21 pilot shuffle of 2007).

Military likes to throw that 'service before self' stuff alot in order to appease people's discontent, but in reality it is ultimately a volunteer service and a business transaction. I've never viewed the discretion with which I've pursued the nature/manner of my military service as selfish; they would cut me in a second if they had the numbers to not need me anymore. I don't owe them any intrinsic loyalty. It's just business. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Back