Critique my avionics choices.

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by Challenged, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Challenged

Challenged Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Challenged
    I'd like to update the panel in my V35, currently:
    • UBG16 Engine Monitor
    • KY-97 Comm
    • KX-155 Nav/Comm
    • KNS-80 Nav/DME
    • KR-87 ADF
    • KLN-90B GPS
    • Garmin 320 Transponder
    • STEC 60-1 (single axis) autopilot
    Thinking the following:
    • Avidyne IFD-540 IFR GPS
    • JPI EDM-830 Engine Monitor
    • Lynx NGT-9000 ADSB In/Out
    • PS Engineering PMA450B Audio Panel
    • Dual G5?, Aspen? Wait for Dynon?
    • Fork over for a new Nav/Comm or Keep the KX-155 or what?

2. Morgan3820

Morgan3820 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Reno
    $37-$38K installed. Might as well get another nav/com. Used KX-125 would do nicely for little more. Add another $1.5K

3. flyer770

flyer770 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flyer770
    I’d rather keep the KX-155 as your second navcomm, if you weren’t buying a new second one. Keep the used radio you know over the one you don’t.

Are you getting a new autopilot?

4. chemgeek

chemgeek Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    chemgeek
    You will like the Lynx. The second navcom hardly ever gets used except to check AWOS or ATIS, maybe ground, so why replace it if it works? It will never have much of a role with the GPS in the panel unless the GPS quits.

The ADF is definitely a paperweight these days. And it's getting harder to pick up baseball games on AM radio!

The Aspen is nice, but dual G5s have double the redundancy. And the price is pretty comparable. I'm tempted if and when the vac instruments fail again.

5. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    What’s the mission?

6. Challenged

Display Name:

Display name:
    Challenged
    As far as auto-pilots go, the cost for the 2 axis STEC upgrade is like twice the cost of the entire Garmin GFC-500 unit, so sticking with STEC wouldn't make financial sense I don't think. I'm tempted to wait and see what happens with Dynon and maybe use their autopilot setup. The V35 is listed as approved for the Garmin GFC-500 auto-pilot, so that's an option, but not sure if that ties me to G5s or anything.

gsengle likes this.
  7. Challenged

Display Name:

Display name:
    Challenged
    Looking to finish up my Instrument rating (have 95% of my hours) while I have a dual yoke installed and use the plane for family trips. We don't take weekly trips or anything, so I'm going to have to be diligent about staying proficient on my own.

8. Unit74

Unit74 Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    Unit74

Uhh.... I’m more like Garmin G500 TXi for that price.

9. chemgeek

chemgeek Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    chemgeek
    Don't underestimate the time it takes to get proficient with the new gadgets in an IMC/IFR environment. The knobology can sometimes be more problematic than the actual flying. When the magic boxes are properly configured, a trained monkey can almost fly the plane. Wouldn't trade the magic box for a bucket of VORs and ADFs though. I trained almost 30 years ago...when LORAN was a thing...the magic boxes are amazingly safer to fly with. So much info at your fingertips.

10. chartbundle

chartbundle Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    chartbundle
    If you're going to spend the money to install a new engine monitor, I'd recommend upgrading to an engine monitor that can replace your primary gauges. EDM 900 or 930 or MVP-50 or CGR-30p/c .

gsengle and Martin Pauly like this.
  11. GBSoren

GBSoren Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    GBSoren
    I was just faced with this decision as well. Originally was planning to add an 830, then decided I'd like to clean up my panel so was looking at a 900. After doing more research and some convincing from Chase Larebee at Avionic Source I decided on the MVP 50. It offers so many other features that the JPI units don't, I really like being able to monitor my landing gear. EI has been great to work with during the install, they're known to have excellent customer service.

12. mscheuer

mscheuer Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    mscheuer
    Well I sure like your PMA450B choice! Good news is you’ll be able to get most of its capabilities without the use of the user guide or laminate cheat sheet. 3 softkeys and a beautiful OLED screen makes set up easy peasy.

