Daily Pic

Wow great pic! And on a "fogless" day at SF! :lol:

We seem to have a break for a week or so. But they say the el nino is still strong. With a 77 unit project trying to finish window installs and starting lath it's a wecome break! :goofy:

Hollyweird! Never seen tips turned down. Explain? :confused:

Some Velocitys are down and some up. Never heard any benefit from one over the other. Actually prefer the look of up tips.

Yesterday...
i-cVbKPG8-XL.jpg

With all this warm weather, no chance of the ice runway opening anytime soon.
Check out all the open water on Winnipesaukee.
i-rm6ckVH-XL.jpg

i-QfXGHLr-XL.jpg

Yak popped into 7B3 today. Neat looking plane. After I snapped this, a couple more planes showed up. Not enough plowed space to park them all. Then the helicopter showed up...
i-Pp6czHz-XL.jpg

PSA: don't text and taxi. Side note: interesting to see how the forward parachute straps connect to the airframe.

99cfd4fb89fd7f3fe4f7bac61b2ddd90.jpg

Visited shop today were my plane is getting painted. They've started stripping.

Yesterday...
i-cVbKPG8-XL.jpg

With all this warm weather, no chance of the ice runway opening anytime soon.
Check out all the open water on Winnipesaukee.
i-rm6ckVH-XL.jpg

i-QfXGHLr-XL.jpg

Yak popped into 7B3 today. Neat looking plane. After I snapped this, a couple more planes showed up. Not enough plowed space to park them all. Then the helicopter showed up...
i-Pp6czHz-XL.jpg

Been years since I've stopped by 7B3, need to correct that on my next trip east. I need to get some J-3 time, last I checked the same ones were there that I flew in 1982.

Been years since I've stopped by 7B3, need to correct that on my next trip east. I need to get some J-3 time, last I checked the same ones were there that I flew in 1982.

Yup. They still instruct in the J-4 (actually a L-4). The Champ and the yellow J-3 are for sale. The L-4 has the cool windows all over. Great visibility. Tell Bob or Bill you wanna go up in the tan Cub. :D

i-B9mh7pP-X3.jpg

PSA: don't text and taxi. Side note: interesting to see how the forward parachute straps connect to the airframe.

99cfd4fb89fd7f3fe4f7bac61b2ddd90.jpg

Taxiing in after my 2nd night flight I misjudged and turned down the wrong lane on the apron. With a little jockeying I was able to get through a gap and back to where I needed to be, but for a bit it looked like I was stuck between a light pole and a parked plane. My CFI gave me a classic piece of advice: "If you have a choice between hitting a light pole and hitting a plane, choose the light pole. It's much cheaper!"

John

My CFI gave me a classic piece of advice: "If you have a choice between hitting a light pole and hitting a plane, choose the light pole. It's much cheaper!"

Cheaper yet (and better advice): Shut down, get out, push back, and try again. It's a lot cheaper not to hit anything!

From my flight from the Atlanta area to Page, AZ last October...

Grand Canyon from 10,500ft:

P1_zps7xydvtkz.jpg

Marble Canyon:

p4_zpseuxbznga.jpg

Mountain rotor on the way to Sedona, amazing to watch it spin around the peak:

p2_zpsnusrnbpx.jpg

Our flight of three parked at Monument Valley:

p3_zps3i4bphdk.jpg

How in the world did 3 CTSWs make it to AZ with those dangerous fuel tanks?:rofl:

How in the world did 3 CTSWs make it to AZ with those dangerous fuel tanks?:rofl:

Veeeery carefully! :D

Actually, the CT makes a pretty good traveling airplane, especially solo. We averaged about 110kt (my buddy's CT has the larger wheels and tires so I had to slow down a bit for him), and our longest legs were a hair over four hours. We never landed with less than ten gallons (2hrs) of fuel, even after 4+ hours of flying.

We did get badly screwed by weather coming home. Should have been a two day trip, it took seven because of weather delays! We got stuck under Hurricane Patricia in Texas. Here's our MVFR arrival in Victoria, TX just as the weather gave out. The rain started as we cleared the runway and then didn't stop for three days...

Lol! Hula girl. I like it.

So this happened on the way to Dulles in a 172...Had to make an unscheduled fuel stop at MTN.

slow_zps5swjbkn0.jpg

Holy crap, when was that? What altitude? I've been trying to keep an eye out on winds to get a nice GS speed run and didn't see winds anywhere near that high.

Holy crap, when was that? What altitude? I've been trying to keep an eye out on winds to get a nice GS speed run and didn't see winds anywhere near that high.
Yesterday (Tuesday) about 9am at 6000. Smooth as glass up there though. We were seeing GS from 35-60. Never got above 60kts so we had to make a fuel stop.

Yesterday (Tuesday) about 9am at 6000. Smooth as glass up there though. We were seeing GS from 35-60. Never got above 60kts so we had to make a fuel stop.

I'm on a mission to get a 200kt+ GS in my Diamond, hopefully the wind up there will be good over the next few days.

Highest I've had my Cherokee 180 was 150 knots GS on my way to North Carolina. I was so happy to see that. Course..on the way back that GS was about 90, for 4..long..hours...ugh..

no volcanic ash, so, I'm going flying!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1416.PNG
    IMG_1416.PNG
    72 KB · Views: 368
I love that Lake Erie photo! I'm partial to that lake, as I grew up just five minutes from there.

We flew our first Pilot N Paws mission on Monday (2/22/2016). :) Four cats needed a transport from New York City via Niagara Falls, NY to Flint, MI. After work we started in Detroit and flew IFR to Niagara Falls to meet with the pilot who flew the cats from NYC. It was a smooth flight and all cats were delivered safely in Flint.

During the flight to and from Niagara Falls we had the opportunity to take same pictures:

Lake St Clair
Clouds_2_small.jpg

Over the clouds... :D
Clouds__small.jpg

After taking off at KIAG - Niagara Falls:
NiagaraFalls_1.jpg

American Falls and Niagara Falls, Ontario:
NiagaraFalls_3.jpg

Last edited:
We flew our first Pilot N Paws mission on Monday (2/22/2016). :) Four cats needed a transport from New York City via Niagara Falls, NY to Flint, MI. After work we started in Detroit and flew IFR to Niagara Falls to meet with the pilot who flew the cats from NYC. It was a smooth flight and all cats were delivered safely in Flint.

Congrats on your first PnP flight! Still waiting for a good opportunity here, I'm a little nervous about using a rental plane for flying animals. Don't want to mess up anyone else's flying time if the dog/cat can't hold it and/or gets sick.

Back