Crosswind landing question

As for the rest of you screaming troll and phlremming whatever, shame on you.

I have a natural tendency to be right in most things and this is something you're just going to have to accept.

I have a natural tendency to be right in most things and this is something you're just going to have to accept.

Ah. Well your righteousness and my righteousness need to be reconciled. If we are both right, this will work out well. If one of us is lying well then that will be found out. I know for a fact that I am righteous. If you are righteous I am confident the cosmos will find a way to harmonize us. If not, then you are clearly not righteous.

So, I assume we helped you settle an argument with one of your flight sim buddies?

So, I assume we helped you settle an argument with one of your flight sim buddies?

No I recently had a bad experience with a crosswind landing and wanted to get some feedback. I almost lost it.

No I recently had a bad experience with a crosswind landing and wanted to get some feedback. I almost lost it.

If you want help here, it's really very simple:
  1. Don't insult the people you expect help from
  2. Give the circumstances that occurred, and what you wanted instead
But I have a question: since you are just naturally right all the time, why are you asking anyone for help???

"Buffoon" seems like too kind of a description.

In the case where there is a massive crosswind at 90 degrees to the runway so that there is no headwind at all and I, through great skill or maybe just luck, manage to land the aircraft at an angle of 10 degrees to the center line, will I be able to keep it in a straight line? I am assuming that I continue banking into the wind.

Troll or not, the answer to this question is... most likely. Since you're banked, the aft most main wheel will touch first and decelerate the plane. The CG, being forward of that, will tend to remove some of the crab angle and the left rudder, though not enough to align the nose with the runway, will steer the nose wheel left. When it comes down, sooner than a good pilot would allow, it will jerk to the left. By the time you react, the nose alignment will be more reasonable and you will feel like you did a masterful job, but you didn't. If you push the stick forward you will wheelbarrow and break off the nose gear, so don't do that. If you unbank the wing, you will leaf up and catch the left wingtip on the ground, so don't do that either. Just keep flying the plane after touchdown, holding the nose in the air and wing down until it settles on its own. Just before it touches, straighten the rudder pedals, ie, nosegear, so you can taxi with your feet. Taxi using aerodynamic control with respect to the relative wind direction to keep the plane from flipping over in a gust.

dtuuri

whomever.

Actually, "whoever" is correct in this case. The way I do it is I replace the "who(m)ever" with "he" "him" "his" (whichever properly fits the sentence). "Him" and "whom" both have an M....so they would go together. "He hasn't seen it" makes sense, "Him' hasn't seen it" doesn't.

Anyways....maybe correcting 6PC isn't the wisest option, so back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Troll or not, the answer to this question is... most likely. Since you're banked, the aft most main wheel will touch first and decelerate the plane. The CG, being forward of that, will tend to remove some of the crab angle and the left rudder, though not enough to align the nose with the runway, will steer the nose wheel left. When it comes down, sooner than a good pilot would allow, it will jerk to the left. By the time you react, the nose alignment will be more reasonable and you will feel like you did a masterful job, but you didn't. If you push the stick forward you will wheelbarrow and break off the nose gear, so don't do that. If you unbank the wing, you will leaf up and catch the left wingtip on the ground, so don't do that either. Just keep flying the plane after touchdown, holding the nose in the air and wing down until it settles on its own. Just before it touches, straighten the rudder pedals, ie, nosegear, so you can taxi with your feet. Taxi using aerodynamic control with respect to the relative wind direction to keep the plane from flipping over in a gust.

dtuuri

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

I've been working on my crosswind landings ever since those two accidents I had.

I think what the OP is asking is how much misalignment is too much. The answer is any misalignment is too much. It may not result in a catastrophic cartwheel or ground loop but any misalignment with the runway on touchdown is bad for the wheels on most aircraft and may result in even more than just increased tire wear. Does every pilot manage to get perfectly aligned when kicking out the crab in a strong xwind, no, but every pilot should be striving to. Some airplanes are more tolerant than others. Heck, some even have what's called xwind landing gear that can be aligned with the runway while in a crab. Aircraft with their main gear set close together are less tolerant and if they're tailwheel aircraft, they'll ground loop given any excuse. So there's no absolute number of degrees off runway alignment that can be considered okay.

Back