Cub down - Jack Brown’s seaplane, Wtr Hvn, FL

I read that the pilot taking the lesson was a pilot based from my airport in East TN. I don't believe I know him though.

Cubs don’t seem to be the most crash worthy airplanes. I wonder if they have a track record of more serious injuries… to bad there isn’t anyone on here that tracks that kinda stuff.

Cubs don’t seem to be the most crash worthy airplanes. I wonder if they have a track record of more serious injuries… to bad there isn’t anyone on here that tracks that kinda stuff.
It's generally the front seat, and yeah, it's a known thing. Cubs can "just barely kill ya."

I mean, it looks like a cub. Most of Jack Brown's cubs had white floats too.

40 years? Well crap. That's an impressive crash.

I mean, it looks like a cub. Most of Jack Brown's cubs had white floats too.

40 years? Well crap. That's an impressive crash.

It’s one of Brown’s planes and one of Brown’s instructors was in it. Figured you might have serviced it a time or two.

I saw that 40 year old typo too...but I'm still hung up on how a wingtip dipping will catapult it cleanly 40 ...I assume it's meant to be yards...although it looks a good bit further than that form the shoreline...and even farther from where they would have been out in the lake.....

My guess...the reporter was making it up as he went along....

Might they have been in very shallow water and had a wingtip or pontoon catch the lake bottom? We’re short on rainfall and the lake water levels are low.

Sorry to hear. Before I sold my boat, I used to enjoy anchoring near Jack Browns and watching the Cubs take off and land.

Cubs are slow, but they’re not *THAT* slow. I could believe “two days” to fly that far onto land after a bounce of the floats, maybe even “nearly 1/4 of a fortnight,” but 40 years just seems a bit exaggerated.

Hope the occupants recover fully, and soon, and the Cub is rebuildable.

I don't know anything about seaplanes. But I have flown a few different cubs. The land version, I can't see being fast enough in a landing to cartwheel or "bounce" anywhere near as far as it looks like happened here. Any guesses as to what could cause this, other than the normal stall/spin that every plane can do?

As far as Cub crash survival, I don't know how I'd rate that. I know that for off field landing, they seem to do pretty well, in part because you can bring them in slow, they don't need much room, and in the originals there's no electrical system to add to the fire risk. The tube structure is strong, but on the other hand there's zero padding and many don't have any shoulder harnesses.

In the three quarters of a century since my first flight in a Cub, I have seen a lot of crashed Cubs, and am aware of zero fatalities.

Half a century ago, College Park MD had a larger fleet of Cubs for a very active flight school. They crashed often, the best pieces were combined into a flying airplane. N numbers were in tall characters on each side of the fuselage, plus on top of one wing, and the bottom of the other wing. There was one Cub with different numbers on the wings, total of 3 N numbers, and flew like that until its own wings were repaired.

Most of the crash's were while landing, on the airport, or, due to engine failure, off airport. On airport stalls just before landing, and ground loops, off airport landing gear damage from rough places in the field.

As pointed out above, they are not padded, and did not come with safety harnesses, just a lap strap. The welded tube frame is tough, but the fabric is easily punctured, so there is quite a bit of risk. The largest explanation of the relatively few serious injuries over the years is the modest maximum and stall speeds with the original 65 HP engines.

A Cub that stalls at 10 feet AGL is not going to hit the ground at a very high horizontal speed or impact hard.

Sorry to hear. Before I sold my boat, I used to enjoy anchoring near Jack Browns and watching the Cubs take off and land.

That brought back memories of when a former employer used to rent a house for us on Lake Rochelle during Sun 'n Fun. It was pure joy to get ready for the day while watching Cubs and other seaplanes doing early morning splash 'n goes.

Back