Currency requirements

1000RR, the 'true risk' portion doesn't necessarily change things all that much in terms of sim effectiveness, but the ATC part certainly can. That's why services exist which ATC into simulators....the challenge is getting schools (and students) to recognize the value. We've been at it for over a decade and most flight schools still go with the "meh, we'll just have the guy in the back do it..." approach. Not...the...same.
I've heard the same... good points

while currency is important, and must legally be maintained, competency is a much more important goal. at the end of a flight to keep currency you must ask your shelf," yes im legal, but am i really competent?" be truthful, if the answer is no, then you really need to fly more. actual is unforgiving and can be deadly if not respected.

I am a new (5/2022) instrument pilot. I know every 6mos. I need 6 approaches, some holds, some intercepts, with foggles and safety pilot or actual IMC. Do these approaches have to be a landing or would a low approach/go missed qualify? Also, since I usually file IFR, fly in VMC and ATC puts me in for Visual landing, does this trip count towards Currency requirements?

you don't have to land, but you need to shoot it down to the published mins. Even circling mins on an ILS will count.

you don't have to land, but you need to shoot it down to the published mins. Even circling mins on an ILS will count.
You only have to go to published mins if you are using a hood. If flying in actual the approach will count for currency if you are in IMC inside the FAF, even if you break out 50 feet below the FAF.

You only have to go to published mins if you are using a hood or a simulator/device If flying in actual the approach will count for currency if you are in IMC inside the FAF, even if you break out 50 feet below the FAF.
FIFY.

You only have to go to published mins if you are using a hood. If flying in actual the approach will count for currency if you are in IMC inside the FAF, even if you break out 50 feet below the FAF.

Not quite 100% correct. If it's in actual IMC, you still need to fly the procedure down to the published mins, you just don't need to be in IMC the whole way. This prevents you from breaking out 50 ft below the FAF and then breaking off the approach and going missed.

Not quite 100% correct. If it's in actual IMC, you still need to fly the procedure down to the published mins, you just don't need to be in IMC the whole way. This prevents you from breaking out 50 ft below the FAF and then breaking off the approach and going missed.

Not quite 100% correct. :D

You need to fly the procedure down to published mins unless there is an operational or safety reason not to. Most common one I've seen is an ATC instruction to break it off early.

Back