Dangerous flights T.V. show.

Season 2 episode 2 is also on YouTube. Their website has links to the videos but it doesn't work. :(

It's because they are geolimited to Canadian IPs.

You can get around it with a Canadian VPN.

So you guys watched some of the episodes, did you guys pick up any airplane knowledge? what was it?

So you guys watched some of the episodes, did you guys pick up any airplane knowledge? what was it?

All planes want to kill you.
ATC is the enemy.
Planes are bombs waiting to go off.
Everything happens at the last minute
50% of ferry pilots quit half way through the journey.
Every plane in the sky is dangerously low on fuel
It is a miracle every time one lands safely.
Pilot and Co-pilot must fist bump several times throughout a flight to keep it going.

It is entertaining to watch but not a lot of in depth knowledge to gain from it. You will learn more from John and Martha but this show is good for turning your mind off at the end of the day and watching some cool shots of lots of different planes flying in HD.

I've learned that I've been flying all these years and all along there was all this drama happening and I don't know, I guess I was just too busy flying the airplane because I didn't even notice it. Next time I'll try to keep better awareness of how much drama and danger is happening. At least I'll never feel sleepy again :rolleyes:

Don't quite understand why you need two pilots to ferry things like Cessna's and Cirri.

Same way people get worked up over threads on this board. Because they can! Honestly, as a pilot, it's hard to see these shows on how they portray GA. Most people don't know squat except when they watch on TV. So they see this crap, and might get a bad view on GA as a whole, which doesn't do well for us when the NIMBY folks start trying to close airports and restrict flying because they see it as "dangerous" on TV.
Yep doesn't help much when a Banner Towing airplane lands between Interstate 20 and (on) Hwy 287 during rush hour in Arlington Texas. LOL
Most people will not pay attention to something unless it shows someone suffering, in pain, getting hurt or acting foolishly. Now imagine that these peoples outlook on life is based on what they watch.
Now you can probably understand why we have the current administration in the white house LOL

Don't quite understand why you need two pilots to ferry things like Cessna's and Cirri.

Well, they aren't flying them a few states over. Maybe they have a tight schedule or value the safety aspects. I read an article from a lady who ferry flew to build time for her ATP and she used a co-pilot for South America trips.

Last edited:
I watched all of the Repo shows too. Kevin Lacey is my favorite. IMO He has a love for flying that is infectious.

The Repo show is insulting to my intelligence. Using an automobile GPS in the air to get a jet from one mountain airport to another at night because some avionics were removed?

These guys may think they're Pappy Boyington, but in reality they're just idiots who think we are all stupid.

The Repo show is insulting to my intelligence. Using an automobile GPS in the air to get a jet from one mountain airport to another at night because some avionics were removed?

These guys may think they're Pappy Boyington, but in reality they're just idiots who think we are all stupid.

You can probably fool the non pilots. Coming from no flight experience I thought that was a little "shaky" My old Tom Tom freaks out when there are new roads put in. Imagine hundreds of feet in the air.

He also used a cellphone while flying to call ahead and turn the runway lights on. I have never tried it but that might be a little more believable.

You need to hang around the airport more, especially down around the T-hangars where the old guys sit around on lawn chairs all the time.

That seems to be harder and harder to do, with all the fencing and "security." My home airport is a Class D, so no idle walking around if you're a renter. I'm joining the local CAF Wing so I can get to know some of these old guys, as a fellow old guy.

That seems to be harder and harder to do, with all the fencing and "security." My home airport is a Class D, so no idle walking around if you're a renter. I'm joining the local CAF Wing so I can get to know some of these old guys, as a fellow old guy.

What does a Class D airport have to do with not walking around? Sure, you may need a gate key to get in, but once you're in there's nothing against hanging around and chatting that I know of.

I can only imagine things were better when you could just drive right up to the planes and hangars more easily, however.

I'm going to check it out over the weekend. Each episode is 1/2 hour.

Okay now, I tried watching it over lunch time.

I could stand about five minutes worth. Holy godsmack that's bad acting.

What does a Class D airport have to do with not walking around? Sure, you may need a gate key to get in, but once you're in there's nothing against hanging around and chatting that I know of.

I can only imagine things were better when you could just drive right up to the planes and hangars more easily, however.

That is true,

I live next to a grass field, (48x) It's summertime here in Florida with Temps 93 degrees and 90% humidity not many people outside. During this past spring I use to hang at the airport and didn't find anyone there. I need to go during different times.

Speaking of Dangerous flights, I miss Ariel Tweto:rofl:

god I love that girl!

Probably the only reality show I genuinely liked. It definitely had its shared of dramatic editing and narration and a little story developing, but it didn't create drama among the people, actually showed a nice family living their lives doing what they love. It also really got across the wonder of flight.

I watched it when I started to get the itch to fly again and get my license but I didn't have the ability and it really solidified my desire.

