Crash near me

The audio you posted sure doesn't sound like someone with 400 hours. Sounded more like a student pilot to me.

It's hard to tell, I think she was Japanese and having trouble with the language as well. She didn't seem well prepared for 400 some hours though. Things aren't adding up on this story.

The thing I'd like to see answered is how did she acquire possession of the a/c.

Unless you don't want too...:dunno::confused:

No reason to jump to that conclusion, at least not yet.

There are simpler and more likely explanations, like flying while ill in crappy conditions. Or maybe something as simple as lack of currency or a vacuum pump failure.

Lots of single vehicle 'accidents' are suicides(or murder suicides.) More then we realize and get officially classified that way. Not saying that is the case here, but it is a reasonable conclusion about accidents involving flakey decision making.
No reason to jump to that conclusion, at least not yet.

There are simpler and more likely explanations, like flying while ill in crappy conditions. Or maybe something as simple as lack of currency or a vacuum pump failure.

The thing I'd like to see answered is how did she acquire possession of the a/c.

One of the articles states that she had flown an hour with the checkout cfi but wasnt signed off.
If it takes more than one flight to check someone out in a 152....

One of the articles states that she had flown an hour with the checkout cfi but wasnt signed off.

You are either no good, the FBO/CFI is taking advantage of you, and if you are in that position with 420 hrs, both.

Indeed.

"Flight Time Building" boy that doesn't sound sketchy, perhaps she was on the log one hour, pencil in 10, program :mad2:

I have a REAL hard time believing that audio clip was from a fresh PPL, let alone CPL, let alone someone with 400 hrs

Guessing some DPE might have a few questions to answer?

FlightTimeBuilding.com said:
To date we have had a 100% completion and satisfaction rate and we do plan to keep it that way.

Well so much for that plan, she is 100% complete with her flying, though her satisfaction rate may not be 100%

Last edited:
It's hard to judge her by voice. She is obviously Asian and not at all proficient in English (I would question her English Proficiency tester as well as DPE) so it's hard to determine whether her speech and cadence was a flying knowledge issue or a language knowledge issue. Either way, another airline aspirant out of the competition.

Flighttimebuilding.com said:
In general most Time Builders need about 100 to 150 hours and therefore get the 150 hour block in the cessna 152 which with current fuel prices puts the time build at about 5 weeks and about $10000 USD which would include aircraft, fuel and oil
150 hours in 5 weeks. That is 30 hours a week. I think I would be bored silly flying 30 hours a week in a 152 unless you turned it into a "tour the Southeast" type event!

Jim

Ralph Hicks, senior air safety investigator with National Transportation Safety Board, said the pilot was rated a certificated instrument pilot on single-engine or multi-engine aircraft

I'm not trying at all to dog pile on her, but her responses to ATC were surprising. When stress kicks in, I know people act differently, but she sounded very disorganized. Heading and altitude, just basic stuff; she wasn't following ATC's instructions. I'm really at a loss at how things went south. maybe fear kicked in and her brain seized on her?

Another difference between GA and motorcycles is that motorcycles tend to be as much responsible as not for their accidents. The other drivers on the road are more dangerous than you are. In our case, about 80+% of the time it's the pilot making a mistake.

Apparently this woman was in a school setting program where you buy a time block, then fly intensively. She hadn't been authorized to solo in the 152 yet by the program.

VFR flight into IMC, . The weather was a tight temperature/dew point spread all night, less than 3F. Was she thinking "it will probably be ok"?

It is my observation that English as a second language people’s ability to communicate deteriorates under stress.
I suspect being lost in the fog was very stressful.
I know many pilots around here who will take off without checking the weather.
More than once between the time I check the weather and 20 minutes later my home airport (SMX) has gone IFR and I have had to divert.
I have found that drawing conclusions from news stories to be counterproductive.
Reporters often don’t listen well or assign incorrect meaning to words pilots use.
Sometimes a friend will make something up in the hopes it will protect someone who has made a mistake.

