Currency Question

jordane93

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jordan
I haven't flown IFR and logged the appropriate approaches, holds, tracking procedures, etc in about a year and a half. I know the regs say I will need an IPC before acting as PIC and operate in actual conditions or conditions less than VFR, but lets say the weather is CAVU for the entire flight and I will not be in an clouds for the entire way. Can I legally file IFR and do the flight without doing the IPC?

I haven't flown IFR and logged the appropriate approaches, holds, tracking procedures, etc in about a year and a half. I know the regs say I will need an IPC before acting as PIC and operate in actual conditions or conditions less than VFR, but lets say the weather is CAVU for the entire flight and I will not be in an clouds for the entire way. Can I legally file IFR and do the flight without doing the IPC?

No

FAR 61.57 (c) - Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person may act as pilot in command under IFR or weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR only if....

Last edited:

61.57:
(c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person may act as pilot in command under IFR or weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR only if: ...

Note the key word "or".

Last edited:
What Gucci Pilot quoted 61.57?

He edited his post, but my point is that as a CFI you need to be able to did these things up, as students will be asking you these questions. Use it as a learning opportunity.

Back