Curious; If you're in HUD equipped AC, how do you deal with crosswind landing?

I suppose it depends on the type of HUD. I'm not familiar with commercially available units, but in my aircraft, we have a "velocity vector" also called a "flight path marker" I believe in USAF terminology. So you can either have it "caged" or "uncaged".......I can't ever remember which one is which, but one of them allows the entire pitch ladder symbology to slew in the direction you are actually traveling to. In other words, you just crab so that the center of the pitch ladder lines are in line with runway centerline. Obviously aircraft specific x-wind landing technique could differ, but it is a very easy and intuitive way to correct to the proper crab angle on approach. I feel like it would make more sense with pictures but I don't have any at the moment.

I have never even seen a HUD, or any other synthetic vision system, but I THINK it would be like localizer needles: I assume that it does not know the actual direction your plane is pointing, but rather just the ground track that your plane is flying. So one would fly the needle (or the HUD, or the sythetic vision) until one is visual, and then deal with it in the traditional manner.

Wells

The HUD I've used is a bit different but I'd say most display the same data. You've got a heading up top, a velocity vector in the middle and a trim ball at the bottom. I suppose those would be the most important cues in a crosswind landing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    984.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
If you're in HUD equipped AC, how do you deal with crosswind landing?
By looking out the window and making the corrections necessary to land on the centerline longitudinally aligned with no drift?

I must be missing the point of the question. Are you talking about landing on a zero/zero day?

Flew one with a HUD one time. Other pilot said, "Just put the little plane thingy on the runway and you're good."

I have never even seen a HUD, or any other synthetic vision system, but I THINK it would be like localizer needles: I assume that it does not know the actual direction your plane is pointing, but rather just the ground track that your plane is flying. So one would fly the needle (or the HUD, or the sythetic vision) until one is visual, and then deal with it in the traditional manner.

Wells

Just an FYI thing: the aircraft definitely knows where it's pointing along with knowing ground track on the Aspen SV system.

By looking out the window and making the corrections necessary to land on the centerline longitudinally aligned with no drift?

I must be missing the point of the question. Are you talking about landing on a zero/zero day?

Count me in as another who doesn't get the question either:dunno:

I think maybe the question is referring to the fact that in a severe crosswind with a substantial crab angle, you'll be looking away from the center of the windshield to see the runway. Will that put the HUD out of your main field of view?

Does anybody slip to keep the HUD / windshield aligned with the runway?
Anybody?

I think maybe the question is referring to the fact that in a severe crosswind with a substantial crab angle, you'll be looking away from the center of the windshield to see the runway. Will that put the HUD out of your main field of view?

On a severe crab in your layman's 172, the instrument panel isn't in your main field of view either:dunno:

Yeah, but the whole point of an HUD is to correct that "problem". Here is (maybe) an instance where it fails to do so. Personally, I'm skeptical that it's actually an issue.

I didn't really frame the question well. First off it's really a HUD/EVS (FLIR Enhanced Vision) system; FLIR camera image superimposed on a HUD and they are installed on Cat 2/3 aircraft. We go through a lot with alignments so the FLIR camera lines up with the HUD cues.

I don't really see how it's going to work with a cross wind if you do any crabbing because the FLIR camera isn't going to look down the runway if you crab. Honestly I don't know if you do crab with swept wing aircraft. It just seems like if the camera isn't pointed down the runway, what's the value?

Last edited:
I would specifically ask your particular air frame operators for their procedures. Looks like crab to slip method here, so there would be value prior to reaching DH (perhaps before that given a wide enough FLIR FOV?):

Back