I'm not trying at all to dog pile on her, but her responses to ATC were surprising. When stress kicks in, I know people act differently, but she sounded very disorganized. Heading and altitude, just basic stuff; she wasn't following ATC's instructions. I'm really at a loss at how things went south. maybe fear kicked in and her brain seized on her?

Throw in something like an exhaust leak leading to carbon monoxide poisoning and it could make sense.

I can't imagine many things more stressful than being lost in the fog, knowing that you're not supposed to be there and knowing that this is the #1 killer of VFR pilots.

People lose 90% of their mental capacity under stress. I used to teach pistol shooting and it was always a little iffy to see how someone was going to react the first time they got the gun in their hand, even unloaded. Part of shooting is learning to be familiar with the gun, to be comfortable with it while still respecting it. That just takes time.

I suspect actual IMC is the same way, although we get fairly good simulated practice under the hood. The more you do it, the more comfortable you are when it happens and the less stress it induces.

That said, we have been told again and again to fly the airplane first, at least my instructor told me that many times. To my eyes, she shouldn't have been flying in the first place with weather that could go to IMC so quickly. Then it was a case of not flying the plane, maybe because she was too stressed with the IMCto do it.

Ugh, way too close to home. X50 is my family's airport, hopefully I didn't know her :(.

Edit: Saw the name, thankfully not but RIP.

Last edited:
150 hours in 5 weeks. That is 30 hours a week. I think I would be bored silly flying 30 hours a week in a 152 unless you turned it into a "tour the Southeast" type event!

Jim

It's not about having fun, it's work invested towards a career goal. I did 40hrs training and an instrument check ride in one week. It wasn't about having fun.

Not only fear but language as well. When I have to communicate in Italian, I sound like a freaking retard. Under stress it probably wouldn't sound too solid in German either.

Last edited:
It's not about having fun, it's work invested towards a career goal. I did 40hrs training and an instrument check ride in one week. It wasn't about having fun.

Sadly, flying a racetrack pattern in a 152 for 30+ hours a week does not teach much, but it does help put a check mark in a box. Five weeks of that and you have probably learned more bad habits than anything else. But you get those magic "hours"!

I use to give check rides for a 141 school. Many of the students were Asian. The school required 3 years of English before enrollment. Most showed up not knowing more than a few words. The requirement is to 'read, speak, write and UNDERSTAND' the English language. Aviation is a language on its own. When they get into an unusual situation, they would revert back to 'baby talk' like "hello."

Sadly, flying a racetrack pattern in a 152 for 30+ hours a week does not teach much, but it does help put a check mark in a box. Five weeks of that and you have probably learned more bad habits than anything else. But you get those magic "hours"!

If that's how the renter builds their hours they already failed.

I flew across the country and into diffrent countries, all sorts of weather, day and night and that was just when I was building my 250 hours for my CPL.

That still doesn't answer how she acquired possession of the a/c.

Last edited:
MIHOKO TABATA

2-91-2-201 OTA
YAOSI 5810037
Medical
Medical Class: Third, Medical Date: 8/2014
MUST WEAR CORRECTIVE LENSES.
Certificates
COMMERCIAL PILOT
Date of Issue: 4/14/2010
Certificate: COMMERCIAL PILOT
Ratings:
COMMERCIAL PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.

I think we are witnessing the product of this

She seemed to be on a solo XC pressing conditions. That's not flying racetracks if I got that right.

MIHOKO TABATA

2-91-2-201 OTA
YAOSI 5810037
Medical
Certificates
COMMERCIAL PILOT
Ratings:
COMMERCIAL PILOT
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.

And she crashed in a little bit of fog ????

This just gets weirder and weirder....:confused::confused::confused:

And she crashed in a little bit of fog ????