Of course, the irony being that those people who would make make this kind of television are those that don't want cameras in their faces, so the show didn't last as long as I would have liked.

You need to hang around the airport more, especially down around the T-hangars where the old guys sit around on lawn chairs all the time.

No apologies necessary. You don't learn nearly as fast if you don't ask questions.

Problem is a lot of airports have the TSA fence around it which to me says "Go away". We are trying to get a TSA approved viewing area for the general public.

Problem is a lot of airports have the TSA fence around it which to me says "Go away". We are trying to get a TSA approved viewing area for the general public.

Was it always like that pre 9/11?

Probably the only reality show I genuinely liked. It definitely had its shared of dramatic editing and narration and a little story developing, but it didn't create drama among the people, actually showed a nice family living their lives doing what they love. It also really got across the wonder of flight.

I watched it when I started to get the itch to fly again and get my license but I didn't have the ability and it really solidified my desire.

Of course, the irony being that those people who would make make this kind of television are those that don't want cameras in their faces, so the show didn't last as long as I would have liked.

Interesting,

I'm going to check out the show never seen it!

They live a simple life. IMO How awesome would it be to have a cabin in the wilderness and you can only fly to get there.

Watching the show if you are a pilot in Alaska

-You have to watch out for Bird Strikes-
-Icing-
-Mountain Flying-
-Fast Weather Changes-
-Extreme Cold-
-Cross Winds-
-Icy short runways-

If you can fly there you pretty much can fly anywhere.

I have to admit I like this show. It's fun watching these guys fly these planes. Just te adventure and the journey aspect of this show is fun.

The fake drama is insane. One episode, I think it's the second season episode 2 Kerry is flying a cirus. He is coming in to land and he's a little fast so he slips the plane in to loose altitude quick without having to drop the nose. The way the show depicteted it you would have thought he should have declared an emergency before doing the slip! The narrator was like" the pilots are coming in too fast. If Kerry can't stop the plane they face te possibility of overshooting the runway and going into the trees." It was hysterical to watch.

I love how they are always [dramatic announcer voice] "what is known in aviation as 'Fuel Critical'"

They live a simple life. IMO How awesome would it be to have a cabin in the wilderness and you can only fly to get there.

Watching the show if you are a pilot in Alaska

-You have to watch out for Bird Strikes-
-Icing-
-Mountain Flying-
-Fast Weather Changes-
-Extreme Cold-
-Cross Winds-
-Icy short runways-

If you can fly there you pretty much can fly anywhere.

I lived and flew in Alaska for 7 years. According to the shows I watched about flying in Alaska, I was either in extreme danger all the time or I was doing something not a single person besides me could do. I reality, sometimes I was so bored I was in danger of falling asleep while flying.

When I came back to the lower 48, it did take me several landings to get used to a long, paved runway. I still can't land like my competitors do, halfway down the runway. I guess that is how they learned to land.

You have to work pretty hard to live the simple life. I spent one summer in a remote cabin in northwest Alaska, up on the Noatak River. About 100 miles above the Arctic Circle. It was summer but I had to cut wood every day to stay warm. I took a lot of dry goods with me and I supplemented with salmon and berries and an occasional grouse. I didn't talk to or see another human for 100 days. The only neighbors I had were bears, and I learned quickly which ones to avoid and which ones would tolerate me in the area. First thing I did when I got back to Kotzebue was go the one of the 4 restaurants in town and eat chinese food. I lost 30 pounds that summer.

I lived and flew in Alaska for 7 years. According to the shows I watched about flying in Alaska, I was either in extreme danger all the time or I was doing something not a single person besides me could do. I reality, sometimes I was so bored I was in danger of falling asleep while flying.

When I came back to the lower 48, it did take me several landings to get used to a long, paved runway. I still can't land like my competitors do, halfway down the runway. I guess that is how they learned to land.

You have to work pretty hard to live the simple life. I spent one summer in a remote cabin in northwest Alaska, up on the Noatak River. About 100 miles above the Arctic Circle. It was summer but I had to cut wood every day to stay warm. I took a lot of dry goods with me and I supplemented with salmon and berries and an occasional grouse. I didn't talk to or see another human for 100 days. The only neighbors I had were bears, and I learned quickly which ones to avoid and which ones would tolerate me in the area. First thing I did when I got back to Kotzebue was go the one of the 4 restaurants in town and eat chinese food. I lost 30 pounds that summer.

Amazing story,

What was it like to be away from Civilization that long? So do you land shorter than the average person? That might be a better habit because of shorter runways, you will need to come across one sooner or later.

Probably "Terror" because the FA's were now prevented from grabbing a bunch of beers once they reached the gate and then using the slide for their getaway.

Oh I'd forgotten about that guy! Honestly thanks for the joke and reminder, I remember that and thought it was damned funny.

