Daily Pic

51518082075_6ec30e2b48_c.jpg

51517529294_d947337992_c.jpg

A phenomenon I’ve never heard of: dark sky in the shadow of a vapor trail.

The photos were taken while my plane was within the shadow of a vapor trail, and my camera was pointed along the direction of the shadow. The sunlight is coming down at a 45 degree angle from the vertical in this photo, top left toward bottom right.

You can see the shadow of the vapor trail on the ground, as a dark stripe. Like the shadow of a long skinny cloud. Not surprising.

What is surprising is that you can also see the shadow in the atmosphere itself. It’s a dark stripe in the air. It almost looks like smoke in the air, but it’s not.

physics explanation:
The blue-sky effect, which arises from Rayleigh scattering on the air, is diminished in the shadow of the vapor trail, so that the blue sky is darker within that shadow. It must be a weak effect because I could only see the dark stripe in the air while I was not only in the shadow itself, but also looking down the very long length of the shadow. I could not see it when looking across the narrow width of the shadow.

photographed today, near Elwood NE.

40B0A454-8C20-4C09-B898-31D698DD6496.jpeg
D487CE60-2946-4ABC-B65A-A0F86CC0913F.jpeg

A phenomenon I’ve never heard of: dark sky in the shadow of a vapor trail.

The photos were taken while my plane was within the shadow of a vapor trail, and my camera was pointed along the direction of the shadow. The sunlight is coming down at a 45 degree angle from the vertical in this photo, top left toward bottom right.

You can see the shadow of the vapor trail on the ground, as a dark stripe. Like the shadow of a long skinny cloud. Not surprising.

What is surprising is that you can also see the shadow in the atmosphere itself. It’s a dark stripe in the air. It almost looks like smoke in the air, but it’s not.

physics explanation:
The blue-sky effect, which arises from Rayleigh scattering on the air, is diminished in the shadow of the vapor trail, so that the blue sky is darker within that shadow. It must be a weak effect because I could only see the dark stripe in the air while I was not only in the shadow itself, but also looking down the very long length of the shadow. I could not see it when looking across the narrow width of the shadow.

photographed today, near Elwood NE.

View attachment 100417
View attachment 100418
I saw one of those yesterday coming home.

Well I don’t have a pic. How bout a screen pic.

10c0a4d8894dde84a499ffd12f86cee6.jpg

Another flight around town ‘just because’. I don’t normally do that but sheeeeyit it’s been fun.

No pics either, but had the first chance to hand fly some approaches with the new GI275's. Holy cow is there a lot of information crammed into those little screens! It was a very bumpy day with some nice crosswinds on the approaches, good practice!

Capture.JPG

No pics either, but had the first chance to hand fly some approaches with the new GI275's. Holy cow is there a lot of information crammed into those little screens! It was a very bumpy day with some nice crosswinds on the approaches, good practice!

View attachment 100449
Nice seeing you yesterday man!

View attachment 100449

how 'bout doing a video on the 275's? you know, go over the features and an approach or something like that........

Some highlights from this week’s flying!

DFE4A466-C80D-4F00-AAAC-B1B2347CD586.jpeg

Somewhere in North Florida winging my way South.

5B6C445E-9ADA-45E0-8A15-17CADD1AF6EF.jpeg A09A3B9F-F912-4442-B40F-8A9A42A7429B.jpeg

Sunset on the West Coast of Florida.

1A78EF84-49A5-4033-AA14-F5E0ECEB3B85.jpeg

Sunrise over the Carribbean.

77FA82D4-8DA0-4875-8955-B1D94226A574.jpeg CFB0BCCE-8EF4-4F02-9CEB-0CD0465B71B2.jpeg

The east coast of Cuba on my wingtip.

Abram Finkelstein
N685AS

Last edited:
Slumming it in the archer while my bird is in the shop. Stopped at Rochelle (RPJ) for lunch. Highly recommended.

There was a really pretty old cessna on the ramp. I'm generally not a fan of the high wing/ tricycle look, but between the paint and the fastback this one really caught my eye.

I think the Shorts lives there, I assume it's a contract box carrier. We also went to Rockford to look at a semi tractor. Always fun to see the 747's operating there. Should've taken a picture but I was busy getting lost. I still think he told me to turn right.
20211005_113731.jpg

Slumming it in the archer while my bird is in the shop. Stopped at Rochelle (RPJ) for lunch. Highly recommended.

There was a really pretty old cessna on the ramp. I'm generally not a fan of the high wing/ tricycle look, but between the paint and the fastback this one really caught my eye.

I think the Shorts lives there, I assume it's a contract box carrier. We also went to Rockford to look at a semi tractor. Always fun to see the 747's operating there. Should've taken a picture but I was busy getting lost. I still think he told me to turn right.
View attachment 100686
They also have 6 skyvans at DeKalb but that isn't one of them.

They also have 6 skyvans at DeKalb but that isn't one of them.
One at Danville that I know is a UPS contractor. Danville was below mins. a couple weeks ago, so they landed at Champaign. About 45 min. later a UPS truck and a couple Ryder trucks showed up and they tossed the boxes into the trucks. And I mean TOSSED. Threw them from the back door of the plane as far as they could to the pavement. It explained a lot about why my UPS boxes look they way they do when they show up.

My UPS lady showed up late in the afternoon complaining they got her truck loaded late, so one of them probably was mine.

Looks too close for missiles. Did you switch to guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I threw my fuel hawk at him but he dodged me (2nd picture)
Now I don't know how much fuel I have.

btw.. when we going up again?

Last edited:
I threw my fuel hawk at him but he dodged me (2nd picture)
Now I don't know how much fuel I have.

btw.. when we going up again?

Whenever you want! Just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back