This just gets weirder and weirder....:confused::confused::confused:
Your point is valid, but it wasn't just a little bit of fog. I was driving near that area around that time and I could barely see the stripes or the reflectors on the road in front of me at 6pm. And by 9pm it was worse, and darker. She was 100% socked in. That can be a scary feeling if you are not prepared for it. And CPL, IR, 400+hrs or not, she was NOT prepared for it.

Your point is valid, but it wasn't just a little bit of fog. I was driving near that area around that time and I could barely see the stripes or the reflectors on the road in front of me at 6pm. And by 9pm it was worse, and darker. She was 100% socked in. That can be a scary feeling if you are not prepared for it. And CPL, IR, 400+hrs or not, she was NOT prepared for it.

That's for sure.........

Gravity won again...:sad:

Identity theft? Flying as someone else? Farfetched but...

Well if that was the case they had that Japanese accent down pat.

Yeah IFR CPL since 2010.... I'd expect more then what I heard.

Your Google Fu is strong sir!

At least she didn't loose it in a 737 full of pax.

Stories like this really make me appreciate how our aviation industry works.

Does that diploma say 373-300 high altitude sign off>???:dunno:

If so,, I would guess the reason that guy is smiling is the gal can suck a golf ball through a garden hose....:nono::nono:

Edit.....

To be clear

I was just suggesting the gal has a good set of lungs to be able fly at high altitudes...;););););););)

Last edited:
She seemed to be on a solo XC pressing conditions. That's not flying racetracks if I got that right.
Even flying 2-3 hour legs on a triangle for 6-9 hours a day doesn't seem like you would really be learning much. I understand that you have to have the magic number to get that job but how does that really look in your book? The logic of an arbitrary number just goes over my head. I know you have to base experience on something, but did I really learn more by flying from Tennessee to Florida in 4 hours in a 152 or in 1.5 hours in a complex aircraft? Between two complex aircraft am I learning more in a NA powered plane at 12,000 ft or in a turbo at 18,000 ft?

Hours earned smashing bugs in a 152 just to increase your hours don't seem all that valuable, no matter how necessary.

Sorry about dragging this off topic.

Sad to see anyone die like this. I would hope that I would have climbed, fessed up, kept my head in the plane on the panel flying IFR and let them vector me to safety, if possible.

May she rest in peace.

MIHOKO TABATA

2-91-2-201 OTA
YAOSI 5810037
Medical
Certificates
COMMERCIAL PILOT
Ratings:
COMMERCIAL PILOT
INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.

With the ratings she had and listening to the audio I am leaning toward Carbon Monoxide along with stress.:dunno: Regardless, its not good.

That still doesn't answer how she acquired possession of the a/c.

She had the keys because she was assigned to the aircraft. She wasn't authorized by the school to solo in it yet.

Even flying 2-3 hour legs on a triangle for 6-9 hours a day doesn't seem like you would really be learning much. I understand that you have to have the magic number to get that job but how does that really look in your book? The logic of an arbitrary number just goes over my head. I know you have to base experience on something, but did I really learn more by flying from Tennessee to Florida in 4 hours in a 152 or in 1.5 hours in a complex aircraft? Between two complex aircraft am I learning more in a NA powered plane at 12,000 ft or in a turbo at 18,000 ft?

Hours earned smashing bugs in a 152 just to increase your hours don't seem all that valuable, no matter how necessary.

Sorry about dragging this off topic.

Sad to see anyone die like this. I would hope that I would have climbed, fessed up, kept my head in the plane on the panel flying IFR and let them vector me to safety, if possible.

May she rest in peace.

And yes, you will learn a lot more flying down low, especially on the Pilot Decision Making front.

Take that same 152 and fly it from FL to WA taking the northern route and you'll get a whole bunch of education.

And yes, you will learn a lot more flying down low, especially on the Pilot Decision Making front.

Take that same 152 and fly it from FL to WA taking the northern route and you'll get a whole bunch of education.

I see you edited that but I was just about to post an old picture I had of a 150 at 11,500 :) Indicating 95kts and catching a tailwind

Back