Crosswind landing question

Plonkywonk

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Plonkywonk
Hello everyone. Please to meet you in in this training group.

I have a crosswind landing question.

Let's say you've managed to put the plane down more or less aligned with the center line in a fierce crosswind. Let's say no more than 10 degrees misaligned. Let's also say it's a nosedragger. Are you out of the woods on the runway as long as you adjust it and keep it going straight?

No you're not, if it's enough of a strong wind.

Never stop flying the plane till its tied down or in the hangar and secured.

When landing in crosswinds, it's important to keep (and constantly update) your crosswind corrections until you shut the plane down.

I had this scenario on my checkride yesterday. We had a 12kt 50-degree crosswind. I brought us down in a crab, and switched to cross-controlling the aircraft over the runway. Upon touchdown, your first instinct is to relax the control inputs - don't. You can't forget that the wind is still working on your plane just like it was in the air. If the crosswind is strong enough, you can be pushed around, so you want to keep the same corrections while taxiing and exiting the runway.

From there, recall your crosswind taxi corrections and apply them.

Flying the plane doesn't stop on touchdown, it stops when the chocks are in.

Is the runway stationary or is it moving?
Makes a big difference.

Don't release the controls after your wheels make contact. It's poor form.

Is the nosewheel enough to keep it aligned? Now the engine is idling and the plane is slowing the rudder is not effective anymore. I guess that is my question.

Is the nosewheel enough to keep it aligned? Now the engine is idling and the plane is slowing the rudder is not effective anymore. I guess that is my question.

Have you actually ever flown an airplane?

While the prop blast provides a little help to the rudder, it is primarily the relative wind. As you slow down in a head wind, you still have pretty good blast over the tail. If you are landing downwind, things can get squirly in a hurry.

What's this nosewheel thing, not every airplane has them and even those that have them it's bad form to land on them.

Further, in addition to getting your airplane tracking straight, you'll want to keep the wings from tipping the aircraft.

This is covered on your FIRST lesson in taxiing.

Gonna have to steer with the rudder on the ground, right? Give 'er what she needs to get you where you need to be. That's with a 152 with no nose wheel steering.

Ailerons and elevator per text-book. If not, wind will be the boss and swing you around (experienced that while coming to a stop to point the nose in the right direction for my taxiway run-up...was more focused on the next steps rather than the wind and bringing the plane to a complete safe stop) or worse, tip you over.

Caveat: I'm a 35 hr student.

Have you actually ever flown an airplane?

What does that have to do with anything? Try to answer the question instead of attacking me.

While the prop blast provides a little help to the rudder, it is primarily the relative wind. As you slow down in a head wind, you still have pretty good blast over the tail. If you are landing downwind, things can get squirly in a hurry.

So there is no headwind. Do you understand what I mean by crosswind. No headwind. Want to revise your answer?

What's this nosewheel thing, not every airplane has them and even those that have them it's bad form to land on them.

Who said I was going to land on the nosewheel? All I can is wow. Why so agro bro?

Thanks for your help. :rolleyes:

What does that have to do with anything? Try to answer the question instead of attacking me.
No one is 'attacking' you. It just seems you'e never bothered to put

So there is no headwind. Do you understand what I mean by crosswind. No headwind. Want to revise your answer?
You're changing your story now. Unless the wind is magically following you around so that it's always 90 degrees relative to your airplane, there's going to be a head or tailwind component. You were the one who brought up 10 degrees of misalignment so either the wind is 90 degrees to the runway or 90 degrees to the airplane, but it can't be both.

But even neglecting the possibility of a headwind component from the wind. Your airplane is moving forward. Unless you have a tailwind component exactly the same as your forward speed, there is a relative wind whih is moving across your control surfaces (rudder, aileron, elevator). Your control surfaces work even when there is ZERO blowing wind because of this. Again if you'd actually ever flown a plane or taken ground school or read the first thing about flying, you'd know this.

Who said I was going to land on the nosewheel? All I can is wow. Why so agro bro?
I am not agro at all. You just seem to have no reading comprension or you
're getting your rocks off trolling the forum with your intentional obstuseness.
I didn't say you were landing on the nosewheel, it is just that you won't have the nosewheel on the GROUND during all phases of the landing/rollout IF YOU'RE DOING IT RIGHT.

Yep, as I suspected, just a rude troll.

I don't have time for people who aren't actually interested in learning. Good day, sir.

Last edited:

Welcome to POA. Its hard to answer your question because it depends. Any weight on the nose wheel is going to help it keep you tracking straight. It just depends on how much crosswind is trying to weather vane you and whether or not you are correcting for that with rudder/aileron, how much weight is on the nose etc.

There is always a relative headwind as you're moving forward, even if the crosswind is 90 degrees, which you didn't specify.

Why are you asking this group of what you called "poor deluded fools" and "feeble minds"? Clearly you think you know more about flying than any of us.

When you are interested in actually learning how to fly then take a discovery flight and start taking lessons. Crosswind landings will be taught well before first solo. Maybe you can even find yourself a "papyrus bearing CFI" to teach you.

FlyingRon Sir, I generally do respect the elderly and I regret my response to you in hindsight my initial posting may not have been fully clear. My beat down of you was perhaps a bit much sometimes I forget my own strength. Please accept my apologies as I do yours which I'm sure will be forthcoming when you reread your response to me.

