Dangerous flights T.V. show.

I am not interested in seeing anyone die. I have some morbid curiosity and I think that is natural. Mostly I like knowing what went wrong and what could have been done differently.

I personally have a bad habit of putting myself mentally in those situations and speculate as to what I would have done and how I would have reacted. Probably not healthy. Also those shows are done dramatically so they suck you in and I am easily drawn into things like that.

But, I would love it if nobody ever lost their lives in these things.

That being said, google: AOPA real pilot stories.
No fatalities but recordings, and information and play by play of accidents.
Then the best part is the pilot will explain what he did wrong, what he did right, and why he is alive today.

We can learn a lot from the dark side of aviation. might save our life one day. who knows?

Ahh....My mistake,

That is exactly how I am. It's healthy because you are learning and visualizing yourself in that situation. So if/when it happens you will be ready for it. Most people aren't, when you panic in a bad situation 99.9% of the time it doesn't end well.

I'm going to look into it, (AOPA stories) Thank you!

I'm interested in crashes only of people I didn't know. If you do this stuff long enough, you'll know someone. Loses its novelty quick after that.

I knew several pilots that perished in Alaska. Most due to weather, some due to mechanical failures. One was a roommate, one was my employer and I was scheduled to be on that flight but missed it. I wanted to know what went wrong everytime. Learning from other pilots mistakes may save my life sometime.

Ahh....My mistake,

That is exactly how I am. It's healthy because you are learning and visualizing yourself in that situation. So if/when it happens you will be ready for it. Most people aren't, when you panic in a bad situation 99.9% of the time it doesn't end well.

I'm going to look into it, (AOPA stories) Thank you!

Here ya go: http://www.aopa.org/Education/Real-Pilot-Stories.aspx

They are very well done.

Got it, thanks man!

I knew several pilots that perished in Alaska. Most due to weather, some due to mechanical failures. One was a roommate, one was my employer and I was scheduled to be on that flight but missed it. I wanted to know what went wrong every time. Learning from other pilots mistakes may save my life sometime.

(My beliefs about Billy writing a book has strengthened)

What kind of mechanical failures? Engine?

Yup. That is probably my biggest fear.
I am going to rewatch it now.

We have a fire extinguisher in the plane because of that video.

yup me too. We keep a couple of these in the seat pockets in our plane.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFO7KSQ?psc=1

Pretty impressive for the price - check out the demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLsCchy1u8g

That is pretty cool and lightweight. I'm thinking it always keep a emergency pack that has:

#1 Fire Extinguishers (2 or 3 of them).

#2 Life vests with one of those waterproof beacon lights.

#3 Life raft (4 person).

#4 Waterproof Flashlights (Preferably a scuba diving flashlight...those things are REALLY bright).

#5 First Aid Kit (With Bandages and antibacterial cream).

Would you guys bring anything else?

Yup. That is probably my biggest fear.
I am going to rewatch it now.

We have a fire extinguisher in the plane because of that video.

Funny thing is, I don't fear ditching in water even at night because I'm a pretty good swimmer. The water temps here are bearable.

It's having an flight fire that's the scary part.

A lot of times the fire doesn't get you but it's the smoke. If you are not breathing air you will be unconscious in no time.

That is pretty cool and lightweight. I'm thinking it always keep a emergency pack that has:

#1 Fire Extinguishers (2 or 3 of them).

#2 Life vests with one of those waterproof beacon lights.

#3 Life raft (4 person).

#4 Waterproof Flashlights (Preferably a scuba diving flashlight...those things are REALLY bright).

#5 First Aid Kit (With Bandages and antibacterial cream).

Would you guys bring anything else?

If you are going to carry a life vest, WEAR it or you might as well leave it at home. No way you're hauling stuff out of cargo in the water.

Hypothermia is less of a risk in Florida than anywhere on the west coast, but you can still die from it there.

CAP keeps a list of emergency equipment. Basically, first aid, shelter, signalling devices, appropriate clothing for overflown terrain, Leatherman, method to make fire, water or purification, etc.

You're neglecting the possibility of going down over remote land, such as the Everglades. You may be there for a while, even with a PLB.

If you are going to carry a life vest, WEAR it or you might as well leave it at home. No way you're hauling stuff out of cargo in the water.

Hypothermia is less of a risk in Florida than anywhere on the west coast, but you can still die from it there.

