Crazy lady attacks seaplane in Halibut Cove, AK

I can't even get that far because I don't even have Facebook. Hope someone can extract it and make it available.
I'm not a member of that group but I didn't have any trouble viewing the video. Setting up a Facebook account doesn't cost anything, and if you decide you don't like it, there's no law that says you have to keep using it. (I gave it a phony birth date for security reasons.)

I'm not a member of that group but I didn't have any trouble viewing the video. Setting up a Facebook account doesn't cost anything, and if you decide you don't like it, there's no law that says you have to keep using it. (I gave it a phony birth date for security reasons.)
I did once. Long time ago. So I guess the account is still there but I don't remember the sign in info. I wouldn't care anyway. I didn't like it.

So is whacking the wave with prop fall under a prop strike requiring an inspection???

I did once. Long time ago. So I guess the account is still there but I don't remember the sign in info. I wouldn't care anyway. I didn't like it.
It's a clunky user interface, and it's ad-supported, but there are a few special-interest groups and pages, plus some local friends with shared interests, that make it worth putting up with for me. One key is that I use a browser, not a Facebook-specific app, so it's easy for me to just ignore it if I'm not in the mood.

In case you change your mind, there's probably a way to reset your password if you know what email address you used when you set it up, or you could just start a new account.

The link that X3 Skier posted goes to the Seaplane Pilots' Association page, which has an interesting discussion of the incident.

It's a clunky user interface, and it's ad-supported, but there are a few special-interest groups and pages, plus some local friends with shared interests, that make it worth putting up with for me. One key is that I use a browser, not a Facebook-specific app, so it's easy for me to just ignore it if I'm not in the mood.

In case you change your mind, there's probably a way to reset your password if you know what email address you used when you set it up, or you could just start a new account.

The link that X3 Skier posted goes to the Seaplane Pilots' Association page, which has an interesting discussion of the incident.
I've thought of that. Maybe I will. Seems more and more folk just don't come here much anymore. What I don't like is the format. Here everything is in sequence and you know who posted what. My memory of Facebook is everything seems to come in kinda haphazardly. You see something and you think that's what that guy put there. But it turns out somebody else did it but they were just a follower of them or something. Seems a lot of folk hang out in Reddit now to. Someone posts something and you have to always go back to their post to follow the replies. Here you just keep reading down the Thread from the beginning and the replies to that post show up as they are made.

I’ve been off Facebook and the other social medias for about 7 years now and I don’t regret it one bit. If you look into how they are built and the psychological effects it’s all bad. Happy to not send zuck one penny.

Can you really use a seaplane to keelhaul someone? I didn’t think seaplanes had keels.

The floats of float planes have keels and the hulls of flying boats have keels, so it can be done. It's more effective though, using the barnacle-encrusted hull of a vessel having a wide beam.

The floats of float planes have keels and the hulls of flying boats have keels, so it can be done. It's more effective though, using the barnacle-encrusted hull of a vessel having a wide beam.

Hmmmm..... This raises the possibility of airborne keelhauling.

So is whacking the wave with prop fall under a prop strike requiring an inspection???
Certainly I would, depending on if it altered engine RPM. Water can bend things (and crush seaplane hulls) at high speeds.

The guy taking off after the (possible?) prop strike might cause more him trouble than the boat lady’s actions.

He may not have been aware of it until he landed and watched the video. As it was happening, he was pretty busy.

This lady is a loon and needs to be punished for this. Paying for an engine tear down and repair would be a start.

It’s a shame the local community lets people get away with this behavior

It is not the local community that lets her get away with it. In Alaska there are many, many folks that think state and federal laws does not apply to them in Alaska, yet they hide behind the constitution when you try to tell then otherwise.

A LOT of losers find their way there, I mean a LOT. Alaska is not called the end of the road for nothing.

On the other hand there are many fine law abiding folk that make Alaska home. But you never see them in the news.

