Currency question double check?

Thanks, I think I got it now. I was only looking at 65.57 (acting), but after reading 65.51 (logging) I see were I was wrong.

Just to make sure I have it, the current pilot is acting pilot in command, but can't log it and the noncurrent pilot on the controls is the sole manipulator so he can log PIC, but isn't able to act as the PIC. If that isn't confusing.
Not so confusing, as long as you remember that acting PIC and logging PIC are two completely different things, with different criteria of eligibility. As someone else said, it's an FAA-created homonym.

Thanks, I think I got it now. I was only looking at 65.57 (acting), but after reading 65.51 (logging) I see were I was wrong.

Just to make sure I have it, the current pilot is acting pilot in command, but can't log it and the noncurrent pilot on the controls is the sole manipulator so he can log PIC, but isn't able to act as the PIC. If that isn't confusing.
It helps if you just leave "PIC" off all together.

There is a set of rules for being the actinator, and there is a set for logerizing - and those are two separate things that sometimes you do at the same time. :goofy:

These questions would be so much easier if logbooks said "flying time" instead of "PIC", and the person legally responsible was the "aircraft commander."

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I'm PIC, current and experienced flying from the right seat. My buddy in the left seat isn't current. He flies with me, does three takeoffs and landing. Voila, he's current, right??

Discount Double Check? :confused:

...sorry I had the Packers on my mind... :rofl:

Thanks everybody for the reading and re-reading the FARs on this one, much appreciated.

Seems like the general consensus is also what we also determined, that logging and acting were different, which is what allowed a non-current (yet rated with current medical) pilot fly with somebody beside him - because that somebody was an acting PIC. Three landings later, that pilot became current, and was legal to be acting (and logging) PIC, had we agreed on it.

More importantly, though, I'm also comfortable flying from the right seat. Though legal, I don't recommend taking non-current friends out to do touch and gos from the left seat until you've got a bunch of right-seat landings under your belt.

Seems like the general consensus is also what we also determined, that logging and acting were different, which is what allowed a non-current (yet rated with current medical) pilot fly with somebody beside him - because that somebody was an acting PIC.
You don't need the medical for logging and meeting the "3 takeoff / landing" part of the currency.

You could log on Monday, get your medical on Tuesday and be good to carry passengers Tuesday afternoon. Or, you could log on Monday morning in a 172 and carry passengers Monday afternoon in your (nosewheel) LSA.

Seems like the general consensus is also what we also determined, that logging and acting were different, which is what allowed a non-current (yet rated with current medical) pilot fly with somebody beside him - because that somebody was an acting PIC. Three landings later, that pilot became current, and was legal to be acting (and logging) PIC, had we agreed on it.
The correct answer to a regulatory question is not dependent on the general consensus of a bunch of guys on the Internet.

That current medical is not required to log landings to regain passenger currency either.

no person may act as a pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers ... unless that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings within the preceding 90 days, and -
(i) The person acted as the sole manipulator of the flight controls; and
(ii) The required takeoffs and landings were performed in an aircraft of the same category, class, and type (if a type rating is required), and, if the aircraft to be flown is an airplane with a tailwheel, the takeoffs and landings must have been made to a full stop in an airplane with a tailwheel.​

I keep looking for that medical certificate, flight review requirement, acting as PIC requirement and any requirement other than sole manipultor during the takeoffs and landings in an appropriate aircraft but, hard as I try, can't find it.

Last edited:
You have it right. He can get currency back either by flying solo or as the sole manipulator of the controls with someone else as pilot in command or while getting instruction from an authorized instructor (who would not be considered a passenger).

For the sole manipulator rule to apply he'd also have to be a required crew member. Which in a plane certified for one pilot he isn't with someone else as PIC in the right seat.

As soon as the right seater isn't PIC he's a passenger which the guy in the left seat can't carry since he's not current.

In a plane with a required crew of 2, you could do this

For the sole manipulator rule to apply he'd also have to be a required crew member. Which in a plane certified for one pilot he isn't with someone else as PIC in the right seat.
Reread 61.51(e)(i), it doesn't say anything about being a required crew member. He just needs to be a sport, recreational, private, commercial pilot or an ATP, and rated in the airplane.
As soon as the right seater isn't PIC he's a passenger which the guy in the left seat can't carry since he's not current.
That part's true.

You are confusing several things.

First, the 61.57 passenger carrying currency doesn't say anything about logging PIC time. It doesn't say anything about required crew members. It just says you must make three takeoffs and landings as the sole manipulator.

Second, even for logging PIC time you're wrong. The rule says you may log PIC time for that time which you are the sole manipulator of an aircraft for which you are rated. PERIOD. There are no additional requirements.

What you may be confused with is the provision that allows you to log PIC time if you are the pilot in command in a operation requiring more than one pilot by the TC or the regs. This is different.

As the saying goes "Being PILOT IN COMMAND is neither a necessary nor sufficient condition to log PILOT IN COMMAND time."

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back