CAP keeps a list of emergency equipment. Basically, first aid, shelter, signalling devices, appropriate clothing for overflown terrain, Leatherman, method to make fire, water or purification, etc.

You're neglecting the possibility of going down over remote land, such as the Everglades. You may be there for a while, even with a PLB.

In the "Glades" there is a lot of wide open areas to land an airplane. I would probably need a gun, (Unfortunately).

I would keep the life vests under the seats. Too hot down here to have them on during flight but I will make it easy to access just in case. I will also tell my passengers where they are located.

I can't link it, but there was an article where a bush pilot was saying you wear your survival kit on you in case of a crash. Otherwise, a quick exit from a burning plane, ditching, or being thrown out and busted up, a kit in the cargo hold won't help you.

She had a light weight survival gear looking thing she wore on her body everywhere she was flying.

I can't link it, but there was an article where a bush pilot was saying you wear your survival kit on you in case of a crash. Otherwise, a quick exit from a burning plane, ditching, or being thrown out and busted up, a kit in the cargo hold won't help you.

She had a light weight survival gear looking thing she wore on her body everywhere she was flying.

As a former bush pilot, I did keep a few things in my flight vest. Things like bug juice and fire starter and fire making material, flashlight in winter, reflecting steel in summer. A small first aid kit and bug juice. The company I flew for had a 90 pound survival kit with all the items required by Alaska state law. We kept the survival bag in the rear of the airplane. If it was in a nose compartment it might be destroyed or unable to retrieve due to crash damage. A floatation device would be useless since in summer the water is between 32 and 48 degrees.

In Alaska, if you want to keep a pistol with you that is fine. Just be sure to remove the front sight and keep the gun well covered in Vasaline.
Because after you shoot the bear, he will shove it where the sun don't shine, and with the sight gone and plenty of Vasaline it will be easier to remove.:lol::lol:

I would like to reiterate what I meant by having a gun.

It's not ONLY for the animals. The bears here in the Glades are half the size of the giants in Alaska, (If not 1/4). There are people that live in the Glades illegally, (Just like in Ocala National forest) and some of them are very criminal minded. So without going too far off subject it's good to have it just in case. In no way am I a gun nut, but I will have it to protect myself ONLY.

As a former bush pilot, I did keep a few things in my flight vest. Things like bug juice and fire starter and fire making material, flashlight in winter, reflecting steel in summer. A small first aid kit and bug juice. The company I flew for had a 90 pound survival kit with all the items required by Alaska state law. We kept the survival bag in the rear of the airplane. If it was in a nose compartment it might be destroyed or unable to retrieve due to crash damage. A floatation device would be useless since in summer the water is between 32 and 48 degrees.

In Alaska, if you want to keep a pistol with you that is fine. Just be sure to remove the front sight and keep the gun well covered in Vasaline.
Because after you shoot the bear, he will shove it where the sun don't shine, and with the sight gone and plenty of Vasaline it will be easier to remove.:lol::lol:

A 12 foot Grizzly running toward you would be difficult to hit, The bear spray would be the way to go, (Either way you would just make him mad).

In the "Glades" there is a lot of wide open areas to land an airplane. I would probably need a gun, (Unfortunately).

I would keep the life vests under the seats. Too hot down here to have them on during flight but I will make it easy to access just in case. I will also tell my passengers where they are located.

I think you should consider what it would take even to just grab hold of a loose life vest with your engine out over water doing something you've never done before. Putting it on in a cramped airplane under that circumstance ain't happening.

Not all life vests are uncomfortable. The type 3 inflatables aren't bad -- unless you inflate them inside the airplane. Some boaters even sleep in them.

A 12 foot Grizzly running toward you would be difficult to hit, The bear spray would be the way to go, (Either way you would just make him mad).

You are right, but I am not going to carry bear spray inside an aircraft unless it has wing lockers.

That reminded me on how to tell the difference between wolf scat and bear scat.
wolf scat has hair in it while bear scat has bear bells in it and smells like pepper spray... :rolleyes2:the things we tell chechakos.... (green horns)

Ruger Super Blackhawk.

Take down a T-rex. :yesnod:

wolf scat has hair in it while bear scat has bear bells in it and smells like pepper spray... :rolleyes2:the things we tell chechakos.... (green horns)

Meanwhile in Canada:
bear-warning-sign.jpg

Back