I'm not sure that would qualify as a prop strike. My brief googol search didn't find an FAA mandated definition of a prop strike; however, different engine manufacturers seem to have a similar definition of what constitutes a prop strike. In short, a propeller striking a "soft" medium such as water, grass etc. that does not cause prop damage would be designated a prop strike if it caused a loss of engine RPM.

Below are scenarios that would be a prop strike according to Teledyne Continental:

"• Any incident, whether or not the engine is operating, where repair of the propeller is necessary.

• Any incident during engine operation where the propeller has impact on a solid object. This incident includes propeller strikes against the ground. Although the propeller can continue to turn, damage to the engine can occur, possibly with progression to engine failure.

• Sudden rpm drop on impact to water, tall grass, or similar yielding medium where propeller damage does not usually occur."

I'm afraid that the discussion of whether or not the Beaver's prop interaction with the water constituted a prop strike will be relegated to the realm of lawyers. As far as I'm concerned, however, due to the reckless actions of the boater, the Beaver's prop contacted the water, and a thorough inspection of the engine for possible internal damage is warranted ... charged to the reckless boat operator.

Back in my younger days (many mango seasons ago), I often flew inter-island (Caribbean) on Antilles Airboats' Grumman Goose passenger aircraft. As any pilot would, I would always try to get the right front seat, which had no flight controls, but accorded an excellent view of the territory and of the pilot's activities. The Goose, like the Beaver, is powered by the sturdy Pratt & Whitney 985 of 450 horsepower. On the Goose, when takeoff power was applied, one would think that we were heading towards the bottom in a poor imitation of a submarine, such was the cascade of water over the wind screen and engines. The Goose's two 985s never missed a beat, and just kept on chuggin' away. This was routine for Goose operations, but one would not expect a Beaver's prop to come into contact with the surface of the water.

A LOT of losers find their way there, I mean a LOT. Alaska is not called the end of the road for nothing.

Back in the early 90's I went to Yakutat several times fly fishing with my Grandfather. Yakutat is another one of those in by air/sea places with the road system at the time consisting of about 4 miles one way and 4 miles another plus, one presumes, some trails so I was surprised to see an Alaskan State Trooper at breakfast at the lodge one morning and he was reading a Flying magazine.

Chatted with him and he was there to arrest a bunch of folks with outstanding warrants and fly them back to civilization in the Navajo he'd flown in. Apparently they know pretty well where these folks are and just wait until they have a plane loads worth to fly in and pick them up.

I’ve seen some pretty severe neighborhood disputes in 20 yrs on the force. Other than gun and fire, that ranks right up there. Hopefully someone takes ALL her keys! If she has dementia, I hope she is cared for and kept from any more of these shenanigans! This could have been tragic…

She's gonna be like the prison version of an HOA Karen. Good luck fed prison guards

I can totally see that. Hey, backing a powerboat at idle into sand will fold up a stainless steel propeller. (I used to work in a marina, I've seen people do this after they've been told not to.)

benyflyguy said:

See Post #62 for the answer to this question.

I dusted off my PACER account to grab the indictment. Attached for anyone interested..

Pretrial release terms: forbidden from operating a watercraft :D

Attachments

• beck.pdf
    64.7 KB · Views: 21
  • pretrial-terms.pdf
    243.1 KB · Views: 18
  • trial-date-order.pdf
    214.8 KB · Views: 10
released on own recog huh? And can travel to Hawaii too? Some hardship.

What's the sentencing guidelines for those charges if convicted?

She's gonna do what she wants to do despite the law telling her what she cannot do.

Prime example of a nutjob

Having had to deal with the idiots that believe because they live in Alaska the constitution does not apply to them and they can do whatever they want to others, I say the punishment is not enough.

I realize the plea bargain part was used just to get an easy conviction, but the video says it all.

"That restitution might be pretty steep. Seems like a fair deal across the board." (TCABM).

It should at least be steep enough to cover the cost of a tear-down inspection of an R-985

Looks down at checklist... "Find out" check!

Back