Allow me to elaborate further. While my skill is natural and prodigious, it is true, what I am seeking is knowledge on whether this applies to multiple aircraft types that I have not been lucky enough to pilot. In honesty my experience is fairly limited due to funds (lack thereof).

This is a serious and honest question.

In the case where there is a massive crosswind at 90 degrees to the runway so that there is no headwind at all and I, through great skill or maybe just luck, manage to land the aircraft at an angle of 10 degrees to the center line, will I be able to keep it in a straight line? I am assuming that I continue banking into the wind.

Maybe you could expand your small footprint airport experiments to include the effects of landing aircraft with tricycle landing gear in a crab.

See, the "ignore thread" button does have a purpose.

Trolling trolling trolling rawhideeeeeeeeee!

:loco::loco::loco::loco::loco::loco::loco::loco:

Last edited:
Guys, this is a serious question. All joking aside.

What I'm asking is if I just barely manage to get it on the ground, not perfectly aligned, in a pure crosswind and IF I DO EVERYTHING RIGHT, is it doable if I'm as much as 10 degrees off a straight line.

Maybe you didn't like my ideas of a small footprint airport. You need to get over that if I hurt your feelings. I have a natural tendency to be right in most things and this is something you're just going to have to accept.

Please answer the question.

Thank you and good night.

Somebody else, anyone, please ignore the idiots and help out someone who just wants to be better in his striving for perfection.

Alright, the Troll Police will be coming to take you away soon, so prepare!

:loco::loco::loco::loco::loco:

And don't let the beard fool you, ladies and gentleman: This is a bearded lady in our presence.

Is it 10 deg to the left or right? it's important--want to make sure you get a perfect answer.

Hey I'm off to watch "Deadpool". Any good?

If you cannot hold centerline on final with the airplane in line (that is, the tail inline with the spinner), then the answer is NO ... you won't hold it on the ground.

Seek another runway or field with better headwinds.

I hope that's simple enough to visualize and understand.

Is it 10 deg to the left or right? it's important--want to make sure you get a perfect answer.

Ah thank you. Okay let's say the wind is from the right at 90 degrees. We're 10 degrees to the right because we couldn't quite get enough rudder to line up.

As I said, serious question.

If you cannot hold centerline on final with the airplane in line (that is, the tail inline with the spinner), then the answer is NO ... you won't hold it on the ground.

Seek another runway or field with better headwinds.

I hope that's simple enough to visualize and understand.

Thanks. Appreciate the serious reply.

I have a natural tendency to be right in most things and this is something you're just going to have to accept.

Yep. Troll.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

The rudder is the first control to become effective on acceleration for takeoff and the last control to lose effectiveness on deceleration. It has the longest arm (greatest distance from the center of gravity).

When the downwind main gear is lowered to the surface by gravity you should be down to taxi speed...but keep that upwind aileron deflected, all the way to the stops if necessary.

For fun, go up with an instructor or trusted friend, slow to takeoff speed, hang out all of the flaps, and then slowly pull the yoke back into your lap. Elevator control goes first, of course, but you can still waggle the wings and rudder. Then hold the yoke centered and kick the rudders left and right...you still have rudder control. (Be sure to have lots of altitude, because you will be losing altitude throughout this demonstration.)

Bob Gardner

Last edited:
FlyingRon Sir, I generally do respect the elderly and I regret my response to you in hindsight my initial posting may not have been fully clear. My beat down of you was perhaps a bit much sometimes I forget my own strength. Please accept my apologies as I do yours which I'm sure will be forthcoming when you reread your response to me.

Allow me to elaborate further. While my skill is natural and prodigious, it is true, what I am seeking is knowledge on whether this applies to multiple aircraft types that I have not been lucky enough to pilot. In honesty my experience is fairly limited due to funds (lack thereof).

This is a serious and honest question.

In the case where there is a massive crosswind at 90 degrees to the runway so that there is no headwind at all and I, through great skill or maybe just luck, manage to land the aircraft at an angle of 10 degrees to the center line, will I be able to keep it in a straight line? I am assuming that I continue banking into the wind.

Newton's First Law of Motion: An object in motion continues in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. If you touch down traveling at a ten degree angle to the centerline and don't do anything, your airplane will run off the side and into the weeds. My paraplegic (hand-control) students learned this early in training.

Bob Gardner

hat I'm asking is if I just barely manage to get it on the ground, not perfectly aligned, in a pure crosswind and IF I DO EVERYTHING RIGHT, is it doable if I'm as much as 10 degrees off a straight line.

Of course, troll dude. That's the beauty of the Polish tailwheel.

Rudders are still effective when idling and taxiing. Just stick your hand out the window. Then try it. In a no wind situation rudder will give you turning force.

You still have the option of a crabbed landing. Airliners do it. Last resort or course.

And if your runway is wide enough, you do have the option of landing to one side and taking the slanted path down the runway. Inadvisable on a 40 foot wide strip. Very doable on a 150 foot wide one.

Thanks for the serious replies. Bob that was exactly what I was looking for.

As for the rest of you screaming troll and phlremming whatever, shame on you.

:nono:

Deadpool was awesome by the way for whoever hasn't seen it.

Back