Added benefit, me! If you have any questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Mark

Martin Pauly likes this.
  13. Challenged

Display Name:

Display name:
    Challenged
    Thanks Mark..always nice to have direct support. I've yet to read a pilot say anything bad about the 450, so you guys should be proud of your work.

mscheuer likes this.
  14. Mtns2Skies

Mtns2Skies Super Moderator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mtns2Skies
    Just to be a contrarian here, when I was faced with the audio panel decision I went Garmin gma342/345 because I found the 3D audio to be a really cool advanced feature. Additionally it's a very simple intuitive unit, and the rest of my panel is Garmin, so might as well get the Garmin audio panel. It looks like you're trying really hard to not get any Garmin products in your lineup there, but they're pretty tough to beat. If you want an extra nav/com or com I'd recommend the gtr225 or gnc255 which is really miles ahead of any others on the market IMHO.

15. Martin Pauly

Martin Pauly Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Martin Pauly
    It is cool and surprisingly useful, but then the 450 has it, too - they call it "IntelliAudio Dimensional Audio".

- Martin

mscheuer and Mtns2Skies like this.
  16. chartbundle

chartbundle Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    chartbundle
    I think for many of us it ends up being the panel size and how much other work is being done. In my case it was almost no other panel work(this time) so I just went with the EDM-900, the CGR pair(I'd need both to handle all my primaries) would have needed one hole enlarged, and the 930 and MVP would have required major surgery.

20181218_130049 (1)s.jpg 20180412_132558s.jpg

17. JohnAJohnson

JohnAJohnson Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    JohnAJohnson
    You're doing the same thing I'm doing, but I'm holding out for the Dynon STC for engine monitoring and the rest of the glass. I've already got the IFD540 and PMA450B ready to be installed and want to upgrade the second radio, but will keep my TKM MX300 Nav Com in Position 2 for the time being. Then, when the Matrix 1 comes to market, I'll simply remove the MX300 and install the Matrix 1. So here's a suggestion... Keep the KX-155 in the panel, and when the Matrix 1 comes to market (they are building one that's pin compatible with the KX-155), simply take out the KX-155 and install the Matrix 1.

upload_2018-12-30_19-6-45.jpeg

mscheuer likes this.
  18. Walt

Walt Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    FOXMIKE
    Only one comment. I have a PS 450 which I really like. The dimensional audio is a useful feature particularly during single pilot IFR ops.

mscheuer likes this.
  19. bnt83

bnt83 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian
    You are gonna be ****ed if your airplane goes through all that work and you fly it home happy and the KX-155 craps out a few months later. It is not cost effective for most owners to piece meal a new panel together, I bet it takes me three hours just R&R all the junk to do what I wanted in the panel for things like that. That doesn't include relocating the airplane, fetching a ride home and all that occurs when and owner needs to leave the airplane at the shop.

If you are set on more than one panel upgrade event then disregard, just food for thought. Or could do some sort of slide-in replacement for if it craps, but "slide-in" may have some strings and may not be compatible with existing unknowns.

20. Challenged

Display Name:

Display name:
    Challenged
    For IFR flying would you be comfortable with the IFD and just one other comm (not nav/comm)? I do have tablets with synthetic vision + separate battery powered ADSB/AHRS onboard.

Mtns2Skies likes this.
  21. Mtns2Skies

Mtns2Skies Super Moderator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mtns2Skies
    +1 on this. A new com isn't that expensive, even for the realm of avionics. Com is ~$1.5k Vs a Nav/com which is $4.5k + 1.5k for a CDI if yours is not compatible.

22. bnt83

bnt83 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian
    Probably not.

BTW, is the KX155 in good shape? I mean a dealer might give you a pretty damn good trade in price towards a new nav/com. I was shocked at what we got for ours a couple years ago. Total bill was a lot less than I thought it would be.

I

23. Challenged

Display Name:

Display name:
    Challenged
    All the current avionics are usable. I'm tempted to just wait for Dynon (like John above).