CUBA

I was there in 2016. At that time lots of people were traveling without approved itineraries. Trump said no more of that so if you want to go yourself you have to do an itinerary and get it approved by US Treasury. You can do a group travel with any organization that has an approved itinerary. Downside if flying your own plane are the incredible landing fees. The biggest upside best rum anywhere.

There was someone on the Purple Board that took a trip there last year, and had some great write-ups and photos.

Im cuban and know a good bunch of friends from all around the states that made the trip down there on their own AC and the one thing that was the must pricey was all that airport fees ......

I thought people just went to Cuba via Canada first and had some request to not stamp the actual page in their passport or something like that.

Not a fan of being told where I can and can’t go by my own government, they serve me, they are NOT some parent figure.

I thought people just went to Cuba via Canada first and had some request to not stamp the actual page in their passport or something like that.

Not a fan of being told where I can and can’t go by my own government, they serve me, they are NOT some parent figure.

There ya go, thinkin' again....:lol::lol:

Direct travel was banned. A private citizen could go. Usually commercial airlines on a route such as Mexico City or Costa Rica, then Cuba. However there was not a Ramada Inn or a Marriott so finding a place to stay was difficult back then. Also it was legal to own Cuban cigars in the US. Not legal to import them direct from Cuba and a couple other countries at that time.

In 2006 I was offered a job flying Piper Chieftains direct from Fort Lauderdale to Havana. There was no place to live in FLL at the time, so I went west instead.

For the last few years there have been some travel services registered with the State Department that would take you on a tour. Everything including meals and accommodations had to be prepaid (US citizens weren't allowed to purchase things in Cuba). I guess the embargo has been lifted. I do know several people that have traveled there, but they went indirectly through Mexico or Central America.

I’ve known divers who went there. Some of the best diving in the Caribbean, supposedly. I don’t dare try it, as it would cost me my security clearance and likely my job if discovered. There are several countries on the “don’t go” list, some of them surprising.

Maybe after I retire.....

Back