You have to work pretty hard to live the simple life.

So true. And you had me laughing all the way through your story.

There's a guy at work who wants to build a house out if shipping containers. He's got this idea that it'll be wonderful and his house will cost so much less than the average stick and brick house, etc.

While he's right in some ways, I asked him... "So how far are you moving out of town?"

He kinda stopped and thought and said, perhaps knowing it was a trap, "why do you ask?"

"It's going to be a serious pain to get that past a city zoning inspector or any of the other myriad of housing inspectors. Just the electrical will probably drive you nuts. But way out in the Styx, they'll probably just take your $250 application fee and wonder how much insulation it takes not to freeze to death in a metal box on a -10F night. To themselves. As they pocket the cash and head for the bar."

Heh.

Amazing story,

What was it like to be away from Civilization that long? So do you land shorter than the average person? That might be a better habit because of shorter runways, you will need to come across one sooner or later.

Since I enjoy my own company it wasn't bad.....:lol: Ok, all kidding aside I was in a low point of my life and just needed a break. Plus the challenge and the unknown of day to day life in the bush put a little excitement back in my life. Since I took basic food with me I only needed to get an occasional grouse or salmon to change up my diet. I spent some of the days making repairs on the cabin or cutting wood. I spent the majority of the time exploring the area. I met the local bear population and watched them go through their daily routine, and learned which ones didn't enjoy my company. It was harder to come back home than it was to go out, but I also knew it was time to get back into my life and move on.

I know how to land shorter because that is what you learn flying in the bush. Now as an airplane owner I let it roll instead of wearing out the brakes. Landing at short strips means you have to hit your touchdown point within 20 feet. Now when I go to some of these longer runways, I know where I will touch down and what taxi way I will exit on before I am even in the pattern. I watch other people float down the runway using up to 3000 feet before touch down and wonder who taught them to land like that? I put the wheels on the ground on the numbers. Every time. Softly. Not like we had just been shot down. So I guess I can say that one thing I learned with bush flying is how to make the plane touch down where I want it. And not scare the passengers.

Bush flying is not all that difficult. I certainly didn't know how until I went there. If I can do it then anyone can.

Since I enjoy my own company it wasn't bad.....:lol: Ok, all kidding aside I was in a low point of my life and just needed a break. Plus the challenge and the unknown of day to day life in the bush put a little excitement back in my life. Since I took basic food with me I only needed to get an occasional grouse or salmon to change up my diet. I spent some of the days making repairs on the cabin or cutting wood. I spent the majority of the time exploring the area. I met the local bear population and watched them go through their daily routine, and learned which ones didn't enjoy my company. It was harder to come back home than it was to go out, but I also knew it was time to get back into my life and move on.

I know how to land shorter because that is what you learn flying in the bush. Now as an airplane owner I let it roll instead of wearing out the brakes. Landing at short strips means you have to hit your touchdown point within 20 feet. Now when I go to some of these longer runways, I know where I will touch down and what taxi way I will exit on before I am even in the pattern. I watch other people float down the runway using up to 3000 feet before touch down and wonder who taught them to land like that? I put the wheels on the ground on the numbers. Every time. Softly. Not like we had just been shot down. So I guess I can say that one thing I learned with bush flying is how to make the plane touch down where I want it. And not scare the passengers.

Bush flying is not all that difficult. I certainly didn't know how until I went there. If I can do it then anyone can.

Serious question about that approach (because it's one I used to take): What happens if the engine coughs on short final?

It might be overkill to worry about things like that, but I always used to try to set down on the numbers. One day I realized I'd be in trouble if there was an issue on short final as my only option would be to land short (which, in a lot of cases, is not terrain conducive to landing). Since then, I've adjusted my approach to be slightly higher (but still wheels down within the touchdown zone). Just wondering what your thoughts are as maybe there's something else I haven't yet considered.

So the Alaska Pilot show is good, (Just finishing up).

Is there any Airplane shows that you folks watch on T.V. that you like other than the ones mentioned?

I'm interested in crashes only of people I didn't know. If you do this stuff long enough, you'll know someone. Loses its novelty quick after that.

Geez!

How could you guys be interested in watching other people die?

I am not interested in seeing anyone die. I have some morbid curiosity and I think that is natural. Mostly I like knowing what went wrong and what could have been done differently.

I personally have a bad habit of putting myself mentally in those situations and speculate as to what I would have done and how I would have reacted. Probably not healthy. Also those shows are done dramatically so they suck you in and I am easily drawn into things like that.

But, I would love it if nobody ever lost their lives in these things.

That being said, google: AOPA real pilot stories.
No fatalities but recordings, and information and play by play of accidents.
Then the best part is the pilot will explain what he did wrong, what he did right, and why he is alive today.

We can learn a lot from the dark side of aviation. might save our life one day. who knows?

Back